Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 04-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #91
ammulder

Default Re: Combat Garage Update

The site is now working "more" (you should be able to log in and list your designs, for instance), but the PDF part is still broken. Historically that's been the most sensitive to the specific library versions and etc., so it may take a bit to get it working again.
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #92
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
The site is now working "more" (you should be able to log in and list your designs, for instance), but the PDF part is still broken. Historically that's been the most sensitive to the specific library versions and etc., so it may take a bit to get it working again.
Nice one ! I can't use PDFs on my phone , so it doesn't affect me . Glad you've got it up & running again , and sure you'll fix the remaining problems soon .
Old 05-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #93
Bourgeois Stalker

A quick bug report: fake weapons don't work. At least the fake ATG I tried to add still took up 3 spaces etc. Plus, I'm sure you're aware that the tags are acting strangely in the stock cars.

Otherwise, as usual, you're awesome and I can't thank you enough for this amazing resource.
Bourgeois Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #94
Racer

Not sure if it's workable , but could Off Road HC be included in the stats ? It's a small thing , but it caused confusion in a recent game .
Old 07-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #95
Racer

Can I ask how vehicles are actually chosen for the stock list ? A number of very poorly designed ( and repetitive ) , badly rated ones make the cut . However a number of well made and even revolutionary designs don't make it - not just mine or my friends - and we scratch our heads wondering why ? Too good ? Unbalance Arena combats ? My Crumper , Kombat Pete's Bolo Mid and Lightbulb's tire killing Sedan ( name escapes me ) are all innovative and very deadly in their own niches & earned much praise from other players . None of those design versions I've posted have been listed . Yet many 'Div 5 Subs with RL' make the list ?
It's not a major problem , as those in the know can do name searches . BUT many others will never see them .
* shrugs *
Old 07-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #96
ammulder

There are volunteer moderators who review stock car submissions. The idea is that duplicate designs are filtered out, as well as obvious incorrect ones (people who don't really know the game just fooling around with the app, or whatever).

You can point out duplicates that slipped past, or lobby for a design to be revisited, or whatever, but please remember that everyone involved is volunteering.
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #97
Racer

Fair enough and thank you for explaining .

Can I ask for my Outhauler Mk III 40' Dumper Trailer be reviewed please ? There is only a single Dumper Trailer on the list ( and that has only dropped weapons ) and I've been asked a number of times for the stats or a link to them . I'll go down a list when I have a look at my emails - some vehicles have been evolved over 25+ years & many serious combats or playtests . My Smasher '65 is a good example of this & earned Four Stars .

I do understand the voluntary nature of the moderators , but in turn you can understand our frustration as a generic or bizarre 1 or 1½ Star designs make the Stock List ? No-one with experience would likely to ever use them in a game ...

It's also a good idea to run thought exercises or experiments ( like Einstein did ) when thinking up new designs : vehicle role , advantages , disadvantages , effectiveness in it's price range , would another vehicle type be better etc , etc . Okay I know not everyone can do this , and many go by 'gut feeling' or 'this looks great' design strategies - it just makes picking survivable vehicles off the list easier . Nothing puts newer players off playing more games if they are taken out in two shots or have to surrender as they're on fire with no means of extinguishing it ...
Old 07-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #98
Bourgeois Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
It's also a good idea to run thought exercises or experiments ( like Einstein did ) when thinking up new designs
And then Racer can give you a single star for some detail he doesn't like, thus dragging your rating down and discouraging you from submitting your design to the stock vehicle list.
Bourgeois Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:09 AM   #99
Racer

It's not personal , sorry . Unfortunately the way the Star system works , a number of very poor designs have been given a total rating which is unjustifiably high . Thus newer/younger players see 4 or 5 stars and think "oh I'm onto a winner here" & get ripped to pieces in the Arena or on the Road . THIS puts them off playing big time & we need new blood as older players stop playing or pass on . Rating some that I would give 2 or 3 stars down to 1 or 2 to bring overall rating down so newbies don't see them as 4* , 4½* or 5* 'wondermobiles' & get extremely disappointed when they aren't . Often one or two minor changes will vastly improve a vehicles effectiveness/survivability , but others are disadvantaged from the start by the rules .

Some aspects of the game rules really need looking at & to be updated : Lt & Med Cycles , Subcompacts , 10 Wheel Trucks , some stuff on big rigs etc ; as they just aren't efficient anymore .
With better tech and updated construction ideas , some vehicle types aren't really worth using at present .

I use the same title here and on Combat Garage as I dislike using anonymity to hide behind and prefer open discussions . I also welcome any feedback & message queries - feel free to PM me .
Due to various problems & having a lot of time on my hands ( I'm partly disabled & under health + safety rules it's almost impossible for me to work in the UK ) , having had spent decades designing untold vehicles and coming up with new rules etc .
I'm also a little awkward & often have to suppress my inner 'Sheldon Cooper' so I don't come across as too overbearing or obnoxious . Due to my upbringing and bringing ruthlessly bullied , I hate to offend anybody ( unless they cross the line & most would say they deserve it ) - if my ratings do this this , I am truly sorry . BUT I try to look at the bigger picture and try to improve the game as a whole . It IS a GAME after all , and while passionate I refrain from personal attacks , flaming or trolling , as it just isn't in me - plus I've been on receiving end myself & it isn't nice .
I can be sarcastic when leaving comments on designs , but blame British comedies for that - particularly BlackAdder ! - and there's zero venom behind them .
I do wish I could play/meet more players from North America & have long chats about CWs etc , to discuss all aspects of the game . If the game is still to be played into the mid 21st Century , new ideas need to embraced : an online 'living rulebook' would be nice for a start .
Old 07-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #100
juris

Lol - this.

Seriously though Racer a lot of your designs get published because you are a good designer, and I think a good person who loves CW.

However, re-re-re submitting the same rejected design (most likely because it's a duplicate of an existing stock vehicle design), or making a minor tweak to a design already published (when you can just edit the flavor text in the existing design and list it as an 'option') are sure-fire guaranteed ways to get rejected. Also, flavor text calling out other designers or making fun of other people's designs is not ok.

It IS ok to criticize terrible designs in the design description. I do this for new designers especially and try to give constructive criticism because I want to encourage them. That's why there's a lot of 1-2 star designs. Also, there are several people who approve designs and they have different standards (as AM stated).

I AM totally all for paring down the stock vehicle list. AM, give me the power of Greyskull!!! (AM and I have been over this and I won't speak for him).

And yeah, way too many BS one-star reviews do not help your cause ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourgeois Stalker View Post
And then Racer can give you a single star for some detail he doesn't like, thus dragging your rating down and discouraging you from submitting your design to the stock vehicle list.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote