Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default [Fantasy] Soulmates

A character I've been working on in other threads has a significant other, and this significance is supported in fantastical ways in the fantasy setting they inhabit.

At first I was going to ignore the bonuses he gets from interacting with her (as a couple they are favored by the Moon Goddess), but her player has brought up a couple of abilities regarding their connection that I'd like some help statting because they effect him even during the four years she spends sleeping in a volcano.

First, one I wanted anyway, is Immunity to Seduction and either Immunity to or +8 to resist magical mind-control effects where seduction is the intent. Would these be valid separate Perks? Valid single Perk? 5-point Advantages? I don't know.

Second is that the two characters are still linked in their dreams (for the purposes of his DF career, he is a PC and she is an NPC). She has a form of precognition, is able to point him towards important plot hooks or sometimes solutions to problems when he's asleep, and they both get involved in battles with malevolent entities in the dream world (Nightmares disadvantage and Dreaming skill?). Most nights they just dream of playing or snuggling and nothing special happens.

It feels like I'm missing something (other than the Advantages and Disadvantages to stat what I've already mentioned).
Old 01-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: [Fantasy] Soulmates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
A character I've been working on in other threads has a significant other, and this significance is supported in fantastical ways in the fantasy setting they inhabit.

At first I was going to ignore the bonuses he gets from interacting with her (as a couple they are favored by the Moon Goddess), but her player has brought up a couple of abilities regarding their connection that I'd like some help statting because they effect him even during the four years she spends sleeping in a volcano.

First, one I wanted anyway, is Immunity to Seduction and either Immunity to or +8 to resist magical mind-control effects where seduction is the intent. Would these be valid separate Perks? Valid single Perk? 5-point Advantages? I don't know.
Immunity to influence rolls and mind control for a specific purpose is a 5 to 10 point advantage. I personally call it 5 points for seduction, which lets a perk buy you a +3 what with the rounding 5/3 down.

Just not being seduced by Sex Appeal or other influence skills is free (a role-playing choice) provided you are willing to suffer the margin of failure penalties.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
whswhs

A starting point would be that Indomitable can be interpreted as Immune to Influence, with Influence taken as a Common effect. I'd guess that Sex Appeal is Occasional, so Immunity would be 10 points, +8 Will would be 5 points, and +3 Will would be 3 points. Seduction is both narrower than Sex Appeal (in that you can do many other things with Sex Appeal) and wider (in that you can use Fast-Talk, Savoir-Faire (High Society), or Streetwise to seduce someone); I might give it the same 10-point base.

However, GURPS Social Engineering also provides that if A has no interest in anyone other than B, A will not respond to courtship by anyone but B. No point cost involved; in fact that exclusive interest could be a Vow (if the person takes the vow seriously) or a quirk (if it's personal preference without a formal promise).

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
William

If your linked dreams make you an unusually attractive target (compared to others) for aggressive dream-entities and this could theoretically pose a serious problem for you and your loved one if you lost the resulting struggle, that certainly sounds like an Enemy group whose point value will depend on its strength and frequency of appearance.

If everybody gets attacked by these things occasionally then, of course, it's not worth anything.

Getting occasional flashes of insight could be any of various forms of Precognition or Oracle, depending on their clarity and reliability.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 PM   #5
Anthony

If nighttime battles only result in loss of fatigue and occasional skill penalties, Nightmares is an appropriate model. If they can result in spiritual injuries, you might consider Chronic Pain.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:54 AM   #6
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:

At first I was going to ignore the bonuses he gets from interacting with her (as a couple they are favored by the Moon Goddess), but her player has brought up a couple of abilities regarding their connection that I'd like some help statting because they effect him even during the four years she spends sleeping in a volcano. [snip]
What they said about Indomitable.

Do all couples in this setting get these benefits from the Moon Goddess, or just "soulmates?" Or are they automatically considered "soulmates" by the Goddess just for being a couple at all (even if eg: they pair up specifically to receive this benefit)..? Where's the line drawn on who gets powers and who doesn't, anotherwords?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
Jerander

Quote:
I think this has been addressed, but also look at Immunity to Mind Control. Immunity to Seduction would be at least one step lower.

Quote:
Second is that the two characters are still linked in their dreams (for the purposes of his DF career, he is a PC and she is an NPC). She has a form of precognition, is able to point him towards important plot hooks or sometimes solutions to problems when he's asleep, and they both get involved in battles with malevolent entities in the dream world (Nightmares disadvantage and Dreaming skill?). Most nights they just dream of playing or snuggling and nothing special happens.
Precognition (Accessibility, "Only while dreaming", -x%) and/or Intuition (Accessibility, "Only while dreaming", -x%) and/or Common Sense (Accessibility, "Only while dreaming", -x%)?

I'm tempted to put a Granted by Ally limitation on those as well, since he'll lose them if she dies, but he as access to those abilities even when she's not around...

Ally (Accessibility, "Only while dreaming", -x%)

Other modifiers might be necessary, especially since she grants him additional abilities.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
It would be a 10-point advantage as others have suggested. But I would not only let it cover Sex Appeal, but other abilities that might be able to seduce to the character whether it steams from spell, psi, or whatever. The character cannot be seduced. But that would create a sitution where the character's partner can't seduce him (or her) either and that may or may not be appropriate. Consider adding a quirk: "Can be seduced by X" and a Vow (Monogamous or Marriage Vows) [-5].

Quote:
This would be Precognition for the girl and Telesend (Accessibility, Only while sleeping, -20%; Accessibility, Significant other, -80%) [6] for the character. As for the malevolent entities, if it's a gameable situation, it should be played out, otherwise just use Nightmares to represent it. Both should have at least a point in Dreaming.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote