Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-05-2019, 06:50 AM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Carrying lots of stuff on bicycles

Hello everyone!

So I've been thinking in the context of a possible AtE game, but it could probably be adapted to any other setting...

So, Vietnamese and other people living in poorer Asian countries have the reputation to be able to carry some truly impressive loads on bicycles. So, is that a specialty of the Freight Handling skill? Just how much can you carry on a TL 8 bike? Could it be a plausible alternative to horses and the like in AtE settings? Could you expect bicycles to be relatively common in a realistic AtE setting?

Thanks!
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Carrying lots of stuff on bicycles

The status of bicycles depends on the nature of the end, but I could see a lot of them being around in a majority of cases. The biggest difficulty is replacing and repairing the tire tubes. There are probably ways to work around that.

I know that bikes are sometimes ridden with big weights, but other times are used as the equivalent of mules, walked around with heavy loads.

I'd say that both bicycling and freight handling should be used for cycling about with 60 lbs of scrap iron.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
khorboth

Since an IQ-based bicycling roll lets you make simple repairs, I would imagine the same would work for loading one.

I'd probably also allow freight handling or packing.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
Since an IQ-based bicycling roll lets you make simple repairs, I would imagine the same would work for loading one.

I'd probably also allow freight handling or packing.
It does sound like Hiking covering loading a pack and not just the literal hiking.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
So, is that a specialty of the Freight Handling skill?
I'd say it's straight Freight Handling (though an optional Speciality would also be appropriate).

Quote:
Just how much can you carry on a TL 8 bike?
As someone who has loaded up the ole bicycle and gone a trippin....

I'd treat it as a two wheeled cart.

Quote:
Could it be a plausible alternative to horses and the like in AtE settings? Could you expect bicycles to be relatively common in a realistic AtE setting?
A tentative yes. Depends on your apocalypse. But even then horses have an advantage of eating grasses and not requiring any tech beyond TL 0 to use or care for*. So while you could replace horses, a lot of communities (again depending on the apoc) won;t be likely to.

An apocalypse that left cities and roads largely intact? Oh hecks yeah!

* Yes, yes I know, the better your tech, the better the horse's health and safety.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Horses have a lot of upkeep. Working horses need more nutrition that grass alone can provide, I think. They take time to grow, need medical care, etc.

There is a reason why they were status animals.

Bikes and trikes seem far more of a bargain for most post-apoc situations. Though off road bikes probably take a hint higher tech to maintain than a 19th century one gear safety bike.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #7
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Horses have a lot of upkeep. Working horses need more nutrition that grass alone can provide, I think. They take time to grow, need medical care, etc.
That's why an AtE situation will be a huge boost up for donkeys and oxen over horses - donkeys can't carry nearly as much, and are slower, and oxen can't work for as long (and are slower except under really heavy loads, which slow horses right down), but both can work on mere grass and hay.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:17 AM   #8
Michele

It would be worth trying to rebuild in GURPS mechanics a bicycle with the old GURPS Vehicles. Two wheels, musclepower propulsion, light open frame - you could end up knowing the theoretical maximum payload.

For using a bike as a two-wheeled cart, you can simply use the rule on p. B353. On a good road, you'd divide effective weight by 20! (by 10 for a two-wheeled cart, and halved for the road). The upper limit would probably kick in, which is 15 x BL.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #9
Bruno

The big reason why you see enormous loads balanced on a bike instead of in a bike trailer is heavy traffic: A bike trailer makes your bike that much bigger and harder to maneuver in a press of people.

In an ATE situation, you shouldn't have that kind of population density, making a trailer (or sidecar, or what-have you) much more viable. That said, given a trailer, some people will overload the trailer, and then overload the bike.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Hello everyone!

So I've been thinking in the context of a possible AtE game, but it could probably be adapted to any other setting...

So, Vietnamese and other people living in poorer Asian countries have the reputation to be able to carry some truly impressive loads on bicycles. So, is that a specialty of the Freight Handling skill? Just how much can you carry on a TL 8 bike? Could it be a plausible alternative to horses and the like in AtE settings? Could you expect bicycles to be relatively common in a realistic AtE setting?

Thanks!
Based on my experience, I would let Freight Handling cover a balanced, stable load with a low centre of gravity. Falling sideways can be a danger, especially before you get up to speed.

Critical failures will result in penalties to Bicycling skill, objects falling off at just the wrong time or being caught by passing traffic, or breakage.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote