Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #21
dcarson

Default Re: Infinite Worlds: Fiction-Based Timelines

Modesty Blaise and Willie Garvin. Although it might be more likely that they steal a conveyer.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #22
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Modesty Blaise and Willie Garvin. Although it might be more likely that they steal a conveyer.
Well, they showed up in the backstory of the Emberverse; Sam Aylward and Willie Garvin were drinking buddies.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #23
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
What are ISWAT's recruitment criteria?

I was in a discussion about later Leagues of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and I remember suggesting Modesty Blaise and Willie Garvin as field commanders and the Duke of Denver (i.e. Peter Whimsey) as M. (That would have been for the 1970s).
Peter wasn't going to become the Duke. His idiot nephew had a prior claim.

Bill Stoddard
Old 11-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #24
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
What are ISWAT's recruitment criteria?
Very loose, as they almost have to be for such a deniable (and exotic) branch. According to GURPS Infinite Worlds, p. 18:
--There are likely less than 100 active-duty squads (each made up of 5 to 7 agents, typically).

--More than half of ISWAT's agents are outtimers.

--Some of the outtimers are "resume' recruits" recruited for their known talent, like an alternate Nathan Bedford Forrest or Harry Houdini; some are locals who provided extraordinary help to a Patrol operation or demonstrated extraordinary abilities; and a few actually managed to discover an ISWAT operation and ferret out for themselves what was going on. (ISWAT's chief doesn't believe in sending those ones to Coventry; investigative talent like that is too good to waste.)

-- Recruits from within the ranks of the Patrol are chosen based on a record of "toughness, creativity, flexibility, and (most importantly) luck."

--The training regimen is classic special ops, mixed with generous dollops of history and anthropology.

--In GURPS terms, there is no standard ISWAT template. Anything from Captain America to Miyamoto Musashi to Archangel Michael could wind up in the ranks, and probably has. The agents share a Duty, maybe a few basic skills, and that's about it.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #25
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Two that come to mind are:

Ellery Queen as portrayed in the old TV series.

Quentin E Deverill as portrayed by Sam Waterston in an unfortunately short-lived TV series that was set in the early 1900s.

James West (The Robert Conrad version) and Artemus Gordon - would be perfect ....especially before those awful reunion movies become 'canon'.

- Ed Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:28 AM   #26
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Peter wasn't going to become the Duke. His idiot nephew had a prior claim.
Dorothy Sayers at one point remarked that she imagined that Jerry would become a combat pilot and be killed during the war.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #27
whswhs

Quote:
Dorothy Sayers at one point remarked that she imagined that Jerry would become a combat pilot and be killed during the war.
Well, (a), that's possible but it doesn't make it canon if she didn't write the story, and (b) it's also possible that he got married before going off to war and begat a son. So I'm going to say "not a foregone conclusion." But I'll grant you could justify Lord Peter inheriting if you wanted to.

Bill Stoddard
Old 11-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #28
Zorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Raistlin, be very VERY afraid.
I think he would be more likely to join then take over a Cabel...then try and become a high master...then try and became the god of Astral and rule over all the Infinite worlds. Just saying, he's not really what we would call a "joiner". :)

Agatha Heterodyne or failing that her Uncle...maybe that's where he's been since she was little. :)
Zorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds