Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #31
tshiggins

Default Re: Project Jade Serenity [Supers/Technothriller]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
That's a good point.

On the other hand, there is some utility for me in having a record of word-for-word interactions from the sessions, as it makes it easier for my PC to have his dialogue echo sentiments or phrasings from prior conversations.

Does dialogue add anything of value for forumites reading or would they rather have the action move along rapidly, brushing past talky scenes with more broad strokes?
Oh, it definitely adds interest to the write-up, and I applaud the choice. I just made a different one, is all.

The only dialogue I include are the funny quotes, at the end.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:53 AM   #32
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Tremendous value... but I'm not sure if my increased enjoyment is worth your trouble and time.
Full disclosure, writing the dialogue is the most fun part. I'm even reading Forrest Gump to try to learn how to transcribe an awful redneck accent, watching Hart of Dixie to try to teach myself to speak with an Alabama drawl and reading some books on Crimson Tide football to pick up cultural touchstones for a 'Bama boy.

Quote:
One reason I semi-suggested recording and talk-to-text speech recognition writing software (something I've thought about for keeping 'permanent' records of my game sessions). I'm just not sure how difficult that would be to set up and even if easy, would it really decrease the workload of turning it into a play synopses?
It wouldn't decrease the work, I think. Aside from the fact that no program will work in Icelandic*, there's also the fact that everything would have to be edited so much that it would amount to a re-write. Game sessions feature a lot of conversation that doesn't interest anyone and has no value to anyone.

*Dialogue is in English, as the game is set in America, but our OOC chatter and descriptions of actions are in Icelandic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Oh, it definitely adds interest to the write-up, and I applaud the choice. I just made a different one, is all.

The only dialogue I include are the funny quotes, at the end.
Unfortunately, I haven't done very well in snappy, funny dialogue. Most of the jokes are OOC, leaving the talky scenes written up purely IC coming off as dramatic, corny and probably rather boring.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-26-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #33
Icelander

Default Lived in Your Chess Game

We've moved around enough boxes for all of us get through to the basement, but moving further will require either some heavy lifting or crawling over boxes. O'Toole and Dr. Anderson immediately start pawing through boxes. Taylor is pacing around in the small space, trying to move his left arm around nonchalantly, obviously in pain, but trying not to show it. After a while, he spots a first-aid kit and digs through it, tossing away aspirin and paracetamol until he finds some ibuprofen, which he washes down with bottled water. Then he moves over to Sherilyn Bell.

Taylor [failing to sound casual]: "What was Warden Tyrrell talkin' about? You know, King and Queen?"
Sherilyn [giggles]: "Oh, he has some pretty wild notions. Wants me to be his Queen." [tosses her hair, strikes a pose]
Sherilyn: "I'm abdicating, though. This place is a lousy kingdom."
Col. Burr: "We're going to need some answers, Ms. Bell. We need to know how you affected the minds of the guards."

Taylor snorts and looks incredulously at Col. Burr. Then he looks theatrically back at Sherilyn Bell, starting at her feet and taking in every delicious inch of her youthfully ripe, seductive beauty as she leans salaciously against a pile of boxes while fluttering her eyelashes. Taylor looks back at Col. Burr with a raised eyebrow.

Taylor: "Would you be a married man at all, Colonel?"

Burr colours and falls momentarily silent. Sherilyn Bell, however, apparently has no concerns about continuing this line of speculation. Sherilyn: "I just prodded the insides of their heads until I found something that made them flip out in interesting ways. Would you like me to show you?" She glides toward Col. Burr wiggling a finger mock-threatheningly at his head. Taylor moves between them and surreptiously grabs Sherilyn Bell's arm, giving her a warning squeeze.

Taylor [to Burr]: "She's just talkin' mind-games, Colonel. Girls been playing them a lot longer than Army Psyops."
Col. Burr: "Mind games? She's got a platoon of men kidnapping federal agents, trying to kill us."
Taylor: "Warden Tyrrell been doing that, not her. A-speaking of that platoon of men, Colonel, you're our best at sensitive site exploitation. Might could ya find anything that would be of use to us? Put together useful stuff we need, med kits, NVGs, web gear, and maybe try to find out what all this is for."
Taylor [to Bell]: "Sherilyn, I'm fixin' to take a look upstairs, find out if there's someone who can hear us. Could you come with me, show me what you know of the layout?"

Col. Burr looks furious, but can't deny that there is merit in going through the boxes and he'd be the best person to organise that effort. Taylor drags Sherilyn Bell along as he crawls on top of some boxes and starts crawling over them to reach the other side of the basement. Sherilyn moves nimbly along with him, taking care to remain close enough for him to be acutely aware of her body.

Sherilyn [throatily, in Taylor's ear]: "I've never been in the barracks, as I said when Mr. M. first mentioned them. So you must want something else..."
Taylor [in her ear]: "Stop. Just stop, Lynnie. You cain't do what you're doin' with Col. Burr. These ain't nice people. I'm not with them because I trust them. I jes' don't see a way for us to survive if we fight them now. And if you scare them, scare him, well, they gonna kill you, Lynnie. You realise how awfully scary mind-control is to politicians and generals? If you can do anything in the same ballpark, even the same sport, Lynnie, no one can ever know 'bout it."
Sherilyn: "All right, Chasie. You know, it's so sweet, how much you care. But if they're so bad, why don't we just leave them?"
Taylor: "Ain't any way for us to get off this island alone. Even if'n we did, it's a bad idea. There are thousands of people trained like me working for the US government. Ain't no life, being hunted. When they caught us, they'd kill us. Kill you. Or put you back in a place like this. Maybe worse. Please, trust me. Lemme help you have a life out of this hell. You deserve one, Lynnie."
Sherilyn [apparently moved]: "Okay. Of course, I trust you. You'll protect me, Chasie dear."
Taylor: "I will. And ter show you trust me, you'll stay right here while I go up the stairs. Out of the line of fire."

Sherilyn pouts, but nods. Taylor motions to Burr and O'Toole to come join him in support. He doesn't wait for them to crawl over the boxes, though, and stalks up the stairs. When he gets close to the stairwell on the ground floor, he can hear some voices upstairs, probably in the dining hall. Taylor estimates that it's only two voices and glances back to see how long it will be until he has support. Burr and O'Toole are still far off, but what Taylor mostly notices is that Sherilyn Bell is only four steps behind him. He sighs, but can't help but be impressed with how close she got while remaining undetected. Even looking straight at her, he doubts that anyone not using night vision would spot her in that shadow. Sherilyn notices him watching her and mouths: "I want to help."

Taylor is about to reflexively order her back down, but stops himself. She has at least the same amount of basic training as O'Toole and if she's still even a little bit of the person she was seventeen years ago, Taylor frankly trusts her better at his side than some rookie cop whose qualifications over her boil down to gender. Denying her agency while her life and her freedom are at risk should he fail comes from a backward, chauvinistic worldview, like the one of Cory Earl Taylor, bigot, bully, sexist and less-than-beloved father. Taylor nods respectfully to her instead, giving her a military hand signal to follow him closely in support.

They stalk up the stairs, pausing on the ground floor only long enough for Taylor to decide that no one seems to be down there, moving on up to the floor with the dining hall. At the top of the stairs there is a door. It's closed, but not locked. Taylor opens it swiftly, but as silently as he can, and moves inside. On the other side of the dining hall are two guards playing cards.

One guard notices the door open and starts sliding his chair backwards, clearing space to reach his pistol. At a flat sprint, Taylor has reached him before the guard finishes drawing his weapon. A hard tackle with a baton in front knocks the guard down in his chair and snaps his weapon wrist with an audible crack. The other guard gets an elbow to the side, which makes him gasp, but the ballistic vest he is wearing robs the blow of most of its force. Taylor then stomps on the abdomen of the guard he knocked down, causing him to cramp up and start vomiting.

Sherilyn Bell is staring intently at the less injured guard, who seems to be trying to scream. Instead of pressing his body alarm, drawing a gun or even moving away, the standing guard tries desperately to loosen his duty belt without touching his gun. Guard: "Get it off, get it off!" When Taylor moves behind him to choke him out, unconsciousness appears to come as a relief. Taylor gives Sherilyn a thumbs up and mouths: "Wow!"

Taylor scans the upper floor for other threats and moves quickly to secure both guards, kicking away their weapons, alarms and radios. As Taylor picks up one M9 on the foor, he notices Sherilyn Bell langorously bending down for the other gun. She's a bit out of breath, bee-stung lips slightly parted, chest heaving with rapid gasps and her eyes are shining with excitement. Taylor tries to focus on the issue of the weapon rather than wondering about her response to the adrenaline or acknowledge how much she's distracting him from the serious danger they are in. Fortunately, Bell seems not to notice him staring or the guilty way he looks away.

Taylor [clearing his throat]: "It ain't fair, nohow, but no way are Col. Burr and O'Toole letting you keep a gun. Willya give it to O'Toole? For me? They'll trust you more if'n they don't have to take it from you."

Sherilyn nods reluctantly and moves to fetch the others downstairs. Taylor starts to secure the two guards, using Israeli handcuffs they had on their duty belts. When she comes back up with Burr and O'Toole, she's not holding a gun and O'Toole has it in his hands. Taylor looks down at the gun in his own belt and then back at O'Toole.

Taylor: "Are we gonna have a problem, Agent O'Toole."
O'Toole: "Not for tonight, Taylor. But remember, last resort.

O'Toole is still really tense after having seen Ms. Bell come downstairs with a gun in her hands. For a moment both he and Col. Burr had been sure she was about to shoot them. She'd given it up cheerfully enough as soon as O'Toole mentioned it, although she couldn't resist a teasingly flirtatious caress of his hand as she handed it over.*

*What us players know, but not the characters, is that when Sherilyn Bell touched Agent O'Toole this time, she succeeded at intuiting what his greatest desire is. As O'Toole has Obsession (Find out the truth about my father and my powers), Ms. Bell somehow realised that O'Toole believes Raul Vargas to be his father and would do anything to find him and be able to talk to him. This is extremely interesting to her, not to mention potentially very useful.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-09-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #34
Rathbone

I am also enjoying this write-up immensely. I find it extra interesting because I grew up in a small town about 30 miles from Luverne. Luverne was on our football schedule. I also have an Uncle who taught at Luverne High School during the time that Taylor would have attended.

I think you are doing an excellent job with Taylor. His dialogue and speaking patterns seem spot on to me. (Although the Alabama drawl does have several flavors).

Thank you for doing this write-up.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #35
Icelander

Default Background of Chase Taylor, from Luverne, Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post
I am also enjoying this write-up immensely. I find it extra interesting because I grew up in a small town about 30 miles from Luverne. Luverne was on our football schedule. I also have an Uncle who taught at Luverne High School during the time that Taylor would have attended.
Oh, wow! That's awesome.

I've got about a million questions.

I don't expect Taylor's first 18 years of living in Luverne will come up a lot in play, but they obviously had a pretty major influence on him.

Would you mind answering a few questions about local flavour?

If Chase Taylor's mother is Betty Taylor, should she have a middle name and would it be something like Betty May, Betty Lynn, Betty Lu, etc., or should it rather be her mother's maiden's name? And is Kinsella acceptable for Betty's maiden name?

Where would Luverne kids drive to go on dates in the 90s? I mean, movies or restaurants beyond the selection available in a town with less than 3,000 people? What's the local 'big city', i.e. the place where you drove for a fun day trip or to have a nice evening?

Would an aggressively anti-intellectual small-time criminal, barroom-brawler and former high school jock like Cory Earl Taylor, Chase's father, still be a fan of college football? Considering that he hates people with college degrees, fancy jobs or who use long words, it seems weird, but on the other hand, Cory Earl would love any excuse for violent tribalism and day-time drinking.

Chase Taylor is a die-hard Tide fan, but I'm vaciliating between having his father not care about college football or being a die-hard Auburn fan and Chase having become a 'Bama fan in reaction.

I know that from Luverne, the Trojans are the nearest college football team with any reputation, but from what I can tell, the Auburn Tigers and Alabama Crimson Tide are orders of magnitude more popular all over Alabama than the less storied teams of other universities, even if these may be more local.

Also, if Chase Taylor loves his mother's cooking and Alabama food in general, what kind of food would he seek out while on military bases and/or in a big city on the East Coast? How can he put a 'Bama touch to the kind of food that he might prepare for himself during adventures, like sandwiches?

What are some candies, snacks or other fast food that someone who grew up in Crenshaw County in the 80s and 90s might especially like?

Quote:
I think you are doing an excellent job with Taylor. His dialogue and speaking patterns seem spot on to me. (Although the Alabama drawl does have several flavors).
Thank you very much.

I had serious doubts that I could avoid an awful and offensive stereotype*, as I haven't been any further South than Virginia. Well, Florida, but the touristy parts don't count. No one in Orlando or Miami actually comes from Florida. And it's not as if I know any Southern people personally. My cousins in the US are New Yorkers through and through. They consider Philly too country and most of them haven't been any further south than Jersey.

If you've got hints about flow, diction, slang terms, sayings, exclamations, weird colloquialisms or other things that might make his dialogue better, please share.

Frankly, I figured that Luverne looked to be close enough to Northern Florida so that sounding like the guards or Warden in Cool Hand Luke wasn't too far off. Not that I can tell the difference between a Mobile drawl, a Montgomery drawl, a Tallahassee drawl or even the Van Zants in Lynyrd Skynyrd, who are from Jacksonville, FL, and probably sound nothing like real Southerners to locals.

If Taylor's drawl is exaggerated or his diction excessively idiosyncratic, it's because even to other Southern people, Chase Taylor is supposed to sound like the kind of rural redneck who lives way outside of town and eats snakes or squirrel for dinner every night. On the plus side, people who find country good ole' boys with a lazy drawl and friendly grin an attractive stereotype** are probaby on Taylor like kittens on catnip.

Taylor also doesn't swear much***, which I figure might not be as weird for an American as it would be for a modern Icelander, but is still probably pretty rare among military men (or in prison). What would a good Southern Baptist boy who takes his momma's admonishments against bad language seriously say instead of more typical swear-words when he gets heated?

*So much so that Chase Taylor has Distinctive Speech (Alabama Drawl) and Epitome (Southern Redneck), both from GURPS Power-Ups 6: Quirks, as well as Social Stigma: Uneducated.
**Classic Features (Good Ole' Boy) to go with his Handsome appearance and Charisma +2. Once he's been long enough off the suppressive drug regimen that Onyx Rain had him on in the USDB, I aim to raise that Appearance to Very Handsome.
***Or at all, unless he gets upset enough to start losing his religion.

Quote:
Thank you for doing this write-up.
Thank you kindly for your encouragement.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-26-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #36
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Background of Chase Taylor, from Luverne, Alabama

Quote:
No one in Orlando or Miami actually comes from Florida.
Not actually true... but close enough. A lot of natives have the "no accent" of the "Midwest News Anchor" from being raised around tons of transplants and tourists. Those that do have a 'southern' accent cultivated it specifically to come across as "rednecks". There are also a lot of native Hispanics with a mild to strong accent (whether Mexican or Cuban). And tons of immigrants all with their own accents.

I know plenty of people in Orlando* (and a few from Miami) who were born and raised in Florida.

* Where I live, but I'm from Chicago by way of Colorado.

Last edited by evileeyore; 02-26-2017 at 08:45 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #37
Rathbone

I wouldn’t mind at all helping with the flavor. However, I left Southeast Alabama the Year before Chase Taylor was born. I do visit every year and have a bunch of kin folk in the area.

Quote:
If Chase Taylor's mother is Betty Taylor, should she have a middle name and would it be something like Betty May, Betty Lynn, Betty Lu, etc., or should it rather be her mother's maiden's name? And is Kinsella acceptable for Betty's maiden name?
Most of the women I knew had a middle name. But it easily could go either way. All the names you listed would be pretty common. Anne is another name I saw used with Betty.

Kinsella would be acceptable but it would be extremely rare. It is a name that I have never heard until now. But given it’s origins that I just looked at it would fit, but it would be noticed as being a bit out of the usual.

Quote:
Where would Luverne kids drive to go on dates in the 90s? I mean, movies or restaurants beyond the selection available in a town with less than 3,000 people? What's the local 'big city', i.e. the place where you drove for a fun day trip or to have a nice evening?
The ‘local’ big city would be Montgomery (State Capital and 3rd largest city in state). It is 50 miles away with a travel time of around 60 minutes – give or take. Troy (@18,000 population) is about 20 miles away and is home of Troy State University (became Troy University in 2005).

Quote:
Would an aggressively anti-intellectual small-time criminal, barroom-brawler and former high school jock like Cory Earl Taylor, Chase's father, still be a fan of college football? Considering that he hates people with college degrees, fancy jobs or who use long words, it seems weird, but on the other hand, Cory Earl would love any excuse for violent tribalism and day-time drinking.

Chase Taylor is a die-hard Tide fan, but I'm vaciliating between having his father not care about college football or being a die-hard Auburn fan and Chase having become a 'Bama fan in reaction.

I know that from Luverne, the Trojans are the nearest college football team with any reputation, but from what I can tell, the Auburn Tigers and Alabama Crimson Tide are orders of magnitude more popular all over Alabama than the less storied teams of other universities, even if these may be more local.
I’d say Cory Earl Taylor would most likely be a “fan” of College Football. It boils down to the excuse you mention. It gives him far too many opportunities to start/provoke trouble. Since he was a high school jock it also lets him brag about what he could have done in Football if it was not for those ‘fancy’ College People.

I’d favor the father being a die-hard fan of Auburn. That would definitely ratchet up the home conflict.

The Trojans are not that followed even now, but in the 1980s and 1990s they were a 2nd Tier Football program. They did not move to Division I until 2005 and even then the big two far overshadow them. Even if someone is a fan of the Trojans they may still be a big fan of Alabama or Auburn.

Quote:
Also, if Chase Taylor loves his mother's cooking and Alabama food in general, what kind of food would he seek out while on military bases and/or in a big city on the East Coast? How can he put a 'Bama touch to the kind of food that he might prepare for himself during adventures, like sandwiches?

What are some candies, snacks or other fast food that someone who grew up in Crenshaw County in the 80s and 90s might especially like?
Well, the main one he’d seek out probably would be grits. He’d also look for a lot of the stereotypical Southern Food. A lot of this is categorized as Soul Food today. The most likely pies he would have seen as a child would be Pecan or Apple.

Sanwiches – Humm --- Bologna, Ham – each could have cheese added, BaconLettuceTomato (BLT), and Peanut Butter and Jelly.

As far as I remember and have seen the Candies are pretty much the Standard Main line ones.

Luverne is in Peanut country so he would have seen Boiled Peanuts and Parched Peanuts and might have developed a taste for boiled. On Labor Day one of the Local Groups (JayCees?) sells bags of Boiled peanuts in Downtown Luverne to Raise Money. I bought some one year when I passed through Luverne headin back to Texas. In my day Boiled and Parched Peanuts were sold by the FFA in the Stands at High School football games. Not sure if that was still being done in the 90s. .

Quote:
If you've got hints about flow, diction, slang terms, sayings, exclamations, weird colloquialisms or other things that might make his dialogue better, please share.

Frankly, I figured that Luverne looked to be close enough to Northern Florida so that sounding like the guards or Warden in Cool Hand Luke wasn't too far off. Not that I can tell the difference between a Mobile drawl, a Montgomery drawl, a Tallahassee drawl or even the Van Zants in Lynyrd Skynyrd, who are from Jacksonville and probably sound nothing like real Southerners to locals.

If Taylor's drawl is exaggerated or his diction excessively idiosyncratic, it's because even to other Southern people, Chase Taylor is supposed to sound like the kind of rural redneck who lives way outside of town and eats snakes or squirrel for dinner every night. On the plus side, people who find country good ole' boys with a lazy drawl and friendly grin an attractive stereotype** are probaby on Taylor like kittens on catnip.

Taylor also doesn't swear much***, which I figure might not be as weird for an American as it would be for a modern Icelander, but is still probably pretty rare among military men (or in prison). What would a good Southern Baptist boy who takes his momma's admonishments against bad language seriously say instead of more typical swear-words when he gets heated?
I’ll share hints as they occur to me.

A lot of people in/from that part of Alabama (including me) have been know to refer to that part of Florida south of Alabama as ‘Lower Alabama’ and or ‘LA’, because as you say, they are very similar.

I heard that type of drawl growing up and it is still very much alive and well.

And you are correct; swearing is not that common in that area. I still don’t swear much. Don’t really remember what I substituted. Frak, I might use nowadays. Then if I slipped a Da** or Sh** might slip out.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:28 AM   #38
Icelander

Quote:
Not actually true... but close enough. A lot of natives have the "no accent" of the "Midwest News Anchor" from being raised around tons of transplants and tourists. Those that do have a 'southern' accent cultivated it specifically to come across as "rednecks". There are also a lot of native Hispanics with a mild to strong accent (whether Mexican or Cuban). And tons of immigrants all with their own accents.

I know plenty of people in Orlando* (and a few from Miami) who were born and raised in Florida.
I was using exaggeration for effect. :-)

Quote:
Most of the women I knew had a middle name. But it easily could go either way. All the names you listed would be pretty common. Anne is another name I saw used with Betty.

Kinsella would be acceptable but it would be extremely rare. It is a name that I have never heard until now. But given it’s origins that I just looked at it would fit, but it would be noticed as being a bit out of the usual.
'Betty Lu' she is, short for Betty Luella. I'll avoid Kinsella, then. I just want a common name that sounds good, one that suggests Alabama more than just any place in the US with some Scots-Irish, one which could suit a few colourful relatives and one that has connotations of rural poor-but-proud whites in Alabama.

Can you suggest a few surnames for his mother's kinfolk?

Quote:
The ‘local’ big city would be Montgomery (State Capital and 3rd largest city in state). It is 50 miles away with a travel time of around 60 minutes – give or take. Troy (@18,000 population) is about 20 miles away and is home of Troy State University (became Troy University in 2005).
Thanks. What about a weekend trip in the summer? What are likely destinations? Gulf Shores, Mobile or somewhere further afield?

Quote:
I’d say Cory Earl Taylor would most likely be a “fan” of College Football. It boils down to the excuse you mention. It gives him far too many opportunities to start/provoke trouble. Since he was a high school jock it also lets him brag about what he could have done in Football if it was not for those ‘fancy’ College People.

I’d favor the father being a die-hard fan of Auburn. That would definitely ratchet up the home conflict.
Cory Earl Taylor went away permanently in 1993, when he finally killed someone. Died in prison in 1999. Chase never got to confront his father as an adult. Which might be why he takes every bully he meets so personally.

I was just thinking about the background for Chase's love-affair with the Crimson Tide. If there were any stories in his life connected with legendary Iron Bowl moments.

Quote:
The Trojans are not that followed even now, but in the 1980s and 1990s they were a 2nd Tier Football program. They did not move to Division I until 2005 and even then the big two far overshadow them. Even if someone is a fan of the Trojans they may still be a big fan of Alabama or Auburn.
Fair enough. So for someone to join the Army instead of trying to play for Troy or some other, less prestigious college, when he's told he's not big or fast enough for the Crimson Tide after the first few months of the season suggests a bit of teenaged petulance?

Quote:
Sanwiches – Humm --- Bologna, Ham – each could have cheese added, BaconLettuceTomato (BLT), and Peanut Butter and Jelly.
Any special condiment or method of preparation that will distinguish an ordinary sandwich anyone could have made from a Southern one with Alabama flavour?

Quote:
Luverne is in Peanut country so he would have seen Boiled Peanuts and Parched Peanuts and might have developed a taste for boiled. On Labor Day one of the Local Groups (JayCees?) sells bags of Boiled peanuts in Downtown Luverne to Raise Money. I bought some one year when I passed through Luverne headin back to Texas. In my day Boiled and Parched Peanuts were sold by the FFA in the Stands at High School football games. Not sure if that was still being done in the 90s. .
I see Luverne has an annual peanut boiling festival. Obviously.

Well, that sounds like a suitably odd culinary quirk for him. Can someone even get boiled peanuts in New England or anywhere else in America than the South?

Quote:
And you are correct; swearing is not that common in that area. I still don’t swear much. Don’t really remember what I substituted. Frak, I might use nowadays. Then if I slipped a Da** or Sh** might slip out.
Does anyone actually use 'gosh' or 'darn'?
Old 02-27-2017, 02:07 AM   #39
corwyn

Quote:

Does anyone actually use 'gosh' or 'darn'?
Non ironically? I don't think so. The last time I heard it was Stuart Smalley on an old SNL rerun.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:01 AM   #40
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Non ironically? I don't think so. The last time I heard it was Stuart Smalley on an old SNL rerun.
I've heard it, but generally only from older people (like 70's+).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covert ops, jade serenity, special ops, supers, supersoldiers, tactical shooting