Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Multiplayer game - HOW TO?

That said, whatever it is supposed to be doing is probably problematic for true asynchronous play as opposed to semi-asynchronous play that still requires both players attending to the game start to finish with no major interruptions...
Old 10-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That said, whatever it is supposed to be doing is probably problematic for true asynchronous play as opposed to semi-asynchronous play that still requires both players attending to the game start to finish with no major interruptions...
Unless it is supposed to be like a 24 hour timer or something. Ranked play at least needs some kind of timer to stop players from just never finishing games if they are losing. All of the turn based online games I have played have something like this.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #13
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

You can definitely do your turn and leave the game. It tells you when the other side has completed a turn and "claims" 24 hours to reply. I've successfully left a game and returned before, but have never tested long-term (multi-hour) delays.

From what I've seen, it's not very stable (or obvious).
Old 10-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #14
AurochJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Unless it is supposed to be like a 24 hour timer or something. Ranked play at least needs some kind of timer to stop players from just never finishing games if they are losing. All of the turn based online games I have played have something like this.
The game does have this - if you don't make a move for 2 days, you will concede the game automatically. The game should warn you about this when you're approaching the concession limit.

We've looked into it and there are one or two issues with it so we'll be addressing these in a big update (with a bunch of other exciting features and fixes) early next week.

Thanks very much for raising the issue :)
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
Yablonsky

OK, so the 3 games that I and my NZ friend had started, I left the games open and on his turn.

When I returned, the games are all completed and ended on his turn, and he won.

Definitely some flaws.

Perhaps if there was a way to track the games, by GameID or something then we can identify them to R&D/DEV team and they can have examples to go by in fixing the issue.

Ken
Yablonsky is offline   Reply With Quote