Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #41
GM Joe

Default Re: GURPS Reprints - Magic, Thaumatology, and Ultra-Tech

Joe, unless I'm misunderstanding something, it looks like you may not be aware that Amazon owns CreateSpace. The ones on Amazon are the same as the ones on CreateSpace. It's all POD, just two different interfaces to the same thing.

I hope that helps.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #42
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
Joe, unless I'm misunderstanding something, it looks like you may not be aware that Amazon owns CreateSpace. The ones on Amazon are the same as the ones on CreateSpace. It's all POD, just two different interfaces to the same thing.

I hope that helps.
Yup. To reenforce that if you doubt, if you look at the publication information on the Amazon website it's all exactly the same as the publication info on CreateSpace, from the pub date of Nov 28 2016 and the version numbers of each of the books.

They're literally just plugging the sales information from CreateSpace into their main Amazon store to make the books more visible. The CreateSpace website, OTOH, is meant for the original sellers to be able to set up a web store that isn't Amazon branded so that they can create a storefront that meshes with their brand and isn't... overwhelmed... by the Amazon store. There's no reason for a customer to avoid ordering through one storefront or the other, and going through Amazon's main site has numerous advantages (using your existing account, using Amazon gift cards and promo codes, free shipping in the US and cheap shipping in other parts of the world, etc).
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #43
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
They're literally just plugging the sales information from CreateSpace into their main Amazon store to make the books more visible. The CreateSpace website, OTOH, is meant for the original sellers to be able to set up a web store that isn't Amazon branded so that they can create a storefront that meshes with their brand and isn't... overwhelmed... by the Amazon store. There's no reason for a customer to avoid ordering through one storefront or the other, and going through Amazon's main site has numerous advantages (using your existing account, using Amazon gift cards and promo codes, free shipping in the US and cheap shipping in other parts of the world, etc).
This actually sounds pretty good as its another way to increase GURPS visibility.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #44
Joe

Quote:

I hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Yup. There's no reason for a customer to avoid ordering through one storefront or the other, and going through Amazon's main site has numerous advantages (using your existing account, using Amazon gift cards and promo codes, free shipping in the US and cheap shipping in other parts of the world, etc).
Woah, thanks folks! I know that Amazon owns CreateSpace, but I didn't know that I could order the POD stuff through the standard storefront, and thus get better shipping etc etc. Amazing! Thanks for the scoop.

This makes buying POD GURPS books irresistible!

I already have hard copies of both Magic and Thaumatology, but I only have Ultra-Tech in PDF.... New physical GURPS books here we come!

Last edited by Joe; 12-01-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #45
demonsbane

It's great to see some print-on-demand for making again available physical GURPS books.

Concerning the usage of color:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Cost, mainly. POD is more expensive per unit than a full print run, so it's crucial to have a price point that doesn't scare everyone away.
I think it's understandable. Now, I wonder if it would be possible to make available alternative qualities for CreateSpace's GURPS printings.

I mean, certain titles at DriveThruRPG allow the choice between "normal" and "deluxe" PoD versions, this meaning differences in paper and printing quality. So a "deluxe" treatment here for these GURPS books could include color, of course at a different cost.

Surely you already considered this, however I'm just making this comment for what it's worth.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 12-03-2016 at 12:14 AM.
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:35 AM   #46
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Now, I wonder if it would be possible to make available alternative qualities for CreateSpace's GURPS printings.
If sales of these three titles are strong enough then we will explore more options. For now, though, we're keeping a close eye on all of the GURPS initiatives we have launched over the last three to four months. We need to gather more intelligence on the size/viability of the audience before we invest more resources into physical GURPS titles.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #47
GM Joe

I received my POD copies of Magic, Thaumatology, and Ultra-Tech this morning (you gotta love Amazon Prime delivery).

All three books look and feel very good. The covers look great, the interior art and tables are nicely greyscaled, and it's easy to flip through the books. The text is crisp and clean.

I'm still glad I have the original hardbacks, but these will be great table & travel copies. If they get messed up, no problem -- a replacement is cheap and easily obtained. Plus, these are up-to-date with all the errata!

I hope SJGames finds this a viable way to keep the whole GURPS line in print...and perhaps to produce nice copies or compilations of some of the more popular PDF titles.

Last edited by GM Joe; 12-03-2016 at 07:35 AM.
GM Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #48
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
I hope SJGames finds this a viable way to keep the whole GURPS line in print...and perhaps to produce nice copies or compilations of some of the more popular PDF titles.
It all depends on sales. If there is enough demand then we will release more books through Createspace.

Please be sure to spread the links for these titles to others.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #49
GM Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Please be sure to spread the links for these titles to others.
Don't worry; I am. :) I want GURPS to grow.

Last edited by GM Joe; 12-03-2016 at 11:15 AM.
GM Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #50
Joe

My new Printed-on-Demand copy of Ultra-Tech arrived today - and it's beautiful! Anyone else who is considering a purchase should feel confident - it's great quality printing.

Tags
print on demand, reprint