Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
fictionfan

Default I need a specific gas

Does anyone know a gas that is opaque to vision, but breathable?

I am playing game of SCION. My character is has Penetrating glare a abbilty that allows me to see though smoke, tinted windows. one way mirrors and just about anything else light can go though. I would like to make full use of my ability by using gas bombs so everyone else can't see, but I don't want to be chocking.

Also do anyone know a gas that is opaque to vision and toxic, but only is you breath it. I am thinking of investing in a ability that will make it so I don't have to breath.

It would be an advantage for both of these if they were cheap and easy to find. The game is set in the modern world.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Jovus

Default Re: I need a specific gas

Use either fog, or combine ammonia with hydrochloric acid - this will actually give you a solid, but if you do it right the particulates are so fine they can stay airborne for days.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
fictionfan

Can that be concentrated into a gas bomb that I can carry?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Jovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fictionfan View Post
Can that be concentrated into a gas bomb that I can carry?
I can't see why not, with a couple of ingenious mechanisms to keep the chemicals separate and then disperse the mixture.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Does anyone know a gas that is opaque to vision, but breathable?
There aren't really any gases that are opaque to vision but breathable. However, fine droplets (fog) or particles (smoke, etc) are opaque given sufficient distance. The fog is harmless, the particulate matter is not quite harmless but isn't very harmful (depending on the particles).

However, I can't think of any choices that are opaque over a distance of less than tens of meters.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
fictionfan

While if the first one can't be done. I'll have to invest in not breathing. It there any opaque gas (or airborne particles) that are toxic, but only if breathed. When I say toxic I mean something that will hamper and disable the enemy in combat time (the turns are measured in seconds). It does not have to be deadly, but in fact it might be better if it is not.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
While if the first one can't be done. I'll have to invest in not breathing. It there any opaque gas (or airborne particles) that are toxic, but only if breathed. When I say toxic I mean something that will hamper and disable the enemy in combat time (the turns are measured in seconds).
Well, bear in mind that people can hold their breath; if you really want combat effectiveness you usually need a contact agent. If you have a way of protecting your eyes, I recommend tear gas -- it's reasonably opaque, reasonably incapacitating, and unlikely to harm bystanders.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
I am playing game of SCION. My character is has Penetrating glare a abbilty that allows me to see though smoke, tinted windows. one way mirrors and just about anything else light can go though. I would like to make full use of my ability by using gas bombs so everyone else can't see, but I don't want to be chocking.
I don't know SCION, but if you're playing in a setting where Penetrating Glare is possible, why can't you get someone with <Scientific Genius> to invent a <Breathable Obscuring Gas>?

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
fictionfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
I don't know SCION, but if you're playing in a setting where Penetrating Glare is possible, why can't you get someone with <Scientific Genius> to invent a <Breathable Obscuring Gas>?

Hans
We don't have a science genius in our party and our DM is real big on realism as odd as them seems when you are playing children of gods.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
We don't have a science genius in our party and our DM is real big on realism as odd as them seems when you are playing children of gods.
Our gaming table is full of RL Science Geniuses. Jovus (upthread) is in our group, as are Chemgeek/Theltemes/Martinl-- the latter three hold Ph.D.s in various scientific fields.

It's actually a little difficult to run a science fiction campaign, since you'll always get some "expert" stopping the action to tell us why that can't happen.

-P
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote