Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: parole, criminal watchlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That would also remove the watched part of enemy as many, regardless of specifics of crimes, are actively hunted and abused.
In general that's covered by social stigma. "Convicted Child Molester" is a more severe stigma than just "ex-con".
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
In general that's covered by social stigma. "Convicted Child Molester" is a more severe stigma than just "ex-con".
Stigma must be obvious from physical appearance.... oh wait, or easily learned by anyone who cares to check up on you.
So sex offenders' registry would work, but those are never very specific lumping all forms together. So public urinators could suffer similar issues as full on sexual predators due to incomplete but easily found records and humanity's love of jumping to conclusions.
Most other crimes don't have any listing that's so trivial to find, so I don't think ex-cons in general, in most societies, qualify for Stigma.

Cultures that maim criminals would make even those that suffered similar wounds from other means suffer the stigma despite never having committed crimes though.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Stigma must be obvious from physical appearance.... oh wait, or easily learned by anyone who cares to check up on you.
So sex offenders' registry would work, but those are never very specific lumping all forms together. So public urinators could suffer similar issues as full on sexual predators due to incomplete but easily found records and humanity's love of jumping to conclusions.
Most other crimes don't have any listing that's so trivial to find, so I don't think ex-cons in general, in most societies, qualify for Stigma.
Employer background checks pick up criminal records and the -5 "Social Stigma Ex-Con" is one of the examples in the book. The fact that it isn't universally detectable is compensated for by law enforcement personnel all being equipped to find it out and reacting at a -2 when when they do.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:40 PM   #14
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Back when I asked about Neil Caffrey of White Collar in the thread Prisoner are Release/Parole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Just add Involuntary to the Duty: It's enforced socially – by taking away rights – rather than emotionally (menacing your family) or physically (through threats of violence). Parole is one of the archetypes of Duty (Involuntary). Nonhazardous need not be the case; in some jurisdictions, your odds of getting a corrupt PO who abuses his authority to jeopardize your situation are very high.
This was in addition to the Social Stigma(Criminal Record), and not quite Social Stigma(Subjugated)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #15
jason taylor

Quote:

Cultures that maim criminals would make even those that suffered similar wounds from other means suffer the stigma despite never having committed crimes though.
Unless it is well known that the crime could have been something that is not a direct threat. If he has whip scars(which would only show when he removed his shirt) that could mean no more then,"he was an enlisted man in the navy" and a lot of sailors would have those even if the cat was not applied quite as liberally as legend paints.

Unless it was well known that he had gotten flogged for something odious like stealing rations it would not impair him more then any other low class worker in getting a dockyard job or suchlike.

Last edited by jason taylor; 02-24-2017 at 06:48 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

I was thinking more along the lines of losing a hand or nose for stealing.
I believe that's why one of the earliest plastic surgeries was nose reconstruction for well off ex-cons in India.

Whip scars that aren't easily seen may qualify for a secret in some situations.

Tags
criminal, disadvantage, law, parole