Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #461
E221b

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Love this thread - it's been really helpful when designing my own Marvel supers. I'm wondering if you've given any thought to Psklocke, Hawkeye, X-23, or Nico (from Runaways). I'm trying to build them for a game of mine and especially Psylocke and Nico are giving me trouble.
E221b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #462
zoncxs

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

anyone did a write up for deadpool yet?
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #463
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by E221b View Post
Love this thread - it's been really helpful when designing my own Marvel supers. I'm wondering if you've given any thought to Psklocke, Hawkeye, X-23, or Nico (from Runaways). I'm trying to build them for a game of mine and especially Psylocke and Nico are giving me trouble.
Hawkeye, maybe, as he is one of the older characters. Psylocke... IF I do her, as noted before, it'd be her original blond-dyed-lavender English form, not the Asian ninja.

X-23 is a gengineered clone of Wolverine. I'm not sure I'll do him as yet, which means probably not her.

Nico... I admit to knowing nothing about the character.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #464
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
anyone did a write up for deadpool yet?
Not yet. Not sure I will. I mean, he is one of the better modern characters, and zany as all hell, but... not sure he fits the Reboot.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #465
Phantasm

And now for someone who deviates the most from their mainstream or Ultimate versions:

SCARLET WITCH

Identity: Publicly known.
Legal Status: Unknown.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Unrevealed.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: Pietro (alias Quicksilver, brother).
Group Affiliation: Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.
Base of Operations: Mobile.
History: Not much is known about the origins of the Scarlet Witch before her first appearance. She and her twin brother Pietro claim to be gypsies, although there are hints that they were adopted rather than born into the culture (see Quicksilver).

It is not currently known how the two came to the attention of the mutant criminal Magneto, but the self-proclaimed Master of Magnetism was quick to induct them into his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (see Brotherhood of Evil Mutants; Magneto). Wanda in particular was easily swayed by Magneto's personal charm and force of personality; Pietro has admitted that he only accepted Magneto's offer to protect his impressionable sister. Wanda was apparently already calling herself the Scarlet Witch before joining the group. In their first appearance with the group, the Scarlet Witch and the rest of the Brotherhood faced off against the X-Men; although they were defeated, they managed to escape (see X-Men).

Wanda has changed since joining the Brotherhood. She is far more confident since joining, but has also become colder towards others, including her brother. During a brief time when Magneto was separated from the group, Wanda took charge and led the Brotherhood with the same heavy hand that Magneto did. After he was reunited with the team, Magneto made her his official second-in-command. These developments have adversely affected her relationship with her brother; both Wanda and Magneto believe it is only a matter of time before Pietro betrays them.
Height: 5' 4".
Weight: 110 lbs.
Eyes: Green.
Hair: Auburn.
Uniform: Black sleeveless Spandex bodysuit, red shoulder-less low-neck dress with leg slits up to the waist and loose elbow-length sleeves, black elbow-length Spandex gloves, red sash around the waist, red calf-high boots with mystic patterns on the front and four-inch heels, black headband.
Strength Level: The Scarlet Witch possesses the normal human strength of a woman her age, height, and build who engages in moderate exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: Wanda Maximoff is a mutant who was born with the ability to wield ambient magical energies. Most Earth-born sorcerers utilize three main sources of power: innate mental powers, ambient magical energies, and extra-dimensional sources. Wanda is naturally inclined to use ambient energies to the exclusion of the other two.

Wanda knows a number of spells dealing primarily with illusions, transmutation, and probability. She has been shown being able to turn multiple people invisible, create realistic illusions that affect all the senses and which can be captured on film and digital media, and the ability to grant "good luck" to allies and "bad luck" to opponents. She has also been shown casting eldricht bolts of raw magical energy to injure opponents, although these tend to tire her out if she fires off too many of them in a short time frame. In addition to these, she is able to create shields of mystic energy to protect herself from harm.

Wanda also knows several spells which she uses to alter matter. She has shown the ability to turn a solid metal door into gas, turn pavement into mud, and even so far as to briefly turn one of her teammates, the Toad, into his namesake animal as punishment (see Toad).

Wanda's powers are unpredictable, and don't always operate the way she wants them to. Since joining the Brotherhood, however, her powers have become more reliable than before.

425 points
Attributes:
ST 10 [0]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 11 [10].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs; HP 10 [0]; Will 14 [10]; Per 12 [0]; FP 11 [0]; Basic Speed 5.5 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 9.
Languages: English (Accented) [4]; Romanian (Native Spoken/Semi-Literate) [-2].
Cultural Familiarities: Balkans (Native) [0]; Western [1].
Advantages: Appearance (Beautiful) [12]; Claim to Hospitality (Gypsies) [5]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Energy/2 [40]; Fit [5]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Illusion/3 [30]; Intuition [15]; Luck/3 [30]; Magery 3 (Radically Unstable Magery (Activation Roll), -10%; Mutant, -10%) [28]; Matter/3 [60].
Perks: High-Heeled Heroine [1]; Magical School Familiarity (Gypsy Magic) [1]; Photogenic [1]; Sexy Pose [1].
Disadvantages: Callous [-5]; Code of Honor (Gypsy) [-5]; Fanaticism (Mutant Supremacy) [-15]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Magneto) [-2]; Social Stigma (Minority Group) [-10]; Wealth (Struggling) [-10].
Quirks: Dual Identity [-1]; Impressionable [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX+1 [8] – 12; Acting (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Autohypnosis (H) Will+2 [12] – 16; Carousing (E) HT+1 [2] – 12; Escape (H) DX+1 [8] – 12; Filch (A) DX+1 [4] – 12; Fortune Telling (Gypsy) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+3 [8] – 14; Intimidation (A) Will+0 [2] – 14; Judo (H) DX+0 [4] – 11; Karate (H) DX+0 [4] – 11; Leadership (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Observation (A) Per+2 [8] – 14; Running (A) HT+1 [4] – 12; Sex Appeal (Human) (A) HT+4 [2] – 15*; Shield (Force) (E) DX+3 [8] – 14; Sleight of Hand (H) DX+1 [8] – 12; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4] – 12; Streetwise (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Survival (Woodlands) (A) Per+2 [8] – 14; Thaumatology (VH) IQ+3 [8] – 15†.
Magical Realm Skills: Energy (VH) IQ+3 [8] – 15†; Illusion (VH) IQ+3 [8] – 15†; Luck (VH) IQ+3 [8] – 15†; Matter (VH) IQ+3 [8] – 15†.
Starting Spending Money: $2,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +4 from Appearance.
† Includes +3 from Magery.

Design Notes:
1. Cost of Magery includes Magery 0 with both Radically Unstable Magery and Mutant applied to it. It just looked weird putting both Magery 0 and Magery 3 with the same limitations on them on the sheet together.
2. In her first appearance, she possesses Radically Unstable Magery (All Failures Are Critical Failures) (-30%), and lacks the Callous disadvantage. Her time with the Brotherhood has enabled her to buy up the Radically Unstable Magery to the -10% level, but she gains Callous as a result.
3. Her Social Stigma is either Mutant (in the Americas and Western Europe) or Gypsy (in Eastern Europe), depending on where she is at the time.
4. One thing that always bothered me about Wanda was how undefined her powerset in the comics was. She started off as a probability manipulator, and evolved over time into a full-fledged reality manipulator - on a sub-conscious level! And it seems with that kind of power, the writers didn't know what to do with her, except as a plot device to completely mess things up on a cosmic scale. So, I've cut her back to a manageable, playable level of power.

Last edited by Phantasm; 12-27-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #466
Psychotime

You're a seriously cool dude for making and maintaining a thread like this for so long, but...

Quote:
Burning Attack 18d (Nova Burst) (Area Effect (64), +300%; Costs 10 Fatigue, -50%; Damage Modifier: Explosion (Damage / 1xYards), +150%; Emanation, -20%; Requires Concentrate, -15%; Elemental: Heat/Fire, -10%; Super, -10%) [401]
I gotta ask, how does that work? If that's not a typo, I gotta say that move looks like a serious nightmare to run numbers for. A 64 square yard area with a 18d explosion (with damage/1yard for that matter) on every spot.

Last edited by Psychotime; 01-10-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Psychotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #467
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
You're a seriously cool dude for making and maintaining a thread like this for so long, but...

Quote:
Burning Attack 18d (Nova Burst) (Area Effect (64), +300%; Costs 10 Fatigue, -50%; Damage Modifier: Explosion (Damage / 1xYards), +150%; Emanation, -20%; Requires Concentrate, -15%; Elemental: Heat/Fire, -10%; Super, -10%) [401]
I gotta ask, how does that work? If that's not a typo, I gotta say that move looks like a serious nightmare to run numbers for. A 64 square yard area with a 18d explosion (with damage/1yard for that matter) on every spot.
My idea is that it's the initial 64 yard radius that takes the 18d, and outside that it's treated as explosion damage. The one time I remember him using this attack, he burned down an entire college campus.

An entire college campus.

Of course, I'm open to ideas for refinement.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #468
Psychotime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
My idea is that it's the initial 64 yard radius that takes the 18d, and outside that it's treated as explosion damage. The one time I remember him using this attack, he burned down an entire college campus.

An entire college campus.

Of course, I'm open to ideas for refinement.

You know, I wonder how you can write that. It is kinda strange that there's no rule or modifier that makes explosions larger than 3 feet wide.

Does High Tech have anything on nukes?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #469
Phantasm

URICH, BEN

Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.
Identity: Ben Urich does not use a dual identity.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Brooklyn, New York City.
Marital Status: Divorced.
Known Relatives: Ex-wife (name unrevealed).
Group Affiliation: Employee of the Daily Bugle.
Base of Operations: New York City.
History: Ben Urich grew up in Brooklyn. From an early age, he delighted in discovering the truth behind events. He worked his way through college working in the mail room of the Daily Bugle; after receiving his journalism degree he was promoted to reporter (see Daily Bugle).

Urich became interested in the masked vigilante operating in Hell's Kitchen who was going by the name of Daredevil, and started following his exploits for the Bugle (see Daredevil). Daredevil's career almost became an obsession for Urich, to the point that his wife divorced him over it. Urich was determined to discover Daredevil's secret. Eventually, Urich obtained enough proof to link Daredevil to the blind Assistant District Attorney Matt Murdock.

As he was writing his expose, however, Urich came to realize what this piece would mean not only to himself, but to Murdock: If he went ahead and sent the piece to the Bugle's publisher, J. Jonah Jameson, Murdock would be finished (see Jameson, J. Jonah). Over the course of his investigation, Urich had started to relate to Murdock, and could not bring himself to destroy another man's life so callously. Ultimately, Urich deleted the article.

Urich has since lent his investigative and journalistic talents to aid Daredevil on several occasions since.
Height: 5' 9".
Weight: 140 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Gray.
Uniform: None.
Strength Level: Ben Urich possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in little regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: None.

65 points
Attributes:
ST 10 [0]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 10 [0].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs; HP 10 [0]; Will 12 [0]; Per 12 [0]; FP 10 [0]; Basic Speed 5 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 8.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0]; Spanish (Accented) [4].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Contact (Police Forensics; Skill 15) (Frequency: 9 or less; Usually Reliable) [4]; Danger Sense [15]; Empathy [15]; High Manual Dexterity 2 [10]; Merchant Rank 0 [0]; Single-Minded [5].
Perks: Doodad 1 [1]; Focused (Writing) [1]; Permit (Conceal Carry) [1].
Disadvantages: Addiction (Tobacco) [-5]; Bad Sight (Nearsighted) (Mitigator: Glasses) [-10]; Code of Honor (Journalist's) [-5]; Combat Paralysis [-15]; Loner (12) [-5]; Pacifism (Self-Defense Only) [-15]; Sense of Duty (Matt Murdock/Daredevil) [-2].
Quirks: Broad-Minded [-1]; Dogged Persistence [-1]; Nosy [-5]; Trivial Reputation (Disliked By Police) [-1].
Skills: Area Knowledge (New York City) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Artist (Drawing) (H) IQ-2 [1] – 10; Carousing (E) HT+2 [4] – 12; Current Affairs/TL8 (New York City) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Detect Lies (H) IQ+1 [1] – 13*; Fast-Talk (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Lip Reading (A) Per+0 [2] – 12; Observation (A) Per+2 [8] – 14; Professional Skill (Journalist) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Research/TL8 (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Streetwise (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Typing (E) DX+1 [2] – 11; Writing (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12.
Starting Spending Money: $4,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +3 from Empathy.

Not a bad start for an investigative journalist. He's no Spider Jerusalem, but then who is?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #470
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime
Does High Tech have anything on nukes?
It does, on pp195-196. Nuclear explosions generally follow the same rules as other explosions, but get linked burn explosion, radiation and surge effects in addition to the basic crushing explosion. The damage will naturally extend over a wide area due to the large amount of dice used to represent the attack.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men