Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #31
Cowrie

Default Re: Food & other stuff production in a farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Venoms and toxins often have therapeutic and/or recreational properties when diluted and/or purified. Some poison frogs produce opiates thousands of times stronger than heroin, and there is always the example of Botox.
Not to mention, past a certain TL, venoms are often used in production of antivenin.

Also, I actually have a setting with cow people and milk production as a perk, albeit a leveled one since the race in question is more productive than normal cows.

Here's a twist to the topic at hand: What about species that produce multiple useful products? For example, a breed of sheep or goat that's used for both wool and milk. Would you bundle the profit produced by each product together into one advantage, or keep them separate?
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #32
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I'd disagree on that interpretation.
Fair enough. If Tenure doesn't come into play, I'd say that producing comparable amounts of money* to a job of your Wealth or lower is a Feature, and it's [1] per +1 SSR. So, basically my Tenure build, but 5 points less and minimum [0].

*Which, in this case, is in the form of goods rather than cash/coins/credits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
Here's a twist to the topic at hand: What about species that produce multiple useful products? For example, a breed of sheep or goat that's used for both wool and milk. Would you bundle the profit produced by each product together into one advantage, or keep them separate?
Separate, although making that into a metatrait wouldn't be outlandish. The sheep produces milk as a job (maybe with, maybe without Tenure, depending on how you interpret freelance jobs to work), and wool as Independent Income. For a character who has two things he can produce, but has to choose between them (a theoretical sheep who can stop milk production to make more wool, say), Alternate Abilities would make sense.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #33
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Taking it out of the context of making money, what about a character who has the ability to generate some resource useful in an adventuring context? Say for example a Groot-like creature who can generate edible fruit to feed its comrades? Or a robot that can consume junk and scrap and fabricate ammunition? Or a magical golem that can duplicate a potion it consumes? I probably just use Gizmos and Accessory perks for most such characters, but arethere any other suggestions?
If it's just one thing, you can probably just use whatever build from above is appropriate - the stuff is potentially useful right now, but can't be sold for full value, so isn't as useful as outright money later. I'd call that a wash.

For a character that can produce a wider range, he functionally has both the ability to generate money and free access to a Shop. I'd eyeball the latter as being worth roughly [10] - a low point Ally (base [1]) who is Always Available (x4), has Special Abilities (always has a fully-stocked shop, +50%), and is Summonable (+100%). If what the character can make is more limited, adjust the price downward; if the character can make things that aren't typically available in Town (whatever that is for your campaign), you may need to adjust price upward, but that's a decent jumping-off point. Only being able to make purchases with the "money" you get from Independent Income or your freelance/Tenured virtual Job probably drops the base price to [5], maybe lower.

Note the character doesn't literally have the ability to summon a shopkeep to buy stuff from, we're just using that to come up with a fair price.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:33 AM   #34
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I'm pleased to learn that, even by this more serious measure, my instinct to call a cow-person's ability to produce milk a perk kind of holds up.
Human persons also produce milk.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:40 AM   #35
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Human persons also produce milk.
Only under rather restricted circumstances.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:51 AM   #36
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Only under rather restricted circumstances.
Isn't that true for all mammals?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:32 AM   #37
isf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Taking it out of the context of making money, what about a character who has the ability to generate some resource useful in an adventuring context? Say for example a Groot-like creature who can generate edible fruit to feed its comrades? Or a robot that can consume junk and scrap and fabricate ammunition? Or a magical golem that can duplicate a potion it consumes? I probably just use Gizmos and Accessory perks for most such characters, but arethere any other suggestions?
I think that the RAW is consumable signature gear