Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
TheCrispyBit

Default What is a Average Armour for TL9 Space Opera

Hey Guys,

Long Time D&D player switching the GURPS for sci-fi campaign (and for what in general seems a way more flexible and realistic system)

I am after some idea of what an average NPCs (enemies) armour would be like in a TL9 Space campaign, I have searched everywhere for a standard idea, and all the armours seem to have wildly different capabilities and DRs.

Also interested in How anyone generates equipment quickly for NPC enemies (I do expect my players to search ALL the bodies)

Chars
TheCrispyBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: What is a Average Armour for TL9 Space Opera

Uh...are we talking military or non military?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
TheCrispyBit

Both I guess, I am shooting (hehehe) in the dark somewhat. At the moment I am designing generic space pirates. But I would welcome a general idea on either mil, civilian or anything inbetween as I will be designing some NPCs of all types and I just wanted an idea of how to generate equipment fast and what the armour should be like.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Generic space pirates would probably wear civilian vacc suits for boarding operations. Particularly well-equipped space pirates would wear reflex vacc suits
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Kage2020

One staple of space opera is the idea that superscience weapons will slice through armour (making it for the most part pointless) yet your average hero can soak up a few hits before carking it. If that's your space opera, then have weapons with low damage but high armour divisors, in which case the question of armour becomes whether the skull motif helmet sets off the colour of death in the eyes of your legions of terror or not.
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
the question of armour becomes whether the skull motif helmet sets off the colour of death in the eyes of your legions of terror
*glances at Kage's avatar*
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
TheCrispyBit

I like the simplicity of that, I reckon with that I can work something out. I do like the idea of armour (bar super high-tech military) being mostly pointless. I will look over things again. Thanks for your thoughts peeps, I am incredibly grateful.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrispyBit View Post
Hey Guys,

Long Time D&D player switching the GURPS for sci-fi campaign (and for what in general seems a way more flexible and realistic system)

I am after some idea of what an average NPCs (enemies) armour would be like in a TL9 Space campaign, I have searched everywhere for a standard idea, and all the armours seem to have wildly different capabilities and DRs.

Also interested in How anyone generates equipment quickly for NPC enemies (I do expect my players to search ALL the bodies)

Chars
(GURPS Ultra-Tech, pg 148) ... for the weapons they'd be carrying.
(GURPS Ultra-Tech, pg 186) ... for the armor they'd be wearing.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
TheCrispyBit

Oooh, thanks for the clarification Sunrunner
Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrispyBit View Post
Oooh, thanks for the clarification Sunrunner
Yeah, Ultra-Tech is a big book of ready-made equipment for TL9-13. However, I'd recommend that you don't just throw in everything in the book: take a look at the different weapon technologies, some of which do vastly different amounts of damage and decide what you want to use, and think about why the parts you don't want aren't there ("not been invented", or "relies on physics that don't work in this universe" are good reasons).

You have to do this with GURPS, because unlike D&D, GURPS is not "a game to play", it's a toolkit for constructing the game you want. Even "GURPS TL9 generic space opera" is not "a game". It's a big step towards one, but it isn't complete. You have a bunch of world-building decisions to take first. Things that might help:

Tales of the Solar Patrol is a built world that serves as an example, and is good fun in its own right. GURPS Space is a whole book about how to build space campaigns.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, equipment, npcs, sci-fi, space