Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-16-2014, 03:03 AM   #21
DanHoward

Default Re: Leather Armor from Tough Creatures

The cost of leather armour in Low-Tech assumes that the animals are domesticated and their hides are a product of pastoralism. It seems as if it would a lot harder to hunt down and kill a dinosaur than it is to slit the throat of a docile animal that is standing around in a pen. It also seems like it would be a hell of a lot more work to skin such a creature and tan its hide.

Last edited by DanHoward; 02-16-2014 at 03:52 AM.
DanHoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:00 AM   #22
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, the creature might be real, but typically if it's real and has significant DR, it's because its hide is really really thick, and other than being able to make leather out of different parts of its skin, and maybe use less layering, it should have the same DR as any other leather of similar weight.
Yes. You're going to have to look at weight-to-DR ratios (or weight-to-DR-to-hit-location-coverage ratios). One could declare it desirable that exotic leathers from semi-fantastical beasts can provide a somewhat more favourable ratio than mundane leathers. But I don't think it's a good idea to design house rules that lets dinosaur hide outperform metal armour.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #23
PK

GURPS Loadouts: Low-Tech Armor sort of addresses this, by considering rhinoceros hide. Basically, you just use the Leather of Quality rules to cover it providing better protection. Heavier creatures will use heavier leather (e.g., a rhino is "heavy layered leather"), and then you add Leather of Quality modifiers on top of that to represent the creature's hide being unusually light and flexible for its toughness.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #24
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
So people reckon I should use the Leather of Quality rules from Low Tech, page 105 for 'leather' armor made from creatures with DR?

If such creatures are the norm (IE: Lands Out of Time) would a reduction in the CF of such armor be in order?
No, since the dinos are dangerous and harder leather means harder work.

Tags
armor, armor: low tech: