Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #531
Stix4armz

Default Re: [IC] A Stranger Land

"That is quite a distance..." Artemis says, "We should leave at once to be sure to make it in time."
Stix4armz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #532
Ulthar88

Captain Fox picks up an envelope from the table and explains, "Well, Your first stop will be Treeshadow -- this letter is for the captain of the gate guard there. Although technically still in our barony, due to their location, they rely more on Saxony for protection anyway. And they'll certainly pass the warning on to Aeden, which may be in more danger of Bestial adventurism in any case. But, as I said, I have no idea if they have a mage capable of long range communication."

He picks up two more thick envelopes from the table, "And thence to Dunwin Harrow. These two are addressed to Sergeant Pinion at the southern gate. If he is not there, which isn't often, wait until he is. He'll know these are genuine. One contains my concerns about the Bestials, and the other is my recommendation which should allow you entry to the city."

"Ah,"
the captain continues, "directions -- I don't think finding your way could be a problem for you; Tinwhistle seems to think you're capable wilderness hands. First, know that fifty miles south of here is a thick woodland called the Green Leagues; you may have heard it mentioned in hushed tones. I know you're adventurous, but for the love of gods, don't go in there. The king would have you executed -- but that'll never happen because you will take a dozen poisoned darts out of nowhere and wake up just in time to experience being carved up for dinner -- they like their meat fresh and squirming, so they say. The Headless cannibals, that is. That forest is the sovereign territory of their tribes by agreement with the king -- no one who goes in there without the charter of the king ever comes out again."

"So, anyway, the route to Treeshadow is quite simple. Cross the river here and follow it downstream until you get to the Green Leagues -- it will be quite obvious. Then skirt the forest on its northwest edge -- um, the Headless have some sort of phobia about open spaces, but they have been known to take 'game' that wanders too close to the edge of the wood -- so keeping the forest a good arrow shot away on your right, follow it right around to where the Sapphire comes out the other side, then just continue downstream to find Treeshadow. From there, they can point out the road to Dunwin Harrow."

"It is about 200 wilderness miles to Treeshadow -- that shouldn't pose much difficulty for you. And a bit less than two hundred more to Dunwin Harrow -- now, that's a different sort of wilderness. You'll be will into the interior by then and in far less danger of goblin or beast assault... but the recent wealth of trade through Saxony has also brought a bumper crop of highwaymen. Watch out for them and don't trust any fellow travelers -- especially religious pilgrims."
Ulthar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 AM   #533
Stix4armz

"Stay out of the Green Leagues, don't trust other travelers, watch out for highwaymen." Artemis repeats.

"After we deliver the message in Dunwin Harrow, is there any mage in particular we should see about figuring out our problem?"
Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #534
Skullcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulthar88 View Post
.....don't trust any fellow travelers -- especially religious pilgrims."
Rorik grins and says,"I never have...."

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #535
Ulthar88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix4armz View Post
"After we deliver the message in Dunwin Harrow, is there any mage in particular we should see about figuring out our problem?"
The captain shrugs, "I'm afraid my knowledge of the guild's personnel is a bit out of date, but our Head-man seems to have a high opinion of the guild-master there -- you might see if he knows anything more. But the only person in this town with first-hand knowledge would be Maple... at least that's what he calls himself lately... the Mages' Guild, er, representative here in town. But even when sober, his attitude towards his guild seems a bit, um, bitter. I'm not sure if consulting him would do any good, but that's up to you."
Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 AM   #536
Stix4armz

"I am not going to try to drag an answer out of a drunken disgruntled mage. We can just inquire at the guild when we arrive in Dunwin Harrow." Artemis says.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #537
Ulthar88

(If everyone is ready to begin the journey, post any final preparations and an SOP for traveling -- such as what parts of the day you'll be traveling and how.

If it suits everyone, I intend to summarize the journey, stopping only when you need to make a decision -- or defend yourselves :)

Your speed might be improved a bit by carrying rations, rather than foraging, but enough rations to last the whole way might just slow you down anyhow. You can tell, however, that foraging will not be particularly difficult in this region and daily rolls will not be required, but a little marching time will be taken out for food gathering.)
Old 04-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #538
Stix4armz

ooc: Artemis has 3 rations in his pack, but intends to mainly live off the land; if the others intend to pack rations and not forage then Artemis will get up an hour early each day to gather food so as not to slow the group down. Therefore Artemis doesn't need to buy or do anything before we leave.

Just curious, when are we dropping Gemini's character?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #539
Ulthar88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix4armz View Post
Just curious, when are we dropping Gemini's character?
At the first opportunity that the previously established transreality linkage mechanism is available ( :P -- just trying to keep things consistent )
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #540
Lamech

Since time is of the essence how about I cast something to get us moving a bit quicker? Anyone mind if I just cast it now? Assuming no one minds I begin muttering arcane phrases.

Magic Stuff
Spoiler:  

Oh and we aren't extra stealthy anymore, so don't try anything that requires supernatural stealth. I bounce back and forth on my legs, Its kind of nice don't you agree.
Hiriko
Andrew

Last edited by Lamech; 04-17-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a stranger land