Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Using Visualiztion

So, I was wondering how often people have characters with Visualization or have players with Visualization in their campaigns? If so, how often do they use Visualization? Do you find Visualization abusive or is it just another tool for characters to use?

Visualization can be quite powerful and, if given Reduced Time, can give a consistent bonus to any one roll every turn for a very small cost. Even if a GM forbids Visualization with Reduced Time, players are still capable of producing characters that gain massive bonuses from Visualization. When combined with Blessing and/or Cursing, it can also become a useful buff and/or debuff power as well.

For example, a super with IQ 16, Will 20, Probability Manipulation 4, and Visualization (Based on Will, +20%; Reduced Time 7, +140%; Reliable 10, +50%; Super, -10%) [30] is capable of reliably giving themselves a +6 bonus on one roll every combat (with a reliable +6 to +18 bonus to any one roll every turn outside of combat). While the super probably possesses other potent abilities, the super will probably end up using Visualization every turn, while he or she will use his or her other probability manipulation powers less often.

In a less over-the-top example, a psychic with IQ 12, Will 16, Probability Manipulation 4, and Visualization (Based on Will, +20%; Psychic, -10%; Reliable 10, +50%) [16] is capable of reliably giving themselves between a +5 to a +15 bonus on any roll after a minute of concentration, depending on how much their visualization corresponds with reality. While they will not be capable of using their ability in combat, creative players will be able to consistently receive the bonus for their characters multiple times during a gaming session.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Using Visualiztion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
So, I was wondering how often people have characters with Visualization or have players with Visualization in their campaigns? If so, how often do they use Visualization? Do you find Visualization abusive or is it just another tool for characters to use?
Visualization is not necessarily abusive, but it's poorly designed, can be abused pretty easily, and has no real justification for existing -- it should either be a levelled trait that gives a bonus equal to its level, or a limited form of another advantage that gives a bonus. For example, 'Luck (only actions I have previously visualized myself succeeding at)'.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

It exists because it is thematically appropriate for practitioners of chi and practitioners of magic (I believe that it first appeared in 3e Voodoo, though I could be wrong). For example, using Visualization to improve Breaking Blow or Power Blow would be thematically appropriate for a character with Trained by a Master while using Visualization to improve ritual magic would be thematically appropriate for a practitioner of Ritual Magic or Thaumatology. In each case, the Focused limitation is probably appropriate though.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
It exists because it is thematically appropriate for practitioners of chi and practitioners of magic.
Oh, the description is fine. It should just be implemented using standard mechanics, not by a one-off special mechanic, and standard mechanics are that this is a skill bonus with preparation required.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Oh, the description is fine. It should just be implemented using standard mechanics, not by a one-off special mechanic, and standard mechanics are that this is a skill bonus with preparation required.
On the other hand, I can't think of a very good base advantage for "Get a bonus to potentially anything, but only one thing at a time." I suppose you could create it as a (highly limited) bonus to all stats, but the build would come out both very convoluted and almost certainly overpriced. I am agreed with you in wishing that there was an advantage along those lines that came with less baggage than Visualization.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
On the other hand, I can't think of a very good base advantage for "Get a bonus to potentially anything, but only one thing at a time."
Well, I'd be tempted by luck (though that has limits on how often you can use it); if it's usable at will 10 points is probably about right for a constant +1.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Extrarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
On the other hand, I can't think of a very good base advantage for "Get a bonus to potentially anything, but only one thing at a time." I suppose you could create it as a (highly limited) bonus to all stats, but the build would come out both very convoluted and almost certainly overpriced. I am agreed with you in wishing that there was an advantage along those lines that came with less baggage than Visualization.
You could do something like
Affliction (Melee C, No Parry -35%; Fixed Duration; Reduced Duration 1/60 [3 seconds] -35%; Advantage: Cosmic Modular Abilities[Skills Only; 4 pt pool] +360%*; Accessibility(Self Only) -10%**) [38]

This allows you to grant yourself a 4 point reconfigurable pool that lasts 3 seconds and can be used to boost any single skill. If you wanted to make it more like visualization, you could add Immediate Preparation Required [1 Minute] -30%, add Based on IQ +20%, and make the advantage Margin-Based to add +720%.

Multiplicative modifiers are much nicer for the plain version above, reducing it to only 10 points. The version described being more like visualization [-30% for immediate preparation required, +20% for Based on IQ, +1080% total for the margin-of-success CMA] comes out to 24 points with multiplicative modifiers.

* Using Variable Enhancements [+40%] +400% for the same price allows you to use all the options of Affliction for any (group of) enhancement(s) up to +40%, but increasing skill level if not one of the options for Affliction, while it is something you can use the advantage Cosmic Modular Abilities for.
** I picked -10% for Self Only because it makes the limitations total -80%

Another option is simply taking some kind of modular power. If you use cosmic modular ability, it comes out to 36 points per pool of 4 pts to boost skills. If you don't use multiplicative modifiers, taking modular abilities is cheaper and easier.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote