Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #1181
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
This sounds more like a Quirk than a Perk. It gives the character a better chance of being put in a compromising position. You may be convinced it's for your benefit going in, but once you're hypnotized I don't see how it couldn't be turned around to work against you.

Resistance to Hypnotism would be a better Perk, IMO.
I've been under enough times to know how it works. A simple recording is enough to make me fall asleep even in the middle of an insomnia episode, but try to make me do something I oppose and it just instantly ends the trance. Has happened a few times when I was experimenting with audio files. Realistic Hypnotism is more limited than people believe. The real horror stories I've heard happened when people in difficult situations were abused by therapists or cults, and you don't need Hypnotism for that. At it's worst, realistic hypnotism could allow you a heavily penalized roll on Fast-Talk to convince someone to do something harmful, or a Complimentary Skill to Brainwashing, in both cases only if you have your victim's trust beforehand.

Now if we were talking cinematic Hypnotism... Resistance would be a full on advantage. I've read enough stories to know the difference between the cinematic Hypnotism in them and realistic Hypnotism.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #1182
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Now if we were talking cinematic Hypnotism... Resistance would be a full on advantage. I've read enough stories to know the difference between the cinematic Hypnotism in them and realistic Hypnotism.
It depends on how much resistance you have, but it would fit the Resistant advantage in Basic Set: Characters pp80-81. Just the Hypnotism skill alone would qualify as Rare even in most cinematic campaigns, and +1 to resist that would probably fit as a Perk, as the lowest the book offers is +3.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #1183
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
I've been under enough times to know how it works. A simple recording is enough to make me fall asleep even in the middle of an insomnia episode....
That sounds a lot more like Self Hypnotism.

Listening to my favorite music has a similar effect on me when my insomnia is kicking in hard.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #1184
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That sounds a lot more like Self Hypnotism.

Listening to my favorite music has a similar effect on me when my insomnia is kicking in hard.
GURPS calls it Autohypnosis. It's a skill in the Basic Set (separate from Meditation, for some reason).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:02 AM   #1185
WaterAndWindSpirit

I don't think looking for hypnosis audio files counts as self-hypnosis. Now making a good file probably takes a hefty penalty for not having feedback and another penalty if you're making a generic file rather than one custom made for a single subject, but it's definitely Hypnotism. Trust me, there are many "sleep hypnosis" files on Youtube, and there are plenty of NSFW hypnosis audio files in general.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, perks