Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2018, 07:20 AM   #1
arnej

Default Demons and Machines at HP 0

My aged brain seemed to think that demons and/or machines died when they reached HP 0. Talking with my GM last night, and he could not recall anything like this.

Is or was this a thing?
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Demons and Machines at HP 0

Well, some demons or other supernatural types have the Fragile (Unnatural) disadvantage, which causes them to die automatically when they reach -1XHP (i.e., they automatically fail their first death check). I believe in 3e, that actually kicked in as soon as you went below 0 HP instead. That may be what you're thinking of?

As for vehicles, though, I don't know where you would have got that from. In 4e, Fragile (Unnatural) is certainly not a common trait for them, and I don't believe it applied in 3e either.
Kelly Pedersen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Per B483, objects (including machines) start making HT rolls to avoid becoming disabled (not functional at all) at 0 HP. They start making HT rolls to avoid being "destroyed" at -1x HP. At -5x HP, they're automatically destroyed. So, roughly analogous to living creatures, and tougher than Fragile.

I suppose some vehicles might be Fragile (Combustible / Explosive / Flammable). Oh, the inhumanity!
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnej View Post
Is or was this a thing?
It was in 3rd edition.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:38 AM   #5
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I suppose some vehicles might be Fragile (Combustible / Explosive / Flammable). Oh, the inhumanity!
That would be the Ford Pinto, so infamous that it's a meme (though apparently the memo wasn't quite what it's reputed to be; still pretty cold, though).

Also the Hindenberg, but the Pinto should not be forgotten.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

The Pinto was a bad design, but its danger was outright lied about including that famous doctored with explosives "news" program demonstration.
The Hindenburg burned due to flammable paint, not the actual dirigible's design. Most passengers survived after all.

No one's going to design expensive machines that catastrophically fail when damaged unless absolutely unavoidable.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The Pinto was a bad design, but its danger was outright lied about including that famous doctored with explosives "news" program demonstration.
The Pinto's demonstration was "genuine" in the sense that the cars had no modifications, but the tests were set up in an absolutely worst case scenario (gas cap loose, hit exactly where it was most likely to result in an explosion, etc.).

It was Dateline NBC's coverage of GM pickups in the 90s that used incendiary devices to enhance the truth.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Was it? Poo, I hate when my memory gets more muddled than usual.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The Hindenburg burned due to flammable paint, not the actual dirigible's design.
Dope isn't some sort of decorative "paint", the dope used is part of the actual dirigible's design. The dope performs the vitally required function of reflecting heat to prevent spontaneous combustion (or just over-expansion and unexpected changes in volume, leading to leaks and wacky balance).

The thermite dope theory was debunked, it was based on the very flawed idea that three elements in any ratio and arrangement make for the same substance.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The thermite dope theory was debunked, it was based on the very flawed idea that three elements in any ratio and arrangement make for the same substance.
Which doesn't mean the structure didn't burn, of course. It was certainly flammable, whether or not it was the actual cause of the fire.

Tags
demons, machines, robots