Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 09-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Bio-tech related Quirks and Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Odd Dentation might be another good Quirk/Perk. If the character spends a lot of time in a Goth subculture, obvious fangs could be a perk. Mainly this would be a Quirk. Memorable to scary animalistic teeth, but without any added damage bonus.

Odd Dentation could also go with advantages like Sharp Teeth simply to show the downside of the enhanced/modified teeth.
I actually created a troll-human hybrid whose teeth would randomly come in as specialized human or in simple peg-like troll forms. To help his passing as ugly man, he would yank them out until each one was human.

Some tribes in Africa carved their teeth to points for a somewhat shark like look. Horrible for long term dental health, but whenever has culture and fashion cared about the long term?
Old 09-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Two Opposable Thumbs. Whether due to a conversion or addition of a finger, the palm structure is different. May or may not be associated with changed manual dexterity. Either way, good luck trying to wear baseline human gloves.
Like the hands of lorises? Their index fingers act kind of like second thumbs giving very strong grips.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #13
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Two Opposable Thumbs. Whether due to a conversion or addition of a finger, the palm structure is different. May or may not be associated with changed manual dexterity. Either way, good luck trying to wear baseline human gloves.
Nice! And I like that it may or may not be associated with an advantage. It makes sense that in a high bio-tech setting like THS some animal derived advantages would come with animalistic traits.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #14
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Like the hands of lorises? Their index fingers act kind of like second thumbs giving very strong grips.
Koala Bears have what look exactly like two thumbs together. I assume it isn't as rare a trait as one may think.

Ancora Imparo
Old 09-23-2016, 07:47 AM   #15
Astromancer

Given the sexual culture of THS I might suggest that Neuter and/or No Genitalia are definitely Quirks, they would modify Eunuch and make it more limiting/off putting.

Nonstandard Genitalia could be a Quirk or Perk, depending on the social environment.

Ancora Imparo
Old 09-23-2016, 01:34 PM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Nonstandard Genitalia could be a Quirk or Perk, depending on the social environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
I'd say these are 0 point features. They don't affect gameplay much and few people will view you badly or better as a result.
SJGames has foreseen the issue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIO59
Exotic Genitalia: [...] If the modification is
designed to simply enhance or modify the user’s own expe-
rience, this is a 0-point feature. If it enhances his ability as
a lover, this will grant a racial bonus to Erotic Art skill.
(That is, it costs [2/level] for the latter.)
Old 09-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
I'd say these are 0 point features. They don't affect gameplay much and few people will view you badly or better as a result.
Only if they already know and expect you to lack sex organs. The Crying Game type of reveal will shock most people, and certainly quite a few in the everything goes no consistent moralities of THS.
Of course neuter is non-functional female like genitals so will shock even bisexuals okay with a "normal" Crying Game event.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
I feel Vicky's answer is a lot closer to the mark. Anyone can weird someone out if they try, it doesn't mean it's worth GURPS points.
Lacking basic external human organs isn't like some minor genital piercing that would gross out only squares. I think it should count as strange even in THS societies for otherwise passing humans. Of course context is key with anything social and expected.
Few would be too put off by low sapient bioroids lacking their junk. But a sudden reveal in hot and heavy situations would lead to shock and feelings of betrayal.
THS has numerous sub-cultures, not a planet of zero judgement everything goes mono-culture.
Maybe it would count as quirk level secret. People will look at you differently once they know. Not necessarily in a bigoted way, but differently.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #19
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
THS has numerous sub-cultures, not a planet of zero judgement everything goes mono-culture.
Maybe it would count as quirk level secret. People will look at you differently once they know. Not necessarily in a bigoted way, but differently.
Exactly, and as the secrets can change fairly regularly the shocks can keep coming, or as it was put in one of my games....

Pat:"What gender did you start out as?"

Sandy:"Why do you care?"

Ancora Imparo
Old 09-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #20
Astromancer

This Quirk (and rarely Perk) comes from the fact that the world is made for "normal" people. NONSTANDARD SENSES covers things like, because your eyesight extends into the infrared and ultraviolet, your color sense is weird. There would be other Quirk level effects of having odd color vision, some rare perks to. Someone with an enhanced sense of smell might have serious problems eating many cuisines. I mean, if you can smell as well as a hound dog, how do you deal with chili peppers?

This can lower the cost of enhanced senses because it simply invoked their logical downsides even if they work perfectly.

Ancora Imparo