Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2019, 05:17 AM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Very minor question: How are knives classified for the purpose of pricing?

On B274, the pricing for fine-quality weapons prior to TL7 are described thusly:

Fencing- or sword-class weapons cost 4x normal.
Crushing and impaling weapons cost 3x normal.
Cutting weapons cost 10x normal.

So where do knives (and to a lesser extent daggers) fit in? Intuitively, they don't seem like "sword-class" weapons. But they can deal both cutting and impaling damage, so I'm not sure where to fit them otherwise. Is this specifically addressed somewhere?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:52 AM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Very minor question: How are knives classified for the purpose of pricing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
On B274, the pricing for fine-quality weapons prior to TL7 are described thusly:

Fencing- or sword-class weapons cost 4x normal.
Crushing and impaling weapons cost 3x normal.
Cutting weapons cost 10x normal.

So where do knives (and to a lesser extent daggers) fit in? Intuitively, they don't seem like "sword-class" weapons. But they can deal both cutting and impaling damage, so I'm not sure where to fit them otherwise. Is this specifically addressed somewhere?
I've always put them in the 'impaling' camp, though I could see arguments for them being in the 'sword' camp.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:54 AM   #3
cdru

Default Re: Very minor question: How are knives classified for the purpose of pricing?

If i remember correctly, knives are considered swords for this sort of thing
cdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:54 AM   #4
Bruno

They're sword-class weapons. The transition between "knife" and "sword" is arbitrary and vague in real life, as is the transition between the different knife sizes. That many knives are single edged is immaterial, as many swords are single edged (and some fencing weapons have no significant edges at all).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
martinl

Knives are "swords" in those rules, and since knives are so cheap it is often smart to buy fine or very fine knives, even if you aren't loaded.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote