Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2018, 06:42 AM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Using Visualiztion

The problem with any replacement for Visualization is that it violates the ABC (Accurate, Basic, and Cheap) principle. In GURPS, you always take the most accurate ability, the most basic ability, and the cheapest ability. An Affliction that requires a half dozen multiplicative modifiers and costs more than Visualization violates all three principles.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
Humabout

I've never really seen visualization come up in play, but I'm thinking about including an abaility based on it in a mystical ESP-like power to representing tapping ancient knowledge. The time constraint will keep it in check for me, since the game its being designed for is very combat-centric. This would basically be a way to get a bonus to a noncombat skill to acconplish something.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #13
Culture20

I recently described to a friend a demigod character I once played: “Victory”. She not only had ridiculous IQ, but also used Visualization with reduced time, blessing, Detect (good destiny), and Bless (among other spells) to give notable people an edge in any contest (even as mundane as games or bartering). Notable People were usually her fellow demigods.
His response condensed my description well: “So her power is... winning.”
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The problem with any replacement for Visualization is that it violates the ABC (Accurate, Basic, and Cheap) principle. In GURPS, you always take the most accurate ability, the most basic ability, and the cheapest ability. An Affliction that requires a half dozen multiplicative modifiers and costs more than Visualization violates all three principles.
The problem is that visualization should not exist as currently written, because it double-dips on IQ and is generally too cheap for the possible benefits it gives. Thus, it should either be constructed as a standard ability using existing power modifiers (which will make it more expensive for any significant bonus) or as a flat bonus that follows the rules for designing new advantages (probably something like a +1/+2 depending how similar the visualization is to the actual situation).