Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 05-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
RogerBW

Default BattleTech in TS

This has been a minor background element in my own TS game, and may become more significant if I ever run one set on Mars.

It seems to me that TS supports all the technology needed for recognisable BattleMechs: fusion power, neural interface, energy weapons, and armour. I don't off-hand know what the smallest canonical fusion-powered vehicle is, but in rules terms we're looking at SM+6 to +7 and that's not a problem for Spaceships (TL10 fusion reactors have no size limit).

Of course, they still make absolutely no sense as war machines. Everyone recognises that. In a world filled with smart missiles, drones, and nanoswarms, a 10-metre-tall walking tank is simply a great big target. But some of the older Martian Millionaires (sorry, Phil) remember a game they played back when they were kids - a wargame, a card game, a VR simulation - and now they have the money to play it for real.

So in my TS there is a BattleTech Re-Enactment Society on Mars - "it's no sillier than the SCA" - which devotes itself to formalised combat between giant fusion-powered robots with artificially short-ranged and high-heat weapons. They could be VR-piloted, but in that case you might as well just jack in to a simulation - honour insists that the warrior be present in the cockpit. Very few people get to see the fights in person, but sale of recordings goes some slight way to defray the massive costs involved. That said, it's still a wildly expensive and dangerous sport.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: BattleTech in TS

Not much sillier than Titan Wrestling, I guess.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Apache
On Notice

This actually sounds plausible; you have real-life companies that offer 'mock dogfighting' in actual jets. Expensive, but fun if you can afford it.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

There might be other legit reasons to have giant robots on Mars, too, like landscaping or intermodal loading or recovery of smaller vehicles.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
There might be other legit reasons to have giant robots on Mars, too, like landscaping or intermodal loading or recovery of smaller vehicles.
Probably not as big as Battlemechs though.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Battlebots/Robot Wars remote control sounds safer.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Probably not as big as Battlemechs though.
10 meters isn't out of round, but they'd probably be more spindly, esp with Martian gravity. Need more limbs, too. I, for one, welcome our quadrapedal tentacle bot overlords.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
10 meters isn't out of round, but they'd probably be more spindly, esp with Martian gravity. Need more limbs, too. I, for one, welcome our quadrapedal tentacle bot overlords.
Aren't some of them bigger? I remember some were 50 feet tall.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Tzeentch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
It seems to me that TS supports all the technology needed for recognisable BattleMechs: fusion power, neural interface, energy weapons, and armour. I don't off-hand know what the smallest canonical fusion-powered vehicle is, but in rules terms we're looking at SM+6 to +7 and that's not a problem for Spaceships (TL10 fusion reactors have no size limit).
-- Sounds cool. I don't know why they would use fusion plants vs. cheap batteries though? I'm sure people will be trying to justify "useful" (lol) large anthropomorphic robots too -- for megaconstruction projects, art projects ("It's a reconstruction of the Atlas of Rhodes, but can move!") and vanity (maybe different divisions of mecha combat ranging from build-your-own combat cybershells to Gundam scale?). Maybe small kits are done like modern gunpla stuff, with a mix of company and garage kits for all budgets and tastes...
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
-- Sounds cool. I don't know why they would use fusion plants vs. cheap batteries though? I'm sure people will be trying to justify "useful" (lol) large anthropomorphic robots too -- for megaconstruction projects, art projects ("It's a reconstruction of the Atlas of Rhodes, but can move!") and vanity (maybe different divisions of mecha combat ranging from build-your-own combat cybershells to Gundam scale?). Maybe small kits are done like modern gunpla stuff, with a mix of company and garage kits for all budgets and tastes...
Dome Teams!

I can't wait for the Robinson City Reaver to wax that goddamn Shanghai Shanker!

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battletech