Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #11
Stabliser

Default Re: New picture from $4.5k sheet #3 - Barbarians at the Gate

BGG have a blue and orange ogre and a big lizard which would likely be on its own team (unless its a Chinese ogre with lots of squishy humans inside peddling hard :) )
So 1 or 2 more sides - is that 14 now?

6 round a table would seem like enough people to me...

Stabliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
Talorien
Former Ogre Line Editor

Nice work, wolf90 and Firehorse!
Talorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Indestructible

Shiny, shiny new pics!

:D
Indestructible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabliser View Post
6 round a table would seem like enough people to me...
I guess it depends on how many extra sheets you buy. Using just the KS set without ANY additional sheets, you can have three full armies going at it (Combine, PE and Mercs...or red, blue and green). Run the Ogres separate from the conventional units and you have six players right there. No need for additional sheets!

BUT...

If you're so inclined as to purchase more sheets, my sheet gives you the conventional units for two+ armies (the pink GEVs are just that.....GEVs only). Add the Uncommon Ogres sheet and you now add 3-D Ogres for both the Vatican Guard and the Sons of Old Nassau mercenary regiment (or in other words, purple and orange-striped). There's 5 full armies right there, putting you in your wheelhouse of ~6 players (the sixth can play with the pink GEVs!).

This isn't even mentioning the other various 3-D Ogres (black, grey, etc), the maroon Nihon units, etc. Personally, I see the point of these sheets as giving you options, as to how and what you want to play. You don't have to play all of the various factions at once! (Although I am working on a scenario that has 5-6 armies on the map at one time!).

I agree that 6 seems to be the upper limit of reasonable number of players...but I could be wrong!

D.

(Interestingly, there does not seem to be any primarily yellow forces. I guess the implication of the color precludes that!)
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Personally, I see the point of these sheets as giving you options, as to how and what you want to play. You don't have to play all of the various factions at once!
Buzzactly. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
I am working on a scenario that has 5-6 armies on the map at one time!
I like the idea of a Battle of Five Armies (as in The Hobbit) scenario for Ogre.

It could also be interesting if the pink GEV force can compensate for their lack of heavier units by being able to switch sides at some point, giving them a good shot of playing king maker for the game. That'd be especially interesting in a refereed game (perhaps at a convention as part of a demonstration), wherein the referee tells the pink GEV player about their new objective, and none of the players knew it was coming. That'd sure trigger a madcap scramble. Just a thought. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
ACS

I am very excited about this set; thank you for doing the work (and fronting the $$$) to make it happen. When pre-orders become available, will you post the counter mix on each sheet?
ACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS View Post
I am very excited about this set; thank you for doing the work (and fronting the $$$) to make it happen. When pre-orders become available, will you post the counter mix on each sheet?
Yes.

I actually anticipate doing that soon. Stay tuned!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
Buzzactly. :)

I like the idea of a Battle of Five Armies (as in The Hobbit) scenario for Ogre.
I discovered an unexpected difficulty of designing a scenario this large...play-testing it is challenging simply due to its size! Working my way through it....

The base scenario has 5 armies (with one variant including Ogres), and additional variants allow for 1 or 2 additional forces. It's played out across all four maps...

Another more interesting discovery is when you're dealing with a scenario of this size, many variants present themselves. I'm trying to focus on the more interesting ideas I've had...

Plan on spending at least a few hours playing it!

D.