Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #11
jason taylor

Default Re: Optimized Shaolin Monk in a Western

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
True, but if he's going going up against bad guys doing bad things (shooting at people) than I'm not sure he can rely on city ordnances to protect him.

I.e if I'm going to rob a bank then obeying local weapons ordnances is going to be way down my list of priorities. Also even if the setting's bad guys do obey such ordnances he's going to be limited to those areas (but hey if it's largely set there than fine).

So that said I see 3 general ways to go with this:

1). Stealth Build (as has already been suggested)

2). Hide in plain sight, he's not going to register as an obvious threat in this setting, if the GM is willing he might get some mileage out of this (IIRC this is how the protagonist in "Kung Fu" got away with it). He'll likely need a good Move stat to allow him to surprise foes by getting into C/1 reach quickly. He's got 8 already and that's not bad. He'll also need combat tactics that include a lot of movement

3). If he's really going to go toe to toe, make him a serious dodge monkey with enhanced dodge. This may skirt the no exotic advantages once you go past a certain level. All out Dodge, Acrobatic dodge, Retreat and slip will be your friends. The build currently has a dodge of 12
Is that really such a new problem? It's not as if Chinese don't have guns.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #12
finn

Why not put a point each in Guns, Bow, and Sling? In a non-cinematic game, a Shaolin-Monk alone in the west teaching himself the basics of various long range weapon skills seems quite in-character.

Maybe he only carries a concealed sling, but would pick up a bow or a gun if available. He can still mostly rely on stealth and his stick, but he doesn't have to be useless in long-range fights.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:07 AM   #13
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Is that really such a new problem? It's not as if Chinese don't have guns.
True which is why he'd have developed these tactics (although '2' is going to be factor of attitudes towards unassuming looking Chinese at the time as well)
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
Culture20

Quote:
3). If he's really going to go toe to toe, make him a serious dodge monkey with enhanced dodge. This may skirt the no exotic advantages once you go past a certain level. All out Dodge, Acrobatic dodge, Retreat and slip will be your friends. The build currently has a dodge of 12
And a cloak for that extra DB.
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #15
jason taylor

Quote:
True which is why he'd have developed these tactics (although '2' is going to be factor of attitudes towards unassuming looking Chinese at the time as well)
Just to make sure, because tiny details do have to be called to mind. It has to be remembered that East Asian weapons technology was until a few generations ago roughly equiv to European and the difference was mainly in the tactics. Furthermore the Manchu were one of the most powerful states in the world in the Eighteenth century. There was a technological growth spurt in Europe since then but a Chinese Monk cannot be presented exactly as living in a precisely Medievalistic milieu even if his unworldly vocation keeps him away from the cutting edge.

The point is that he shouldn't be treated as a closer-to-earth, noble savage or as a cave man lawyer. But that is more about characterization then about his fighting ability.

Last edited by jason taylor; 01-02-2017 at 08:47 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

China as a whole was technologically similar, that's not to say that every Chinese person was up to date on things. Monks aren't known for being cutting edge educated after all.
And of course, none of that affects what racist Westerners think about foreign Asians.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #17
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
China as a whole was technologically similar, that's not to say that every Chinese person was up to date on things. Monks aren't known for being cutting edge educated after all.
And of course, none of that affects what racist Westerners think about foreign Asians.
Certainly but there is difference between a Monk who isolated is artificially by a vocation peculiar to him and someone who naturally comes from a primitive TL. Just as there is a difference between a bonsai tree and a tree naturally growing in such a shape. A Shaolin monk's lifestyle should be thought of as a form of art not as someone naturally unfamiliar with the world.

Which is not to say that he is or is not familiar with firearms. For that one would have to know more about his background. In any case he would be no more likely to be unfamiliar in China then in the West.

Last edited by jason taylor; 01-02-2017 at 09:48 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

I can't help but think of the movie Shanghai Noon, and its sequel Shanghai Knights. Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson in "buddy cop" style.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:17 AM   #19
jason taylor

Aren't there several Westerns featuring some character with an exotic skill? For instance there was one show I believe who had a character that had Cinematic whip skill(was that Wild, Wild, West?).

There were a number of Chinese immigrants fleeing from the warlords, as well as captives of clan wars being dumped in for sale and transport with a written up indenture as a fig leaf before the Abolitionist lobby caught on. The railroad liked Chinese because they worked hard for low pay.

Chinese characters while unusual in a traditional Western were common enough in the real west to be justifiable and might well make interesting playing.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:46 AM   #20
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Aren't there several Westerns featuring some character with an exotic skill? For instance there was one show I believe who had a character that had Cinematic whip skill(was that Wild, Wild, West?)
Charles Bronson and IIRC, Toshiro Mifune teamed up in a western like that in the 70's, I believe.

Red Sun: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067770/...r/rm1293149184
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fighter, martial arts, melee, monk, optimization