Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-19-2017, 04:24 AM   #11
GoblynByte

Default Re: Selling to players only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
No it doesn't, it doesn't really have anything about how to actually play the game and there is no setting worldbook in the boxed set at all. GMs are mostly on their own to provide any setting information for the players.
So, that whole 4-page Introduction chapter and 7-page Basics chapter don't provide the player with any information? And, yes, I know there is no formal setting. The "setting" in DF is the play style. And Adventurers discusses that explicitly.

Quote:
I would much rather encourage the kind of players who show up knowing how to play and ready to collaborate with each other and me when making compatible and appropriate characters than the kind who insists on making characters in a vacuum and refuses to learn the basics of the game system.
Okay, you're not into the idea. Noted. For you, there is buying the entire box set. Which exists. Your problem is solved.

But, again, there would be people who are into the idea. People who would normally pass entirely based on cost alone. The 8 people in my group, for example, for whom finances might be an issue. And this would encourage them to spend some money. On GURPS. Which is a good thing.
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
GoblynByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblynByte View Post
Okay, you're not into the idea. Noted. For you, there is buying the entire box set. Which exists. Your problem is solved.

But, again, there would be people who are into the idea. People who would normally pass entirely based on cost alone. The 8 people in my group, for example, for whom finances might be an issue. And this would encourage them to spend some money. On GURPS. Which is a good thing.
No, I am saying that claiming that Exploits is 75% useless for players is simply incorrect. Players really should read it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #13
Harald387

Quote:
I can get behind selling the books separately - not a bad idea - but I can also say from actual play experience that as a player, I end up referencing DF2 far, far more often than DF1.

I need the character templates and creation instructions once, maybe twice, in a campaign, and again if I end up with a lot of points to spend and don't have a plan in place for where to spend them. I need the equipment chapters a bit more often, but generally not more than once for each trip back to town; during the adventure, I'll only occasionally need to reference how a given potion or power works.

By contrast, DF2 is the book that has all of the systems for actually using the skills on the character sheet. I'll reference that (or the Basic Set) multiple times per session, for everything from acrobatics to attack options to climbing rules. It's the 'how to do' for everything.

With Exploits filling the niche of both Basic Set and DF2 for DFRPG, that's the book that I'd far rather have in the hands of every player at the table.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #14
PK

<MOD>

SP and GB, you two are starting to get into a loop. Please don't let things heat up here. You may have to just agree to disagree.

</MOD>

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:06 AM   #15
GoblynByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
<MOD>

SP and GB, you two are starting to get into a loop. Please don't let things heat up here. You may have to just agree to disagree.

</MOD>
No worries. I was already done.
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
GoblynByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 PM   #16
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
I can get behind selling the books separately - not a bad idea - but I can also say from actual play experience that as a player, I end up referencing DF2 far, far more often than DF1.
Ditto. Once the character is made i have almost no need to crack that book again (occasionally when my list of "I need to buy this ability next" get's low), but 2 and 16 are goto books.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #17
demonsbane

Quote:
I think it would be a great idea (at least from a consumer perspective) to sell the Adventurers PDF separately.
I've read the entire thread and here I go with a different angle, but from the same perspective:

What about being able to get separate physical copies of this or that book of the DFRPG box. One may want to have more than one Adventurers or Spells books for a number of reasons without wanting to buy additional boxes.

Now this is a suggestion of accessibility blatantly ignoring the publisher's point of view: I understand there are important factors to consider in this kind of choices.

(I'm aware of the PDF versions that can be printed once, and I'm talking of original SJG's printings, not from Lulu or similar.)

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #18
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post

What about being able to get separate physical copies of this or that book of the DFRPG box. One may want to have more than one Adventurers or Spells books for a number of reasons without wanting to buy additional boxes.

Now this is a suggestion of accessibility blatantly ignoring the publisher's point of view: I understand there are important factors to consider in this kind of choices.

(I'm aware of the PDF versions that can be printed once, and I'm talking of original SJG's printings, not from Lulu or similar.)
What about POD? That seems to me a viable option for books like Spells which I especially see a mage or cleric player wanting for themselves.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #19
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
What about POD?
I refer to that with the part between parentheses (by mentioning Lulu and similar), in contrast with SJG printings.

From the consumer perspective it would be nice to be able to get DFRPG books separately.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #20
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
I refer to that with the part between parentheses (by mentioning Lulu and similar), in contrast with SJG printings.

From the consumer perspective it would be nice to be able to get DFRPG books separately.
Sorry I meant the Create Space POD that they have been using with other books,
I should have been more specific.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote