Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2019, 02:28 AM   #1
scc

Default Books For DF Games

So I want to know what books people think should be considered canon (I literally can't think of a better term) for DF games.

Basic Set is mandatory, as is the entire Dungeon Fantasy line, Magic, and Dungeon Styles. The Magic expansion books are also rather obvious additions.

Powers is probably helpful for all the extra Powers stuff, even if it's more likely to be used at a background level.

Martial Arts is useful for combat types.

The third edition Magic Items series is good for more magic items of course.

Low-Tech for extra gear, even if armor weights are a problem.

So any others that people use?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Books For DF Games

I've used everything you listed except for Powers.

I have also consulted the Locations and Hot Spots series for maps, ideas, etc., and Creatures of the Night for interesting foes. I've used Underground Adventures to add bits of verisimilitude to the hoary dungeon halls.

From my third edition library, I still regularly consult various world books along with Bestiary, Fantasy Bestiary, Wizards, Warriors, and Rogues.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #3
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
From my third edition library, I still regularly consult various world books along with Bestiary, Fantasy Bestiary, Wizards, Warriors, and Rogues.
Don't forget Villains for ideas for the BBEG ... and giving flavor to NPCs in the tavern who may be working against the PCs, on either side of the law.

I haven't really messed with Powers in my fantasy games; I'm more likely to turn to Power-Ups 4 and 8 (Enhancements and Limitations respectively) if I need to adjust an exotic or paranormal trait on creatures, or working out stuff for Sorcery. Also during chargen I encourage Power-Ups 2, 3, 6, and 7 (Perks, Talents, Quirks, and Wildcard Skills).

Thaumatology also comes into play a lot, but then again my own fantasy setting has Path/Book magic as a standard feature.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Don't forget Villains for ideas for the BBEG ... and giving flavor to NPCs in the tavern who may be working against the PCs, on either side of the law.
Ah yes, I love that one! I wish I could get it on PDF. I don't have as much shelf space these days for my gaming collection, so it's still out in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Also during chargen I encourage Power-Ups 2, 3, 6, and 7 (Perks, Talents, Quirks, and Wildcard Skills).
I recommend Quirks to my players and consult the others from time to time. I need to take a long look at Wildcard Skills and think about how I could use that to simplify things for younger players.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote