Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
Erling

Default Slam and knocking down

Example #1

A weakling (ST 7, HP 7) slams at an athlete (ST 15, HP 15) after running 5 yards.

Weakling rolls (HP x speed)/100 = 35 / 100 = 0.35 = 1d-2
Athlete rolls (HP x speed)/100 = 75/100 = 0.75 = 1d-1

Therefore, the weakling has a 41.67% chance to make the athlete roll for DX to avoid falling down (and perhaps about 16% chance to make the athlete fall down automatically, by here my math may fail me).

Example #2

Same as #1, but weakling uses AoA (Strong) to increase his damage roll by +2. Rolls become 1d vs. 1d-1.

Weakling has a 72.22% chance to make the athlete roll for DX to avoid falling down (and perhaps about 37% chance to make the athlete fall down automatically, by here my math may fail me).

Example #3

Same as #1, but weakling has run 1 yard instead of 5 yards.

Weakling rolls (HP x speed)/100 = 7 / 100 = 0.07 = 1d-3
Athlete rolls (HP x speed)/100 = 15/100 = 0.15 = 1d-3

Therefore, the weakling has a 58.33% chance to make the athlete roll for DX to avoid falling down.

Example #4

Same as #1, but combatants switched their roles.

Athlete rolls 1d-1.
Weakling rolls 1d-2.

Therefore, the athlete has a 72.22% chance to make the weakling roll for DX to avoid falling down (and perhaps about 50% chance to make the weakling fall down automatically, by here my math may fail me).

My questions are:
1. Are my examples correct?
2. If not, where's my mistake?
3. If yes, don't you think that high ST doesn't provide sufficient resistance to being knocked down by a slam?
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Slam and knocking down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling View Post
3. If yes, don't you think that high ST doesn't provide sufficient resistance to being knocked down by a slam?
You've never been bowled over by a kid half your size before have you?

But, this is why I prefer DFRPG's slam rules, both do thrust-2* crushing damage modified by speed (SSR bonus added to each die) to each other, lower result makes a DX check or falls down, if the higher result is twice the lower falling down is automatic.

* Your ST 15 person is doing 1d-1 and the ST 7 is doing 1d-5, before calculating for speed. You get better disparities at 'human' ranges.

Quote:
Therefore, the weakling has a 58.33% chance...
Based solely on this parameter I think your math is wrong. Both contestants are rolling the same dice, it should be a 50/50 split yeah?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:52 AM   #3
Erling

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
But, this is why I prefer DFRPG's slam rules, both do thrust-2* crushing damage modified by speed (SSR bonus added to each die) to each other, lower result makes a DX check or falls down, if the higher result is twice the lower falling down is automatic.
Interesting. I think I should learn more about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Based solely on this parameter I think your math is wrong. Both contestants are rolling the same dice, it should be a 50/50 split yeah?
Tie causes target to make a DX roll to avoid falling down, thus the inequality of chances.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:12 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling View Post
Interesting. I think I should learn more about it.
Those are the rules in my post, there isn't really much more to it than that (though Sumo and Shield add as per Basic, and there are a few other nuances).

Quote:
Tie causes target to make a DX roll to avoid falling down, thus the inequality of chances.
Ah, right. I was overlooking ties.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote