Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #171
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Shouldnt this be determined with Diplomacy rolls?
No. The two major political parties in the United States are not characters and their one shared main interest is self-preservation. The two parties currently in power have shared power for more than 150 years, with no more than token challenges in that time. I think you have to go back nearly a century to find the last time a third party earned an electoral vote (as distinct from a faithless elector casting one in protest). Tribalism is very much alive and well in the U.S. and political tribalism more so than almost any other.

As to the tenor of the overall discussion -- you keep asserting that events will happen (such as the assassination of several sitting Supreme Court justices) without either providing a means how they could happen or thinking about the very possible consequences of those actions. Until you DO acknowledge the very serious flaws in your argument, you're going to have a difficult time getting your posts taken seriously.

And having said THAT: all posters are reminded that we require civility from everyone, and that specifically includes not insulting other posters no matter how artfully that insult is constructed. You may attack ideas as much as you like as long as you don't shift focus to the person expressing them. If you find someone particularly obnoxious, we highly recommend the use of your Ignore List.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 01-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #172
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
And in any case, a scheme that relies on all three of unprecedented political success, violent seizure of power, and invention of radical new technology being successful is overcomplicated and seems almost certain to fail.
At least we have managed to move from implausibility to a minimum possibility of success. That seems to me a victory in itself.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #173
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
After making all the effort to formulate an equation with which to calculate the price of each representative and each senator in a certain state, by personal principles now I will continue with it XD
Well, step one is to discard that equation, as it's ridiculously nonlinear (buying an election outright is probably possible but is on the order of a trillion dollar investment).
Old 01-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #174
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
... you keep asserting that events will happen (such as the assassination of several sitting Supreme Court justices) without either providing a means how they could happen or thinking about the very possible consequences of those actions. Until you DO acknowledge the very serious flaws in your argument, you're going to have a difficult time getting your posts taken seriously.
I'm not an expert in murders, and I do not usually represent action scenes, so I think there are players much better prepared than me to choose the specific circumstances in which a certain event can occur. That's why I try to leave the details open, in case someone comes up with a good idea.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #175
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, step one is to discard that equation, as it's ridiculously nonlinear (buying an election outright is probably possible but is on the order of a trillion dollar investment).
You're right but the equation is perfect because you have not considered the wide range of possibilities offered by TL10/11 viral marketing. Eliminate TL10/11 viral marketing and suddenly you're looking at a budget of 470 billion dollars at best (3.3 trillion dollars if you use the first form of the equation).

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #176
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Basically, if you want even remotely plausible settings, you probably shouldn't expect simple Quick Contests to produce usable results if they happen in a vacuum without the GM considering how complicated and difficult certain things are in real life. It's perfectly within the GURPS rule system to say 'You'll have to win a Regular Contest of Propaganda vs. population Will for that, before you get to the Politics and Diplomacy part of the plan. Roll once per year, with a +6 TDM to the Will for powerful forces of inertia and entrenched interests working against your goals'.
To say the least. Anything this major really ought never to be resolved by allowing a simple Quick Contest.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #177
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
To say the least. Anything this major really ought never to be resolved by allowing a simple Quick Contest.
Even if only speaking from a gamist point of view, Super Luck is not priced to allow PCs to reduce years of preparations by thousands of people into one die roll that automatically critically succeeds.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #178
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Even if only speaking from a gamist point of view, Super Luck is not priced to allow PCs to reduce years of preparations by thousands of people into one die roll that automatically critically succeeds.
Maybe details are missing, but obviously We Can need candidates, and Genesis has had years to prepare them.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #179
whswhs

One thing I have to say about this discussion is that it has greatly enhanced my appreciation of adventure novel, pulp fiction, and comic book writers who set their stories in imaginary, invented countries such as Kafiristan, Ruritania, Latveria, Wakanda, or Barsoom. Seeing Alonsua not being aware of the six-year cycle for Senate elections, which is a really basic feature of the American federal government, makes me think how much I would likely miss in trying to tell a story set in Regency England or Meiji Japan. If you made it up you can't get the details wrong, at least so long as you're consistent!

Of course, there's the other issue of whether your imaginary country has enough complexities and obstacles to give your characters interesting challenges or to have a believable texture.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #180
Phantasm

Agreed, Bill. This is why I suggested she put her mega-corp based in some small-but-rich postage stamp nation that's not part of any international IP treaties. It makes things a lot easier to believe than this manipulation of the USGov.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Closed Thread