Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Orochi-art

Default Armor and Encumbrance penalty on movement

I'm looking for a solution to decrease penalty to knight's Basic Move that is induced by armor's encumbrance. Quick and dirty solution would be to increase his Basic Move but that solves only half of the problem.

- I don't want to make a professional runner with Basic Speed 9 so that he can move 6 yard while he is wearing armor.
- Also I don't want to create a character with high Dodge where he would be better off with less armor.

My opinion is based on the idea (and if I'm wrong I would like you to point it to me I'm in the wrong so I don't waste time on false theory) that weight is a less hindrance to a person who trained and has daily exposure to it. So through conditioning that person grown accustomed to the weight he is carrying and he can move more easily.

Here is an example for what I'm trying to find the answer

Basic Move 6, Dodge 9
Medium Encumbrance, Basic Move x 0.6, Dodge -2

Medium Encumbrance Basic Move 3,6 yards,
Medium Encumbrance Dodge 7

So is there a advantage, or perk to reduce penalty to movement and speed? (example: Increase movement by 1 yard/Increase Dodge by 1 while encumbered. This can't exceed your unencumbered Basic Move/Dodge)
Orochi-art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Armor and Encumbrance penalty on movement

Either an Accessibility limitation on Extra Move, or some extra Lifting ST to increase your encumbrance limits.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Tinman

Quote:
So is there a advantage, or perk to reduce penalty to movement and speed? (example: Increase movement by 1 yard/Increase Dodge by 1 while encumbered. This can't exceed your unencumbered Basic Move/Dodge)
No. None that I know of.

Quote:
I'm looking for a solution to decrease penalty to knight's Basic Move that is induced by armor's encumbrance. Quick and dirty solution would be to increase his Basic Move but that solves only half of the problem.
The best solution is to raise ST or Lifting ST to reduce the encumberance.
However, realize that 'running around' in 50+ lbs of armor is going to have a negitive effect on one's mobility.
Tinman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

If magic is a thing in your game world and you can afford it, there's an enchantment to reduce the weight of armor.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
DangerousThing

I know that properly made heavy clothing is easier to carry than an equal weight of things carried in a small messenger bag. This is current clothing, not medieval armor.

I don't know when people figured this out, but I've been told that good plate mail feels lighter than it actually is when worn. This was by recreationists, not of course by actual knights in armor. :)
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I know that properly made heavy clothing is easier to carry than an equal weight of things carried in a small messenger bag.
This is true, but GURPS encumbrance rules are already assuming a well-balanced load. In any case, given a GM willing to let you do it, the cheapest option is generally Payload (External -50%; Limited: counts against max Extra-Heavy Encumbrance -10%); every 4 points will increase your Light, Medium, and Heavy encumbrance levels by 1xBL.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi-art View Post
- I don't want to make a professional runner with Basic Speed 9 so that he can move 6 yard while he is wearing armor.
- Also I don't want to create a character with high Dodge where he would be better off with less armor.

[snip]
Here is an example for what I'm trying to find the answer

Basic Move 6, Dodge 9
Medium Encumbrance, Basic Move x 0.6, Dodge -2

Medium Encumbrance Basic Move 3,6 yards,
Medium Encumbrance Dodge 7

As others have said, an increase to Lifting ST could reduce the Encumbrance penalty from Medium to Light without turning him into a dodgy ninja or world-class runner. Lifting ST (Accessibility: Only Applies to Worn Armor, -40% (number thrown in off the top of my head)) [1.8/lvl] could do what you're going for and be plausible.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
gilbertocarlos

Use Low Tech weights instead of Basic Set, you'll get more realist stats.
Also, if even then you're on medium/heavy encumbrance, try buying lifting ST, or putting some of your stuff on your horse.

Most knights had 2+ horses, 1 for fighting, one as a beast of burden, maybe a third for riding. If you have a horse to put your bag, basic items, water, food, extra weapons etc... you get rid of 15+lbs.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Either an Accessibility limitation on Extra Move, or some extra Lifting ST to increase your encumbrance limits.
+2 or +3 Move, Limited -??% Only When at Medium or worse Encumbrance. Or Heavy.

Or +2 Lifting ST, Limited -??% Only When at Medium or worse Encumbrance. Or, again, Heavy.

The first construction is probably relatively less troublesome than the second.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Another option is +DR Limited to Only When Wearing Mail. That way, when this particular knight wears mail, he's as well protected as another character would be when wearig plate armour. Like the first two I suggsted, it's a bit weird, but at least this one is unproblematic, although it also may not be exactly what the OP wants.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, dodge, encumbrance, movement