Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2014, 05:19 AM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: "Recover Energy only works for fatigue spent on spells"

Who needs a couple of seconds to stand up? Not everyone is such a deep sleeper or has some blood pressure issue making it difficult to jump out of bed immediately upon waking.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:39 AM   #12
T.K.

Recover Energy is not cast in the normal sense. It's an "always on" effect...

As already stated, the rules clearly state when such differentiation is to be made, between fatigue spent in spellcasting and other stuff and "Recover Energy" is not such case.

And while I also don't see something in the rules that explicitly state on what order you regen, I'd say this is a case of "the simplest solution is the best": First Come First Goes!

When you have time and can rest, use the order of spent FP > FP regen, for example:

Mr A casts a spell and uses 3 FP at the start of a fight;
Mr A then finishes fighting for his life after a dozen seconds, which costs him 2 more FP;
Mr A then has to dismiss pursuers and decide to once again cast some spells, using 4 more FP.

When he finally can manage to settle down and recover his breath, I'd allow the regen of his lost FP to go in the order of:

3 FP first spent with spellcasting then 2 FP spent fighting then 4 FP spent casting.
If he stops resting at any point, he resumes the FP regen from where it stop
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #13
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Who needs a couple of seconds to stand up? Not everyone is such a deep sleeper or has some blood pressure issue making it difficult to jump out of bed immediately upon waking.
Most people DO need a few second when the wake up to get the bearing. it not a deep sleeper vs light sleeper issue either that more a level out side stimuli need to trigger waking up.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Most people DO need a few second when the wake up to get the bearing. it not a deep sleeper vs light sleeper issue either that more a level out side stimuli need to trigger waking up.
So is my instant wakefulness a rare perk? Though I have trouble imagining a deep sleeper able to jump out of bed immediately.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #15
The Benj

Quote:
So is my instant wakefulness a rare perk?
Yes, that's unusual.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #16
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Indeed. It's really more like an Advantage with Spell prereqs and a weirdly-scaling cost.
Recover Energy has been around a long time - it predates Extra Fatigue, Energy Reserves or any other method of changing your fatigue recovery rate. In fact I think it's the very first thing that altered the fatigue rules at all. It may even predate Rapid Healing. If GURPS were to be rebuilt with an eye to consistency and no concern for legacy stuff it would probably be tossed and replaced with a fatigue recovery advantage (or possibly with nothing at all, depending on how much its niche is considered to overlap with Energy Reserve.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #17
Edges

Quote:
Who needs a couple of seconds to stand up?
In GURPS, everyone needs a couple seconds to stand up w/o Acrobatic Stand or exotic advantages. Check out the Change Posture maneuver. I suspect that is what Kromm was referring to.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #18
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

See the Change Posture maneuver. If the GM starts combat time with you sleeping lying down, you'll need two turns to get to your feet unless you're an acrobat. This has nothing to do with the "waking up" part, though even if you have special perks and advantages, I'd say that's a mandatory turn of Do Nothing before you can stand – you may not be surprised and useless, but a major brain-state change isn't a free action in a system that makes you take a turn to zip your fly or flick a switch (Ready), or to read a sensor display (Concentrate).
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #19
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

It may have been an inverse assumption from the Fit Advantage which lets you recover fatigue more quickly, but excludes FP spent on spells, psionics, etc.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #20
Kalzazz

You might need one or more attempts to Break Free of your blankets grapple
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, recover energy