Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
skift

Default Coding a character builder

I am looking into building a web based character builder/designer. I have used GCA for ages, as well as looking forward to GCA5 when it comes out. But I wanted to possibly look into making something that is web based using python and JS.

One question is the usage of the data files that come with GCS. Are there rules or limitations to using those? Having looked through the files, there would be some work on processing those. I am curious if anyone else has been down this road.

I emailed their team related to making games aides, but never got a response. For now it will only be personal use with my players. But it it turns out to be usable enough, I would like to find a way to work with SJG to open it up, or even make some of it open source so others could contribute.

I havent been able to find a ton other than they are pro making game aides. But theres not much on executables which they seem to not allow. Though if it is a web site, would that still be considered an executable if they had to pay to use it, like GCA. I asked them this and also asked about making a limited version of it for free given I think it would be great to make parts of it open source.

Just wondering if others have tackled some of this.
skift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Coding a character builder

Ask Steve Jackson Games, what your asking about sounds like an infringement of their copyrights though.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #3
skift

Well ive seen a couple other character creators on here. But at most they only use gurps lite rules. which is fine.

If I built this, I would potentially want to go the route of actually working with SJG to put out something that's complete. So there's no infringement intended.

The only thing calculation wise that would be included in that is the same thing that all the excel sheets and other free resources already do. The thing im sure that would require working with SJG is the usage of the data files that GCA uses. Though I am not sure if Armin made those or if SJG made those (I thought it was Armin). The idea is that if I went that far to use the skills/adv/disad/etc from books, it would be something official and probably have some cost associated with it.

I just had not heard anything from SJG about this. I have emailed them twice in the past 6 months about it. So i was hoping to try and get more input from others that may have worked with them.
skift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:00 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

My recommendation: PM Hunter about who you should contact. He's the community manager, he should be able to point you in the right direction.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:04 AM   #5
Refplace

If you want to eventually charge email licensing@sjgames.com
Most info is covered in the Online policy page and what you describe as I read it is somewhere between allowed and not allowed.
Game and charecter aids are typically allowed if free but if they copy too much text or you charge then not allowed.
I copied this bit below from the linked policy page.
Create a character generator or other game aid?
If you mean a "game aid" or "player aid" program, yes, you certainly can, if it's for a PC-type computer and you include the appropriate notices. We currently do not allow "apps" for mobile devices to be created using our content or trademarks. Yes, this seems like an arbitrary distinction, and as we learn more and the legal and technical issues become more clear, we may be able to change this, but please don't write us saying "I want to write an app, so change your policy," because the decision is not related to the number of pleas we get from would-be app coders. Sorry.

We want to ENCOURAGE our fans to create these programs, share them with the community, and have fun doing it. If you want to charge money for a game aid based on our work, the Online Policy does NOT apply . . . you must either get a license from us, or sell us the game aid for distribution as a regular product, and either way we'll hold you to professional standards. Email licensing@sjgames.com with a formal proposal letter.

We do, however, have some advice for creators of game aid programs. First, provide documentation. Some simple instructions on how to use the most basic features will be a big help to users. Second, support your creation.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:04 AM   #6
scc

Refplace what you quoted as an interesting hitch: As many people don't consider Apple computers "PC's" I wonder if people would be able run such a program on them.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Refplace what you quoted as an interesting hitch: As many people don't consider Apple computers "PC's" I wonder if people would be able run such a program on them.
If by "PC" they mean "personal computer", than MacOS programs would fall under it. if by "PC" they mean "IBM-PC and compatables" (meaning: DOS/Windows-based software), then it's an interesting distinction.

I'm still wondering about the "mobile app" distinction. I understand that part of the policy was written when the iPhone was still new, or maybe even before it came out - meaning it was meant for blackberry-type phones - but with the recent blurring of the lines with the design of Windows 8/10, would it still be applicable? Or does the "mobile app" currently mean simply iOS and DroidOS? (And on older machines WinCE?)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I'm still wondering about the "mobile app"
This issue appears to be due to App Stores, and this Kromm post explains a bit.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:54 PM   #9
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
If by "PC" they mean "personal computer", than MacOS programs would fall under it. if by "PC" they mean "IBM-PC and compatables" (meaning: DOS/Windows-based software), then it's an interesting distinction.
Quite a few people, including Apples themselves at times (RE: I'm a Mac and I'm a PC) believe the later.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #10
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Quite a few people, including Apples themselves at times (RE: I'm a Mac and I'm a PC) believe the later.
That's branding - and ten year old branding at that. No different than the "It's not a car, it's a Volkswagon" commercials.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote