Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #11
platimus

Default Re: IQ rise and talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
How about for where to learn them?

I.e. the missing five paragraphs from original Advanced Wizard "Learning New Spells" on page 10.
I started skimming through the rules and found The Wizard's Guild so far (ITL p. 60)
Books and Scrolls on ITL p. 141

Last edited by platimus; 09-29-2018 at 03:36 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
JLV

The only use "IQ slots" have in the new system is creating a new character. After that, they are irrelevant, since new spells/talents are learned via expending XP.

Similarly, the complex rules for "learning new spells/talents" (and forgetting them too) are no longer necessary, since it explicitly states that you are presumed to be learning the new spell/talent during the time you accumulate the XP necessary to acquire it. In effect, it's all handled in the background now.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
Wayne

I assumed that whenever you buy another IQ point that you automatically got another spell or talent slot included in the XP cost.

My assumption is based on this sentence:
Quote:
Somewhere around a total of 36 or 37 stat points, most players will choose to start learning new abilities instead of buying higher stats.
The implication is that prior to that, it is more cost effective to just increase the stat.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #14
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I assumed that whenever you buy another IQ point that you automatically got another spell or talent slot included in the XP cost.

My assumption is based on this sentence:

Code:
Somewhere around a total of 36 or 37 stat points, most players will choose to start learning new abilities instead of buying higher stats.
The implication is that prior to that, it is more cost effective to just increase the stat.
That means that at around 36 or 37 stat points, the cost to raise your stats gets so high that you'll start spending your XP on talents instead of stats.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #15
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
That means that at around 36 or 37 stat points, the cost to raise your stats gets so high that you'll start spending your XP on talents instead of stats.
Yes, I realise that now. I was just explaining the basis of my assumption.

Because there's a potential misunderstanding here an extra sentence or two of clarification would be useful.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #16
JLV

A reminder, "IQ slots" no longer count for anything other than creating a new character.

Thereafter, you may learn any talents/spells that you have the XP to buy, and do not exceed your raw IQ ability (e.g., if your IQ is 13, you can't learn an IQ 14 spell or talent). You are no longer limited in sheer number of talents/spells, other than by your ability to accumulate the necessary XP to "buy" them.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #17
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
A reminder, "IQ slots" no longer count for anything other than creating a new character.

Thereafter, you may learn any talents/spells that you have the XP to buy, and do not exceed your raw IQ ability (e.g., if your IQ is 13, you can't learn an IQ 14 spell or talent). You are no longer limited in sheer number of talents/spells, other than by your ability to accumulate the necessary XP to "buy" them.
I hope 3 reminders are enough.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:53 PM   #18
Skarg

Either way, the line about how at 36 or 37 points, you'll want to switch to buying talents (at 500 XP per talent point) seems like it is really out of scale with the listed attribute costs, which are only 800 XP for the 37th point.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:02 PM   #19
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Either way, the line about how at 36 or 37 points, you'll want to switch to buying talents (at 500 XP per talent point) seems like it is really out of scale with the listed attribute costs, which are only 800 XP for the 37th point.
At 36, you'll pay 400 to reach 37. 400 is only 100 less than 500. At 37, you'll pay 800 to get to 38. 800 is 300 more than 500. It seems completely in scale. At what stat-level do you expect players will start spending their XP on Talents instead of stats?
Old 09-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #20
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Has this been explicitly stated anywhere?

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote