Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2016, 06:15 AM   #21
Celti

Default Re: [Magic] The weakest golems - The worst of ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Kind of like the Imp-tech in Discworld, but generally less funny, and possibly taken further. Imagine a TL2^ Information Age.
A TL2^ Information Age is a fascinating idea, but computers alone won't bring it about, unfortunately. The Information Age wouldn't have happened if computers were invented before the telephone network — you need a way for your golemputers to instantly communicate with one another.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #22
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
A TL2^ Information Age is a fascinating idea, but computers alone won't bring it about, unfortunately. The Information Age wouldn't have happened if computers were invented before the telephone network — you need a way for your golemputers to instantly communicate with one another.
Some new spell or spells from the Communication and Empathy or Knowledge colleges works for this (if we're talking about standard GURPS magic; something similar should be possible for other magic systems, as well). The golemnet would likely evolve much like ours did, starting with local area networks (to get teams of thinker-golems working together on a problem), then a couple of wizards trying to link their thinkers or thinker-groups at a longer range, then groups of networks, and finally a web covering the whole (civilized, or perhaps just magic-using) world.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:52 AM   #23
The Colonel

I have wondered if golem programming might not have quite a lot in common with coding for computers - certainly in the right kind of setting, with golems run by a sort of magical AI, and proceduralised magic, there should be an established theory of programming them whilst avoiding the sort of logic conflicts that make them become rampageous.

Of course, if you go with the "golem operated by bound spirit" or (China Miellville style) "spontaneous and temporary golems as an extension of the creator's will" ... let alone "historical" theurgic golems ... things may be different.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #24
Racer

A Tech Level 2 or 3 Imp driven Personal Organiser or Personal Trainer in Medieval ( if this is an Information Age , MediaEval ) London could be hilarious , helpful or inconvenient .

An Imp Food Taster for the Royalty could have easily have changed history : Sickly Charles IX of France life saved by his Medical Imp going onto to leave a strong Dynasty of descendants for example .
Old 07-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #25
Racer

A Tech Level 2 or 3 Imp driven Personal Organiser or Personal Trainer in Medieval ( if this is an Information Age , MediaEval ) London could be hilarious , helpful or inconvenient .

An Imp Food Taster for the Royalty could have easily have changed history : Sickly Charles IX of France life saved by his Medical Imp going onto to leave a strong Dynasty of descendants for example .
Old 07-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #26
The Colonel

Wasn't being a supernatural PA, life coach and advisor* traditionally the job description of a familiar?

*albeit a giver of very bad advice... and noting that the familiar didn't actually work for you but for your patron...
Old 07-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #27
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
I'm sorry, the crystal ball you have dialed is no longer in service or disconnected. Please despell and cast again.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #28
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Wasn't being a supernatural PA, life coach and advisor* traditionally the job description of a familiar?

*albeit a giver of very bad advice... and noting that the familiar didn't actually work for you but for your patron...
I imagine you might be referencing demonic/angelic/etc. familiars, but all I could think of was this:

"Your work rival took claim of your success again? Scratch his face, pee on his stuff, and leave a pile of feces on his desk." - Cat familiar
Old 07-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #29
dcarson

Quote:
Semaphore. If they don't have to look totally human you can build it in for LAN traffic Little golems with abacuses and flags on their heads wig wagging sub totals back and forth across the office. With one off at the end with freestanding flags and ropes and levers to control flags in other rooms for the inter office traffic.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:56 AM   #30
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I imagine you might be referencing demonic/angelic/etc. familiars,
... that's what a familiar was, traditionally. It was a demonic spirit, either manifested as or infesting* an animal and serving as an intermediary between a witch and their patron. The full title is "familiar spirit". There was some tradition of allegedly non-demonic familiars (sometimes said to be fae) serving cunning-folk ... but that may be more cunning PR than reality.

*Not possessing - you need a soul to be possessed.

Tags
golem, magic