Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default ?s About Potential Unaging modifiers

Unaging as written makes you immune to both natural & unnatural aginq. What if I wanted to build someone immune to one & not the other? Immune to natural but not unnatural, or vice versa. How should I split the modifier values for that? Obviously they should add up to +100% regardless considering natural & unnatural is everything.

We've been talking about Unaging used as part of an Affliction. To both Age them prematurely via Unaging w Age Control, or to force children to stay children by preventing even natural growth & maturation? Stuff like that. Weaponized Unaging.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: ?s About Potential Unaging modifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Unaging as written makes you immune to both natural & unnatural aginq. What if I wanted to build someone immune to one & not the other?
It's been mentioned a few times by various authors, including Kromm and PK, that they consider Unaging to effectively be an example of Resistant, Resistant to Aging, at the "immunity" level. At 15 points, that suggest "aging" is a Common hazard (personally, I think it's overpriced at that level, but this is RAW). So, I'd price Unaging ("only unnatural aging" or "only natural aging") to line up with the next least common category of Resistant, Occasional, and thus make either of them a -35% limitation.

Immune to natural but not unnatural, or vice versa. How should I split the modifier values for that? Obviously they should add up to +100% regardless considering natural & unnatural is everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3
We've been talking about Unaging used as part of an Affliction. To both Age them prematurely via Unaging w Age Control,
Given the way Age Control works (10 years per full 1 year you use it, as you noted in your other thread), it's not going to be very practical to afflict it, at least not without some very large Extended Duration enhancements on the Affliction. Personally, to make this kind of aging attack viable, I'd tweak the way it works - Unaging with default Age Control would instantly age or de-age the target by 10 years, but they would then be immune to movements to their age in that "direction" for a full year. The modifications to Age Control I suggested in your other thread would then modify the immunity period, effectively. So, if you used Unaging with Age Control priced to age 10 years in 1 month, the target of the Affliction would still age 10 years instantly, and then be immune to aging for a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3
or to force children to stay children by preventing even natural growth & maturation? Stuff like that. Weaponized Unaging.
Unaging would stop their physical growth in this case (though, again, you'd need a long Extended Duration, otherwise they'd just stop ageing for a couple of minutes, until the Affliction wore off), but I don't think it would stop mental maturation. Unaging doesn't stop you from gaining experience or skills, or any of the other stuff that goes into mental maturity. You'd need something else in the Affliction to stop that. I'd probably price that part based on Cannot Learn, with some limitations to make it not stop learning skills, but rather just preventing buying off the various disadvantages and buying the advantages that represent mental "maturity".
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
The Benj

Default Re: ?s About Potential Unaging modifiers

Unnatural aging is pretty rare, so I'd say knocking it down to 10 points is fine.
But yeah, Unaging is generally overpriced.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, attack, modifiers, unaging