Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #41
Bira

Default Re: GURPS Low-Tech: Instant Armor

Hello! I just bought this, and it's indeed convenient. However, it brought to the fore a slight doubt I had about Low-Tech armor.

The impression I had from reading the base rules and this forum was that, while plate armor was listed for the "full" torso hit location, you actually had to buy it with only 75% coverage and use segmented plate on the lower abdomen/groin, which were the remaining 25%.

Now, looking at the armor tables, the very first one is for "Torso, 100%", and it lists plate armor just as the base book does. Does it mean the rule described in the above paragraph is optional?
Bira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #42
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bira View Post
Hello! I just bought this, and it's indeed convenient. However, it brought to the fore a slight doubt I had about Low-Tech armor.

The impression I had from reading the base rules and this forum was that, while plate armor was listed for the "full" torso hit location, you actually had to buy it with only 75% coverage and use segmented plate on the lower abdomen/groin, which were the remaining 25%.

Now, looking at the armor tables, the very first one is for "Torso, 100%", and it lists plate armor just as the base book does. Does it mean the rule described in the above paragraph is optional?
This was actually covered earlier in the thread. Basically, the Plate Armor that's in the Torso, 100% section is for people who don't use a separate Abdomen hit location - so yes, it's optional, but only if you aren't trying to be fully accurate. If you want complete accuracy, you can't have rigid plate in the abdomen.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #43
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Not sure why people are telling you that [Instant Armor lacks a unified hit location table]. It even has the Pelvis. And Gutshot!
So does it or not? I suppose I'm just going to have to buy it (which I was going to eventually anyway) to find out.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #44
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
So does it or not? I suppose I'm just going to have to buy it (which I was going to eventually anyway) to find out.
It does not have a unified hit location table. On page 16 has the same table as Low Tech page 100.

It is also true that it has a 1d6 sub-location roll for the abdomen on page 19, which includes pelvis and digestive tract hits. But the PDF doesn't include any of the Martial Arts hit locations at all. Except possibly the joints, and it doesn't talk about the joint-hit rules for those.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #45
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
It does not have a unified hit location table. On page 16 has the same table as Low Tech page 100.
Was Bruno a playtester? Maybe it was cut? Anyway I still want one of these.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #46
DanHoward

Instant Armor has the same hit location table that is in Low-Tech plus an Abdomen sub-location. It includes the Pelvis location from Tactical Shooting. What else do you need? I needed a Face sub-location table for the Loadouts book - it is consistent with the mechanics in Martial Arts.

Last edited by DanHoward; 03-02-2012 at 11:34 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #47
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
What else do you need?
A set of tables with all the location and location specific effects from the Basic Set, Martial Arts, High-Tech, Low-Tech, Horror and Tactical Shooting (and I guess now Instant Armor and Historical Loadouts). This would include all previously published "missed by one" and "roll 1d" results. It would be extra cool if the non-humanoid tables from the Basic Set were included and similarly expanded (but obviously I didn't expect this from Instant Armor).

Right now this stuff is scattered all over the place.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #48
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
(. . .) Right now this stuff is scattered all over the place.
I think the same. It would be great to have all that officially unified in a single resource.

Even if many people has the options stored in their heads, such resource would ease and encourage the use of the aforementioned rules –specially for those that find the details and nuances "overwhelming" during the game.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #49
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
I think the same. It would be great to have all that officially unified in a single resource.
Something more than p. 2 of Onki's free sheet??

I might quibble with the formatting or presentation, but he's done a lot of the work you seem to be requesting.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #50
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Something more than p. 2 of Onki's free sheet??

I might quibble with the formatting or presentation, but he's done a lot of the work you seem to be requesting.
I honestly haven't looked at that in a while, because when he first did it it wasn't noticeably superior than the mook's sheets and preferred the mook's formatting.

Tags
armor, low-tech