Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-18-2023, 08:45 PM   #1
JohnPaulB

Default Riding Combat

EDIT: This has been transferred from TFT section. http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=188875

I have questioned the horse's momentum and the rules of engagement for it.

IT p 130 says Riding animals follow the same rules for engagement and disengagement as do foot warriors, with one exception: If a horse (normally a 2-hex creature) moves more than 8 hexes in a single turn and then engages a single man on foot, treat the horse as though it were a 3-hex creature. That is, the man on foot is engaged, but the horse and rider are not. This applies only to a single footman – two men on the ground would engage a horseman. The reason for this is the extra momentum of a rider at high speed. A single man cannot reasonably hope to engage a charging horseman – but he can engage one who was trotting or standing still, without the momentum to carry himself right past. The same applies to any other 2-hex riding animal.

It also states the following options for Riders and Mounts:
Move up to its full MA.
Move up to half its MA, and/or attack.

With the idea of a horse and rider is not engaged by a 1-hex figure (perhaps a soldier), it should be able to go the horse’s full MA right past the standing soldier and the soldier can’t do anything about it. I have a proposal for a ride-by that allows an attack by the horseman or the soldier.

The horseman’s player announces that he is doing a ride-by at a gallop (and must move at least 8 hexes up to the target,) with the intent of attacking (or the soldier attacking if so inclined) and then continuing past at least 8 more hexes this turn. [put a marker down if you wish, to remind you that this is a mid-move for the horse.]

During the Action Phase, do all combats as normal. If the soldier drops, he is prone. If the horse is killed, it drops in the next hex later this turn. If the rider is killed, roll to see if he immediately falls and lands in the next hex later this turn (or perhaps a few hexes further down if he is dragged by the horse).

After all combat is done this turn, the last thing is that the horse is placed at the end spot the horseman’s player had intended. Then the next turn starts.

If going that extra distance in #3 gets the horse "engaged" with another soldier while having moved less than 8 additional hexes, then it is engaged with the new 1-hex figure.

This seems to work if there are a few horses in the battle. I don't know how well it will work for a cavalry squad.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com

Last edited by JohnPaulB; 03-19-2023 at 09:54 PM.
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:50 PM   #2
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Riding Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhopper50 View Post
I've always wanted mounted combat rules for melee. Seems to me all the discussion is on attacking, none on defense, terrain effects on movement or pike defense like in "Braveheart". More importantly is this all feasible on a 28' x 56' (7 hex x 14 hex) Melee map?
Yes, I just wanted to get the initial Ride-by concept worked out first.

Old 03-18-2023, 09:20 PM   #3
JohnPaulB

How about this. I just had the idea of putting this into the Turn Sequence of ITL p 101. It is a rough concept that needs some vetting:

(7) Ride-by. Any charging horseman which became adjacent to one single hex figure may continue its charge after its own combat and all other (4) Actions have been done this turn. This additional movement may be up to the full extent of the beast’s MA.

If it comes in contact with another single hex figure this turn, the turn ends with the horseman and opponent figure being adjacent and ready for combat next turn (noting that the horseman, if he survives, may continue his charging as per this Ride-by rule.

In this way the horseman can charge & ride-by and charge some more. If the post Ride-By involves another 'engagement' before the turn ends, then their combat starts off the next turns' action and that horseman can continue his charging.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:37 AM   #4
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post

(7) Ride-by. Any charging horseman which became adjacent to one single hex figure may continue its charge after its own combat and all other (4) Actions have been done this turn. This additional movement may be up to the full extent of the beast’s MA.

If it comes in contact with another single hex figure this turn, the turn ends with the horseman and opponent figure being adjacent and ready for combat next turn (noting that the horseman, if he survives, may continue his charging as per this Ride-by rule.

In this way the horseman can charge & ride-by and charge some more. If the post Ride-By involves another 'engagement' before the turn ends, then their combat starts off the next turns' action and that horseman can continue his charging.
John Paul, This makes it sound like he can only make one ride-by attack. Is that what you intend?
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:41 PM   #5
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
John Paul, This makes it sound like he can only make one ride-by attack. Is that what you intend?
I was imagining that there would be one attack via a ride-by and possibly a second attack if the horseman instigated one.

I'm not sure if that second attack should be in Turn 1 or should it start Turn 2.

I am suggesting that if horseman successfully survives the second Ride-by (whether combat is in first or second turn), he can continue doing Ride-bys like this until player ends it.

These are only theories until it is born-out in practice.

I think that Timm should continue developing his charge theory until it produces a practical rule also.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:37 PM   #6
Shostak

Some thoughts:
  • Perhaps a rider should be allowed several ride-by attacks, as per the suggestion of others.
  • If a rider makes multiple attacks, they should each suffer a DX penalty. The easy way is to give them all the standard -6 untalented two weapon attack penalty, and the more complicated way is to make each successive attack suffer a greater penalty.
  • Those being attacked might get a roll similar to the HTH initiation roll, with a 5 meaning they avoid the attack and a 6 meaning they get a free attack on the rider or mount.
  • Any target of a ride-by attack who has a ready pole weapon forgoes that roll and gets a first attack.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote