Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
Extrarius

Default Classic titles helpful for Pseudo-2018 Espionage/Conspiracy?

Since the GURPS Classic PDFs are on sale, I figured now is a good time to get input on which might be applicable to a particular genre that has my attention at the moment.

I'm interested in a modern (with liberties, thus psedo-)2018 game focused on a conspiracy/secret-focused game from the perspective of PCs with day jobs as agents of espionage/covert-ops.

There are numerous titles that might seem relevant immediately, from Espionage and Covert Ops to Black Ops to Illuminati, but I don't know how well the base assumptions in each book have aged (modern technology solves a lot of problems relevant to espionage/covert-ops, but also creates it's own problems) or how much future-tech predictions missed the mark.

Also, it is apparent that past contemporary tech has advanced significantly and some past "future-tech" is now contemporary tech. For example, it is now obvious that computers and the internet have become central tools for observation, subterfuge, sabatage, mis/dis-information campaigns, as well as covert communication, decentralized cooperation and planning, toxic memes (in a realistic sense - spread of destructive ideologies via social media and other websites), and more. Some 4E books would obviously help with updating the level of base contemporary tech, but I wonder if some useful adaptations could be made from Classic future-tech sources like Cyberpunk.

Which GURPS Classic books relevant to conspiracy/secrets and espionage/covert-ops are easily updated/adapted to the modern world? Which Classic books could be helpful in incorporating and adapting other books to the technological, societal, cultural, and other changes that happened since their publication.

(Note: I'm interested in Classic books that don't have a direct 4E rewrite, or Classic books that still offer significant value to owners of the 4E version.)
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Classic titles helpful for Pseudo-2018 Espionage/Conspiracy?

You want Illuminati and Espionage. The advice in both is very much applicable, as is GURPS 4e's edition of Horror.

Black Ops is a campaign setting, a very high-powered kind of Monster Hunters, and thus likely inapplicable. Covert Ops is a bit of an oddity, not quite focussed on any one style, but SWAT is well worth reading.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
Extrarius

What are your thoughts on the applicability of Special Ops? What about Cops (I imagine more as a guide to a background mundane threat facing foreign agents)?
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Special Ops is mostly about military special operations. If your PCs are going to be ex-military, it could be quite useful, but the templates will need careful updating.

Cops has some uses for creating enemies, but Mysteries for 4e might well be more useful.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Special Ops is mostly about military special operations. If your PCs are going to be ex-military, it could be quite useful, but the templates will need careful updating.

Cops has some uses for creating enemies, but Mysteries for 4e might well be more useful.
It's not unknown for intelligence agencies to maintain organic special forces, like the CIA's Special Operations Group, or to work with military special forces on the same operation as with the MACSOG in Vietnam.

Last edited by jason taylor; 06-16-2018 at 05:05 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Modern Firepower is still pretty modern. In fact if it were jsut a little alter it would be 4e.

It's also Hans and his research is exceptional.