Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: GURPS Low-Tech: Instant Armor

Having bought it for the optional rules, I've got to say I don't recommend it unless you in fact want the Instant Armor that is the title and primary content. It most certainly looks like it delivers on what it promised, but I wouldn't say it's a must-have on the rulestuff front.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
demonsbane

I see this small sourcebook as a very useful and interesting addition to the GURPS Low-Tech series: Visual Glossary, tables, optional rules . . . It´s neat.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
I see this small sourcebook as a very useful and interesting addition to the GURPS Low-Tech series: Visual Glossary, tables, optional rules . . . It´s neat.
Oh, yes, the visual glossary is great.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
Trachmyr

First off, those looking to purchase this supplement should be aware that it's Armor Tables not loadouts. It's precalucated costs/weights by type & location. It's handy to put together armor sets quickly for NPC's and Players that don't like math (or Players that as a GM you have to hand hold through the equipment buying set-up)... but it's not critical for those that like the detail of putting together a suit of armor for their favorite characters... and due to rounding, you won't usually get the same numbers.

--------------

Secondly, the optional rules section is pretty small, but there is some useful stuff in there... (although by those rules sleeping with a pair of mittens on will fatigue you ;p )

--------------

Third is a nitpick, and since I was the original person to gripe about the lack of stats for Light Leather, it's only fitting that I be the one to gripe again about the stats being a bit off (mainly cost).

The cost is (as per RAW & LT) based on 30% COL since it's basically "Winter Clothing"... I get that, and I'm fine with it. But the torso cost should not be the whole 30% COL, since that cost also covers shoes, gloves, sleeves and pants!

Weight is non-inclusive of handwear/footwear (per LT errata), so 8 pounds (per the LT errata) divided by 2.5 (100% Torso, 50% Arms, 100% Legs) should yield a weight of 3.2 pounds (maybe a bit less to cover the weight of a scarf, belt, etc.). That's close enough to what's printed that it's workable.

But cost should be 30% COL divided by at least 2.5, but since winter clothing is supposed to inculde the cost of handwear & footwear, it's more like divide by 3... which means that the Light Leather Costs are at least 3 times too high.

In fact, if you went the route of taking 30% COL, subtracting the cost of gloves & boots, then divided by 2.5 (or 2.55 for + Neck, or 2.8 for a hood as well), you'd get a base cost (100%) of about $50. Which is available for $25 for a plain utility status -1 version.

However, after having picked all those nits, I am happy that Light Leather was in fact inculded.

Last edited by Trachmyr; 12-16-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Having bought it for the optional rules, I've got to say I don't recommend it unless you in fact want the Instant Armor that is the title and primary content. It most certainly looks like it delivers on what it promised, but I wouldn't say it's a must-have on the rulestuff front.
Does it have the sort of grand unified hit location table that Dan's been hinting at?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #16
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Does it have the sort of grand unified hit location table that Dan's been hinting at?
It's got the same armor location table that Low Tech does, but nothing other than that that could fit that description.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:31 AM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
It's got the same armor location table that Low Tech does, but nothing other than that that could fit that description.
I thought he was going to include the locations from Martial Arts, all the "miss by one" and "roll 1d" rules and the Pelvis.

I'd really like something like this, if that matters to anyone.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:13 AM   #18
demonsbane

Quote:
I thought he was going to include the locations from Martial Arts,
Me too.

Quote:
all the "miss by one" and "roll 1d" rules and the Pelvis.

I'd really like something like this, if that matters to anyone.
It also matters to me, but I didn't read the book yet. What I can say is that there are reminders of hit location rules at the start of some tables arranged by body parts. For instance, in page 11 we have:

Quote:
Thighs
(. . .) roll 1d on a leg hit; on a FNORD, the armor is hit

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:04 AM   #19
Puppetminion

Quote:
I thought he was going to include the locations from Martial Arts, all the "miss by one" and "roll 1d" rules and the Pelvis
The pelvis is included, just not on the table. Instead there's an optional rule for the abdomen that means you randomly hit one of the vitals, the groin, the gut or the pelvis and never "just" the abdomen, so it's a pretty dangerous location.

Dont see any miss by one stuff.

Last edited by Puppetminion; 12-16-2011 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Comma destruction
Puppetminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:16 AM   #20
DanHoward

The Pelvis hit location was taken directly from Tactical Shooting. It can be directly aimed for (at -3) like in TS but it was also given a random hit location in the abdomen table.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, low-tech