Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #371
Harry O'Gane

Default Re: [OOC] The Marching Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold View Post
It's DX-5-2 so

Climb @ 3 (rolled a 10)

Grok stands there and silently curses the tiny human ladder.
Oh God I cracked up with laughter like crazy when I read this one.

Yeah, well, anyway... it seems like climbing up those tiny ladders could be a problem. If you think of anything else, I'll be lenient in my decision of allowing you to climb up.

Marko
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #372
Skullcrusher

according to Campagains Page 349 climbing a ladder requires no roll. Not to be a rules lawyer. My roll would be DX-5-2 also so 5 or less to climb a ladder???

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #373
Harry O'Gane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
according to Campagains Page 349 climbing a ladder requires no roll. Not to be a rules lawyer. My roll would be DX-5-2 also so 5 or less to climb a ladder???
I understand that, but these ladders were last used before Lord Walton was even alive. The -2 modifier is the extreme shabbiness of the ladder. I hope you understand. Besides, these are not static ladders, but one of those rope+tiny wooden planks combo. I have a feeling a greater modifier should be here, but hey, it's more interesting this way.

Marko
Old 09-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #374
Skullcrusher

Can we get a bonus for taking extra time to get a bonus otherwise most of us will not make it up.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #375
Skullcrusher

climbing roll
http://rolz.org/embed?742231 7 failed by 2. So I will change my original post to say he didn't even climb up.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #376
Talosian

Quote:
Nice to hear that. You're in the tunnel with the others, right?
I'm pretty sure he'd decided to stay and setup siege preparations outside (because he knew he'd be a bit inactive).

Quote:
Location:-----------------Roll required:---------------Note:
In the tunnel-------------Climb -2 to get up---------- Fail by more than 2 to fall
Below the bed------------Escape+2/DX-4-------------Do NOT crit. fail
Raphael has a 0.463% chance of making the first roll (he'll probably have to try it between 215 and 216 times). Each time, he has a 95.37% chance of falling, so he would most likely kill himself before he made it. Grok has the same odds, Duncan has a 4.63% chance of making the first roll, so it should take him between 21 and 22 tries. He has a 83.796% chance of falling each time.*

Raphael has a 9.26% chance of making the second roll, so he'll most likely have to try it eleven times. He has a 4.63% chance of critically failing each time (trying eleven times, he has about a fifty fifty chance of critically failing). Grok's odds are the same, and Duncan has 25.926% chance of making it, and a 1.852% chance of critical failure each time.*

*This is without taking encumbrance into account.

This is definitely not going to work out, as they'd probably have better luck with the arrows.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #377
Harry O'Gane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
Can we get a bonus for taking extra time to get a bonus otherwise most of us will not make it up.
Take extra time. Or ask those soldiers you brought with you for some aid.

Marko
Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #378
Talosian

What is the default time? (Basic specifies one rung per second, but that could well be different for this ladder, and we still don't know how many rungs there are.) And even taking the maximum extra time (x30), Raphael and Grok will still be rolling against 8, giving them a 25.9% chance of success. They'd have to try about four times, with a 50% chance of falling each time.

I'd expect that the soldiers couldn't do anything but attempt to steady the ladder, and with a dangling rope ladder, that would mean pulling on it to keep it taut. If the ropes are as old as you indicated, I would expect any extra strain to be risky. (Only if the rope was tarred and stored in a safe environment is it likely to be even moderately safe after what sounds like at least a hundred years.)

Bypassing that, if having the soldiers keep it taut would be helpful, than I'd like an idea of what the bonus there would be (so I can tell if it's even possibly safe).
Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #379
Harry O'Gane

Let us say there are some 40 rungs on that particular ladder. Plus, I said that failing by no less than 2 will only shake you a bit, but not actually make you fall. If the soldiers would keep the ladder still, you'd remove this modifier and have an unmodified Climbing roll (or DX-5 roll, if you have no Climbing) + the modifiers for extra time. Or, solution #2:

Get someone who can climb up, make them remove the bed, fasten some ropes soldiers or whoever might have in handy, get the ropes down and pull whoever needs pulling up.

Even though it's a small thing (one Climbing roll), here's a simple example how an at first glance unimportant skill could be a huge obstacle if it was omitted on a character sheet.

Marko
Old 09-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #380
Talosian

Monks, and knights have very little justification for Climbing, though : / Lizard Men, maybe, but not (much) with Grok's background.

Yeah, I'd already suggested the first part of that to Lamech. Just waiting for it to happen. This should give Grok/Raphael a 50% chance of making it, and a 25.9% chance of falling (assuming you still fall on only a failure by more than two).

I don't think anyone has rope (or reason to have rope) in the party... And I can't think of much reason for mercenaries/soldiers to have rope either. They're fighters, not adventurers.

I'll make rolls once the bed has been moved, although Raphael will at least let Grok and Duncan go first.

Tags
banestorm, caithness, civil war, mass combat, yrth