Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Voltron64

Default Infinite Worlds: Fiction-Based Timelines

I thinking about some fictional settings and how they would fit in the whole Infinite Worlds series. How would these examples fit as parallels?

Heroes (Circa mid 1st-season, IMO wouldn't be a myth parallel as Homeline diverged in the late 1990s)

Code Geass (same deal, definitely gonna be a closed timeline)

Cyberpunk 2020 (no thoughts on that one yet)

Comments? Any more settings adapted to Infinite Worlds as well?
Voltron64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
sgtcallistan

Default Re: Infinite Worlds: Fiction-Based Timelines

I thought, not so much parrallels, but worlds where the rules change: Philip K Dick's book Eye in the Sky as inspiration.
Players develop normal characters with only a few unusual details; paranoid, proud minority, minority religious faith, unhappy housewife; The Event occurs and each person (in strength of Will order) causes reality to operate according to their assumptions.
Some could be subtle (unhappy housewife becomes neuter, no other changes), some horriffic (paranoid 'everything is out to get me!'), or a deity begins to interfere directly.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Voltron64

Here's a fun little idea I just thought of, which fictional characters could you see being recruited by ISWAT?

Lelouche Lamperouge for one, would definetly fit in like a glove.
Voltron64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
AOTA

Pippi Longstocking as an adult would make a great addition to an ISWAT team.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
capnq

The world of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen could be an interesting timeline.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTA View Post
Far too unpredictable. She never follows orders.
Would be funny to see her as a little girl totally own the vampire.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
isf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTA View Post
I'm planning oh having an adult Pippi as an NPC in a cabal game. Her tales of mysterious lands and strange things found on the seas seem like a perfect lead in to the Cabal's Pearl Bright Ocean and adventures on the Astral Realm.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
Mgellis

Dante's Divine Comedy...an interesting skerry--of Earth, Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven--to say the least!

The Greece of Eurpides...Greek city states if the gods (and their semi-human offspring) actively took part in the affairs of humans. (Helpful hints for a long and happy life...if the most powerful sorceress in the world, who also happens to be a granddaughter of Apollo, abandons her country and her family for you, do not ever dump her for some other woman. Oh, and don't tick off Dionysus, either, by the way; he certainly has a sense of humor, but you may not like what he considers just or funny.)

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni...let's do the time warp again. But maybe not with so many knives and bludgeons this time, okay? Check out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni

...for more details. And then run like hell. If you can.

Jane Austen Meets Frankenstein...what if ALL of the fictional worlds of the late 18th and early 19th century lived together in one timeline? While Darcy falls in love with Elizabeth Bennet, the Ancient Mariner is trapped in the icy waters near the South Pole, the School for Scandal is spreading stories in London, and Frankenstein's monster is murdering people. Oh, and all the real history of 1775 to 1825 is going on, too.

Enjoy.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
Jane Austen Meets Frankenstein...what if ALL of the fictional worlds of the late 18th and early 19th century lived together in one timeline? While Darcy falls in love with Elizabeth Bennet, the Ancient Mariner is trapped in the icy waters near the South Pole, the School for Scandal is spreading stories in London, and Frankenstein's monster is murdering people. Oh, and all the real history of 1775 to 1825 is going on, too.
John Kessel's "Pride and Prometheus" (published in his collection The Baum Plan for Financial Independence) was nominated for a Hugo Award for its exploration of just this theme.

I did this sort of thing in my campaign Gods and Monsters, but set in 1925. I had, for example, a very aged Sherlock Holmes invite one of the PCs, whom he knew from their studying bartitsu together, to visit with him while his students competed in London's first jiu-jitsu tournament; one of his students turned out to be a young woman who was trying to get her boyfriend Bertie to sign up for lessons ("It would be so good for you, Bertie!"), and so Bertie and his friend Lord Peter showed up at the tournament, accompanied by their valets Jeeves and Bunter. The players loved it, though they never did get all the jokes.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
rogersd

What about something along the lines of Heinlein's "Have Space Suit Will travel"? Early development of human space flight leading to expeditions to the moon and Mars. Some fairly hard sf, with some ultra-science on the fringe.

The Patrol knows the timeline is receiving help, but doesn't know from who. Centrum would find the "Three Galaxies" appealing as an over riding force and the ability to shift Homeline 90 degrees would take them out of the picture.

It adds the exotic aliens and some super science that the GM can bring in from time-to-time inorder to rescue or thwart the players and keep the story moving. The Vegans would make a good, but somewhat distant patron, similar to the Asgard in SG1.

Dave.

Tags
infinite worlds