Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-06-2005, 04:05 AM   #1
Glamourweaver

Default Hindu Pantheon

How potent do you imagine/portray the Hindu Pantheon as being in the world of In Nomine? For the most part I realize its just a judgment call on how potent or weak one is willing to portray Ethereals, but the Hindu Pantheon is a bit different a case from the Olympians, Aesir, etc. Faith in them dominates an entire subcontinent. Faith in them constitutes the world's third largest religion. Shouldn't these be more major players?

I'm curious about Divine & Infernal activities in India (or Sri Lanka, Napal, etc.). In these regions at least do the Avatars of the Trimurti constitute a Third Side of the War, or even the position of Dominant Power, while Angels & Demons must playout their scwables beneath their perview. Or maybe Hinduism is close enough to the True Divine Essence (as all beings in the Pantheon eminate through chains of Avatars from the Brahman, which can be equated with God) that they are in fact allies or agents of Heaven in these regions, fighting off Demons on their own terms with occasional angelic back up. Maybe it wasn't out of fear that Uriel avoided them, but rather that he saw them as "Pure" & "True".

Your thoughts?
Glamourweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 07:15 AM   #2
milliken

Default Re: Hindu Pantheon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamourweaver
Or maybe Hinduism is close enough to the True Divine Essence (as all beings in the Pantheon eminate through chains of Avatars from the Brahman, which can be equated with God) that they are in fact allies or agents of Heaven in these regions, fighting off Demons on their own terms with occasional angelic back up. Maybe it wasn't out of fear that Uriel avoided them, but rather that he saw them as "Pure" & "True".
I don't recall all the details, but the canon view of Hinduism is fairly close to this. I believe it's considered a "divine" religion, not an ethereal one. There should be more detail in the GMG and possibly the EPG, though like the ethereal stuff, it's not really covered in the core rules.

---Walter
milliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamourweaver
How potent do you imagine/portray the Hindu Pantheon as being in the world of In Nomine? For the most part I realize its just a judgment call on how potent or weak one is willing to portray Ethereals, but the Hindu Pantheon is a bit different a case from the Olympians, Aesir, etc. Faith in them dominates an entire subcontinent. Faith in them constitutes the world's third largest religion. Shouldn't these be more major players?

Your thoughts?
If as the GMG and EPG tell us some ethereal gods are in the realm of minor superiors Vishnu and Shiva although possibly not Brahma (who is seldom worshipped) would be it.

Hinduism is also, according to canon, like voudoun semi-divine in that while it creates ethereals it also generates essence for heaven. because of this semi-divine nature it is likely that there are at least potential tethers for heaven and hell. Likely there are some somewhat uncomfortably held forked heaven/hindu tethers. Although it is likely that for the most part Laurence avoids India while more openminded and/or pragmatic Superiors such as Novalis and Michael are operative there. Kahlid is also probably operative given India's large Islamic population.

IMC Vishnu/Lakshmi and Shiva/Parvati are the most powerful ethereals bare none and it might go badly for even a major superior who fought them. (The major superior would probably win but would be quite weakened).
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:15 AM   #4
Glamourweaver

In my presentation of the setting I'm thinking that all 3 members of the Trimurti (Brahma, Vishnu, & Shiva) are as potent as Major Archangels or Demon Princes (I'm fond of powerful Ethereals in my games, at times to the point of making the War 3 sided).

The members of the Trimurti, & their spouses, & all their lower incarnations partake of the Divine Essence. They might even (as is theorized by some Angels of Creation & Dreams provided no Servitors of the Sword or Judgment are in hearing range) be Superiors from the Higher Heavens themselvs who came down into the Ethereal Plane doning Ethereal Vessels the same way that known Celestials don Corporeal ones. Their are Ethereals of Hindu Dreams that do not in anyway partake of the Divine Essence. These divide into 2 groups: those Nightmares like the Asura, the Daitya, Dannava, Rakshasa, etc. etc. who have allied with Beleth; and those gods who spring from Pre-Vedic belief structures. The latter group is led by Indra and have receded into the Deep Marches and can truly be said to be neutral in the War (while the Trimurti obviously sides with Heaven).

Indra considers the Trimurti to be usurpers who somehow tapped into a lesser version of the same powerful Thread as Yahweh. This isn't surprising since he used to be the head honcho of the Indian Pantheon. That said though, he recognizes their authority and at least pays them lipservice.

Edit: 2 more details I've just added...

- Krishna (Avatar of Vishnu/Lakshmi) holds the official position of Ambassador to the Host. All Archangels save for Dominic & Laurence recognize this position. Most only give it a nod because they need SOMEONE to act as a go between if they intend to work operations to defend & promote their Word upon the Asian Subcontinent. Blandine, Eli, & Yves are the only 3 Superiors to extend full diplomatic privelages & rights to Krishna (he has the right of Free Passage through Blandine's side of the Veil for example). He is one of 2 members of the Hindu Pantheon to ever be seen in Heaven. The other is Hanuman, who is known to show up unnanounced (though not completely unwelcome) in the Savannah.

- Some Angels (particularly those who are stationed upon the Asian Subcontient) have been known to profess a theory that the Dominic finds particularly Heretical, Litheroy finds provactive (though he doesn't suspect it to be true), & Yves finds... well he smiles when he hears it, whatever that means. The theory is that the 3 members of the Trimurti, rather than being "merely" potent Ethereals who partake of the Divine Essence because of the semi-divine nature of their worshippers' faith, are actually themselves Archangels from the Higher Heavens who have adopted Ethereal Vessels much in the same way that known Celestials adopt Corporeal Vessels. This theory might explain why Yves' relationship with the Trimurti is so close & cordial.

What do you think? Feed back greatly appreciated...

Last edited by Glamourweaver; 03-07-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:52 PM   #5
cappadocius

Definitely an interesting take; the Trimurti as "Ethereal Vessels" is canon-twisting enough to win approval from the IN gurus. :)

I've always played it such that Heaven acknowledges the Hindu pantheon exists, but ignores it as much as possible. It lets Heaven take their eyes off of at least one front in The War, without worrying about it being an exploitable weakness.

The unofficial ambassador idea is fairly close to the way I've worked it, although I went straight to Vishnu, rather than cope with avatars! I've never thought of unexpected Hindu visitors to Heaven, and I'm not sure how well that sits with me. It's still letting a member of a non-diplomatically recognized pantheon into the holiest of holies without direct supervision. It'll happen once or twice, and then you can bet they will close those security holes.

Of course, I was also going to run a game where Indra fell in love with Blandine, so what do I know?
cappadocius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:47 AM   #6
Glamourweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappadocius
I've never thought of unexpected Hindu visitors to Heaven, and I'm not sure how well that sits with me. It's still letting a member of a non-diplomatically recognized pantheon into the holiest of holies without direct supervision. It'll happen once or twice, and then you can bet they will close those security holes.
Its Hanuman though. Randomly showing up in places he's not expected is what he DOES. This is the guy who snuck in & out of Ravanna's stronghold in Lanka afterall.

I've worked out Superior-opinions for all the Archangels, and a handfull of the Demon Princes. If anyone's interested, I can post them here...
Old 03-09-2005, 04:19 AM   #7
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

well "Job: A comidy of Manners" gets intresting when a heavenly saint wan't to be with his Asgardian worshiping "wife" 8)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ethereals