Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #321
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Thoughts about how I statted the glider?
I only glanced at it on the first read… I don’t have a quick grasp of stat lines for vehicles.

Did you base it on the Hover Platforms from Ultra-Tech? A few things kind of stand out:
  1. The ST/HP seems very robust for its size.
  2. The Handling rating looks a little high, though that’s just a subjective opinion, of course. I’d think that it would be better represented by just a high Piloting skill for GG, perhaps with a bonus from his other gear.
  3. Move doesn’t match the speed listed in the text. 100mph should be ~ Move 50.
  4. The Cost seems like it should be higher, since the Glider represents an advancement over RW TL8 personal transportation.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #322
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I only glanced at it on the first read… I don’t have a quick grasp of stat lines for vehicles.

Did you base it on the Hover Platforms from Ultra-Tech? A few things kind of stand out:
  1. The ST/HP seems very robust for its size.
  2. The Handling rating looks a little high, though that’s just a subjective opinion, of course. I’d think that it would be better represented by just a high Piloting skill for GG, perhaps with a bonus from his other gear.
  3. Move doesn’t match the speed listed in the text. 100mph should be ~ Move 50.
  4. The Cost seems like it should be higher, since the Glider represents an advancement over RW TL8 personal transportation.
Actually, I wasn't looking at Ultra-Tech for the glider; just the Basic Set.

The ST/HP I'd based off a sport motorcycle, figuring that the glider would have the same weight/mass.

Oops on the Move. ;) Fixed.

And yes, the cost probably should be higher. What's a good multiplier for the limited production/prototype cost?

And yeah, the Handling may be off, but one thing I noticed was that the more maneuverable craft have higher Hnd with lower SRs.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #323
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
And yes, the cost probably should be higher. What's a good multiplier for the limited production/prototype cost?
Oy… I’m not the best person to ask a question like that :/ I’m more inclined to do such figuring by the seat of my pants. OTTOMH, I’d say a limited production cost should be more than an order of magnitude higher (probably 20-30 times higher), and prototype cost would be 5X that, using the assumption that only parts would be required after the prototype was made.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #324
Phantasm

Two more that I've kit-bashed together.

ANDROMEDA

Legal Status: Citizen of Atlantis with no criminal record.
Identity: Andromeda uses no dual identity.
Other Aliases: Lady Andromeda, "Andi", "Rommey."
Place of Birth: Atlantis.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: Attuma (father), Lady Gelva (mother).
Group Affiliation: Atlantean Royal Guard.
Base of Operations: Atlantis.
History: Andromeda is the illegitimate daughter of the barbarian Atlantean warlord Attuma and the refined Lady Gelva, who had once been the barbarian's captive briefly some decades ago before being rescued by King Namor, better known on the surface as the Sub-Mariner (see Atlanteans; Attuma; Sub-Mariner). As Attuma's daughter, she was born with a portion of his enhanced strength. For years, however, Lady Gelva kept the fact that Attuma was Andromeda's father from her, stating that Andromeda's father died years ago.

A woman of action and far stronger than her male counterparts, Andromeda entered the Atlantean military, and distinguished herself in many battles against her father's forces. This has brought her to the attention of King Namor, who inducted her as the only female member of the Atlantean Royal Guard.

Recent events, however, have revealed Andromeda's true parentage to both herself and her father. Attuma has since tried to kill her, without success. Andromeda is currently seeking to keep her heritage from Namor and the rest of the Royal Guard
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 180 lbs.
Eyes: Green.
Hair: Auburn.
Skin: Blue.
Strength Level: Andromeda possesses superhuman strength, enabling her to lift (press) around 14 tons.
Known Superhuman Powers: In addition to her superhuman strength, which is a mutation inherited from her father, Andromeda possesses the normal attributes of a member of the offshoot human subspecies known as Homo sapiens mermanus, better known on the surface world as Atlanteans. She is able to breathe underwater indefinitely, although she is unable to live on the surface for more than ten minutes before suffocating to death.
Other Abilities: Andromeda is a highly skilled warrior who has been trained since birth in Atlantean martial arts, both armed and unarmed.
Weapons: Andromeda wields a bronze-headed spear of Phoenician design that has been passed down through her mother's family for millennia.

940 points
Attributes:
ST 31/170 [0*†]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 13 [10†].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 3d+1/6d-1 (18d/20d); BL 192 (5780) lbs; HP 31/170 [0]; Will 13 [10]; Per 14 [15]; FP 18 [15]; Basic Speed 6.50 [0]; Basic Ground Move 6 [0]; Basic Water Move 6 [0]; Water Move 18 (36 mph); Dodge 10.
Languages: Atlantean (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Atlantis (Native) [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Beautiful) [12]; Atlantean [135]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Enhanced Move (Water) 1.5 (Water Move 18) [30]; [Hard to Kill 3 [6]; Hard to Subdue 3 [6]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction, /4) (Passive Biological, -5%) [95]; Status 3 [15]; Super ST +11/+150 (Super, -10%) [429]; Weapon Master: Spear [20].
Perks: Grip Mastery (Spear) [1]; Power Grappling [1]; Reach Mastery (Spear) [1]; Schtick: Weapon Twirl [1]; Weapon Adaptation (Spear to Staff) [1]; Weapon Bond (Spear) [1].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Soldier's) [-10]; Duty to Atlantis (15) [-15]; Enemy: Attuma (More Powerful Individual; Hunter) (9) [-20]; Impulsiveness (12) [-10]; Intolerance (Atlantean Barbarians) [-5]; On The Edge (12) [-15]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Secret (Daughter of Attuma) (Utter Rejection) [-10]; Sense of Duty to Namor [-2]; Social Stigma (Minority Group) [-10].
Quirks: Horrible Hangovers [-1]; Proud [-1]; Unrequited Love for Namor [-1].
Skills: Animal Handling (Giant Sea Horses) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Area Knowledge (North Atlantic) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Camouflage (E) IQ+1 [1] – 12‡; First Aid/TL1 (Atlantean) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 11; Judo (H) DX+3 [16] – 16; Karate (H) DX+3 [16] – 16; Leadership (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Power Blow (H) Will+2 [12] – 15; Riding (Giant Sea Horses) (A) DX+1 [4] – 14; Soldier/TL1 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Spear (A) DX+3 [12] – 16; Staff (A) DX+3 [8] – 16#; Survival (Open Ocean) (A) Per+0 [2] – 14; Swimming (E) HT+1 [2] – 14; Tactics (H) IQ+2 [12] – 13; Thrown Weapon (Spear) (E) DX+2 [4] – 15.
Techniques: Arm Lock (Judo) (A) def+4 [4] – 20; Armed Grapple (Spear) (H) def+2 [3] – 16; Cavalry Training (Spear) (H) def+2 [3] – 16; Combat Riding (Riding (Giant Sea Horses)) (H) def+4 [5] – 18; Counterattack (Spear) (H) def+5 [6] – 16; Disarming (Judo) (H) def+5 [6] – 21; Disarming (Spear) (H) def+5 [6] – 21; Evade (Judo) (A) def+5 [5] – 21; Kicking (Karate) (H) def+2 [3] – 16; Sweep (Spear) (H) def+3 [4] – 16.
Starting Spending Money: $3,880 (20% of Starting Wealth, minus cost of spear)

* Includes +11/+150 from Super ST
† Includes +10 to ST and +2 to HT from Atlantean.
‡ Defaulted from Survival (Open Ocean)
# Defaulted from Spear

Role-Playing Notes:
Andromeda is a woman isolated and alone in the crowd. She's stronger than all but one of the males around her in a male-oriented position, with a father she never knew 'till recently trying to kill her, and the only people she can relate to – Namor and Namora – are several social levels above her. Because she's a woman in a man's field, she feels she has to try three times as hard to be considered half as good when the truth is the men around her are intimidated by her. This leads her to taking chances others would consider suicidal.

Note: Andi's spear is a Fine-Quality spear made of bronze, and is priced according to the Atlanteans' native TL 0+1, not the overall TL 8 of Marvel Earth.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.

Last edited by Phantasm; 10-25-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #325
Phantasm

And Spidey's biggest nemesis:

JAMESON, J. JONAH

Real Name: J. Jonah Jameson. (It is believed that the first initial stands for "John", but nothing has been confirmed.)
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.
Identity: Jameson does not use a dual identity.
Other Aliases: "Jolly" Jonah Jameson (a nickname used by Spider-Man).
Place of Birth: New York City
Marital Status: Widower.
Known Relatives: Joan (wife, deceased), John (son).
Group Affiliation: Publisher and owner of the Daily Bugle.
Base of Operations: New York City.
History: J. Jonah Jameson began working for the Daily Bugle as a reporter while still in high school. Over the years, he worked his way up through the ranks to become its city editor. In 1986, the paper fell on hard times. At the same time Jameson came into a sizable inheritance, which he used to purchase the newspaper company outright. Today, the Daily Bugle is unique among the newspapers in that it is owned directly by the Jameson family, and not a corporation.

Jameson has been very outspoken in his editorials against the recent influx of costumed crimefighters, and against Spider-Man in particular (see Spider-Man). An avid civil rights activist, Jameson harbors no prejudices against superhumans, and in fact he has written several editorials in favor of mutant equality; his criticisms of Spider-Man stem from the web-slinger's crimefighting actions, which Jameson views as vigilantism.

Despite his stance against vigilantism, Jameson is responsible for hiring private detective Mac Gargan to find and unmask Spider-Man. Gargan proved unstable, and underwent a procedure which turned him into the criminal Scorpion (see Scorpion).
Height: 5' 11".
Weight: 210 lbs.
Eyes: Blue.
Hair: Grey, formerly brown.
Strength Level: J. Jonah Jameson possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in moderate exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: None.

141 points
Attributes:
ST 10 [0]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs.; HP 12 [4]; Will 13 [5]; Per 12 [0]; FP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 5.5 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0].
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western (Native) [0].
Advantages: Administrative Rank (Newspaper) 5 [25]; Hard to Kill 3 [6]; Longevity [2]; Reputation (Honest Newspaper Publisher) (All the time; Large Class of People: Everyone In NYC) [7]; Single-Minded [5]; Status 3 [0*]; Tenure [5]; Wealth (Very Wealthy) [30].
Disadvantages: Bad Sight (Nearsighted) (Mitigator: Glasses, -60%) [-10]; Bad Temper (12) [-10]; Code of Honor (Professional) [-5]; Intolerance (Costumed Crimefighters) [-5]; Obsession (Expose and Unmask Spider-Man) (12) [-5]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Employees) [-5]; Stubbornness [-5].
Quirks: Dislikes Spider-Man For Being the Self-Sacrificing Hero He Himself Is Not [-1]; Prefers Cuban Cigars [-1]; Proud [-1]; Skinflint [-1]; Uncongenial [-1].
Skills: Administration (A) IQ+0 [2] -12; Area Knowledge (New York City) (E) UQ+0 [1] – 12; Body Language (A) Per+2 [8] – 14; Boxing Sport (A) DX+0 [2] – 10; Connoisseur (Cigars) (A) IQ+2 [8] – 14; Current Affairs/TL8 (Regional: New York City) (E) IQ+2 [4] – 14; Fast-Talk (A) IQ+1 [4] – 13; Intimidation (A) Will+2 [8] – 15; Professional Skill (Journalist) (A) IQ+2 [8] – 14; Research/TL8 (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Writing (A) IQ+1 [4] – 13.
Starting Spending Money: $80,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +2 from Rank and +1 from Wealth.

Last edited by Phantasm; 07-21-2009 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Added Ads, Disads, and Quirks. Recalculated skills.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #326
Hannes665

I would add to J.J.Jameson Workaholic -5 and even raise is Wealth by one level. Aslo does he not have contacts and reputation as a "honest" newspaper man. Also he seems to be some what bad tempered and very shy on spending his money.

Then there is the question about his son? Should he be in there as a dependant or?

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #327
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes665 View Post
I would add to J.J.Jameson Workaholic -5 and even raise is Wealth by one level. Aslo does he not have contacts and reputation as a "honest" newspaper man. Also he seems to be some what bad tempered and very shy on spending his money.

Then there is the question about his son? Should he be in there as a dependant or?
You're right about the contacts and reputation. And I thought about his spendthrift ways, but couldn't think of a suitable disad for that; maybe a quirk. You could be right about the bad temper. (It's actually been years since I read a Spider-Man title... not since the mid-90s.) Those might be enough to raise J.J. to a 150-point value. Not sure about the wealth, though you could be right. J.J. would probably be suitable as a Patron in a game.

As for his son, he's an adventurous astronaut who might be suitable as a PC in a game, so I don't think Dependent would fit (unless it's on a 6 for the frequency roll). Not many folks that I can think of try to get to J.J. through his son.

Edit: Made changes to Jameson's entry reflecting most of the above.

Last edited by Phantasm; 07-21-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #328
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Two more that I've kit-bashed together.

ANDROMEDA

Advantages: Atlantean [160]

Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Soldier's) [-10]; Duty to Atlantis (15) [-15]; Enemy: Attuma (More Powerful Individual; Hunter) (9) [-20]; Impulsiveness (12) [-10]; Intolerance (Atlantean Barbarians) [-5]; On The Edge (12) [-15]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Secret (Daughter of Attuma) (Utter Rejection) [-10]; Sense of Duty to Namor [-2]; Social Stigma (Minority Group) [-10].
Whoa... I've been overlooking these new entries for the past few days :(

The Atlantean package price is different from the one you have at the beginning of the thread. Is this a refinement or just a typo? The disadvantages: Sure are a lot of 'em... Do you mean to portray her as so afflicted? The Social Stigma isn't clear to me. Is it being a woman in a man's profession, or something else? The rest of the write-up looks good, though the skills and techniques sections are a bit busy for my taste <just a nitpick *g*>

Last edited by Not another shrubbery; 07-24-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #329
Phantasm

Quote:
Whoa... I've been overlooking these new entries for the past few days :(

The Atlantean package price is different from the one you have at the beginning of the thread. Is this a refinement or just a typo?
It's a refinement; I haven't yet updated the one at the beginning of the thread. I lowered the overall ST from 23 to 20, and I think I made one other change (can't remember). Remind me to update the packages again at some point....

Quote:
The disadvantages: Sure are a lot of 'em... Do you mean to portray her as so afflicted? The Social Stigma isn't clear to me. Is it being a woman in a man's profession, or something else? The rest of the write-up looks good, though the skills and techniques sections are a bit busy for my taste <just a nitpick *g*>
Her Social Stigma is not just being a woman in a man's profession, but being a woman in an effective TL1 society (Atlantis) in said profession.

As for her other disads... you'll notice at least three of them not the Stigma are Social disads as well: Her Duty, and the father she's trying to deny being related to (Secret) is trying to kill her (Enemy)! She's got enough external pressure from those that she's overcompensating by being reckless (Impulsive; On the Edge). Chances are, if some of her socials were to be removed, she'd buy them off.

So yeah, she kinda is meant to be so afflicted.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #330
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
It's a refinement; I haven't yet updated the one at the beginning of the thread. I lowered the overall ST from 23 to 20, and I think I made one other change (can't remember). Remind me to update the packages again at some point....
OK... It's been a few days... Don't forget! :)
Quote:
JAMESON, J. JONAH
A very nice write-up, IMO. Dunno how you had his Wealth level before Hannes' post, but I don't think you should go higher than Very Wealthy.

Last edited by Not another shrubbery; 08-06-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: remove [/quote] tag

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men