Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #11
Phantasm

Default Re: [LT/DF] Sets of Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
My biggest thing after a quick going-over is that I like to allow players who want to just wearing "Standard Clothing" to be able to do so for only like 2 pounds. (Like a Wizard or Cleric in robes, a Thief wanting to be as light as possible, etc.)
Note that the Civilian armor that (in my games at least) everyone gets includes a leather jacket and leather pants. Those are probably the heaviest pieces of normal clothing out there (with the exception of boots, which are themselves quite heavy). Most pieces of normal clothes - particularly robes - are more likely to be linen, cotton, felt, or wool, not leather.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
Bruno

2 lbs of clothing (including footwear), for an adult, means "summer weight", and not appropriate for marching in the rain, let alone a cold day or actual winter weather. It protects from sunburn, and usually from offending local indecent exposure laws, and that's about it.

In the sort of game where PCs are looking at armor, they want shoes or boots that can keep their feet out of the mud, and at least a cloak of some description to keep the rain off their backs and the wind out of their bones. A good cloak will weigh about two pounds on its own, never mind shoes and boots.

You can get lighter clothing that's still warm at TL 8, and I'm sure the elves spin something amazing out of moonlight and dew, but it'll be expensive.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
Rasputin

If the High-Tech clothing weights table for TL5 holds for earlier TLs, then standard clothing weighs 4 lbs., less the shoes. Ted's basic package for civilians is heavier than this because he has leather pants and a jacket, which is not the mean for any group of peasants, but it's much more in line with reality than 2 lbs.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #14
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
If the High-Tech clothing weights table for TL5 holds for earlier TLs, then standard clothing weighs 4 lbs., less the shoes. Ted's basic package for civilians is heavier than this because he has leather pants and a jacket, which is not the mean for any group of peasants, but it's much more in line with reality than 2 lbs.
Exactly. Standard clothing for a commoner at TL4- is a cotton or linen shirt or tunic, cotton or linen breeches or skirt, or a cotton or linen dress, both possibly with an over-tunic, and something on the feet. None of those provide DR, and can't be considered "armor" unless magically fortified (and some game worlds don't have magic in them).

The Civilian set of armor in the first post is intended to represent the heaviest leather clothes a person would conceivably have, suitable for urban gang members, woodsmen, etc.

Now, coming back to my original question, are there any "common sets" of armor that I might have missed? This could be either something you have available in your game world or a set your players keep putting together on their own.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #15
Kalzazz

Ah, so those provide the massive front torso DR at a cost of -1 DX then if Im reading right?

There doesnt seem to be a low tech bronze armor sort, for like a hoplite or something. I recall seeing bronze armor in basic set armor table
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #16
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Now, coming back to my original question, are there any "common sets" of armor that I might have missed? This could be either something you have available in your game world or a set your players keep putting together on their own.
"Roman legionary". I say this in quotes because it seems to depend more on my players mental picture, based on artwork, rather than on historical research and any specific time period.

Iron Legionary Suit, $1250, 30.25
Sandals, DR 0 (1 from underneath)
Iron Greaves, DR 4 (on 1-3 on a d6)
Iron Armbands, DR 4 (on a 1-3 on a d6)
Studded leather skirt, DR 3/2* to groin, and to legs (on a 4-6 on a d6)
Breastplate, DR 5 F torso
Legionary helmet. Does not come with a nice horsehair plume. DR 4 to skull, also to Face (on 3-6 on a d6)

Bronze Legionary Suit, $4685, 30.25
Sandals, DR 0 (1 from underneath)
Bronze Greaves, DR 4 (on 1-3 on a d6)
Bronze Armbands, DR 4 (on a 1-3 on a d6)
Studded leather skirt, DR 3/2* to groin, and to legs (on a 4-6 on a d6)
Bronze Breastplate, DR 5 Front only, torso
Bronze Legionary helmet. Does not come with a nice horsehair plume. DR 4 to skull, also to Face (on 3-6 on a d6).

Add a Heavy Cloak and a nice horsehair plume (Either Ornate +1 using DF1, or use the rules from DF8 for a helmet standard) for the full cinematic package.

"Hairy Barbarian Special" - not a particularly SENSIBLE outfit, but it has that "look".

Heavy Leather ($505)
Heavy Leather Armor (DR 3, torso, groin)
Fur Tunic, Layered over torso and groin, DR 1* and -1 DX penalty
Heavy Leather Leggings (DR 3, legs)
Heavy Leather Sleeves (DR 3, arms)
Calf Boots (DR 2*, feet, partial legs)
51.75 lbs
Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
"Hairy Barbarian Special" - not a particularly SENSIBLE outfit, but it has that "look".

Heavy Leather ($505)
Heavy Leather Armor (DR 3, torso, groin)
Fur Tunic, Layered over torso and groin, DR 1* and -1 DX penalty
51.75 lbs
It's particularly insensible, since he can't layer flexible armor over rigid armor. So he gets the -1 DX penalty from the fur tunic, but no extra DR.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #18
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
It's particularly insensible, since he can't layer flexible armor over rigid armor. So he gets the -1 DX penalty from the fur tunic, but no extra DR.
Oh crapballs, you're right. I suppose you could always replace it with four fur tunics.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
pst

There are also some sets of armor in GURPS Lite. It's possible to reverse-engineer what parts they are made out of by using price and weight. I did that in http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...961#post202961 (Everyone told me I shouldn't bother trying to make cost and weight fit, but that was evidently how those special "Lite" armors were made. Then they are simplified in Lite by having the same DR everywhere.)

Another source for ready-made sets are in DF8, p.34, notes [1]--[8].
pst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #20
panton41

Here's the PDF I made of it, if anyone wants it. I seriously didn't do anything more than copy/paste, make it a double-column serif font and give it a pretty title.

If the OP wants to put it on their own server and link to in the the first post they can go right ahead. I might actually start making similar lists for my own personal "Loadouts" series - which I found an official US Army document that would make a great starting point for a TL8 military Loadout book.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

My ebook page.

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, low-tech