Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
DangerousThing

Default Re: Crowd funded magic?

I like the idea and think it would fit in some campaigns where magic essentially replaces or is in addition to modern technology.

I don't think it would work in my current campaign, but it might work in a different campaign.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
sonic232

I think it is one of those things that could be done mechanically, but is such a pain in the butt to do so that it should be left as a background detail.
sonic232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
The Benj

Trolling was exactly the issue I thought of. When each troll negates FIVE (non-mage) contributors, that's a big problem.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #14
Bramble Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Trolling was exactly the issue I thought of. When each troll negates FIVE (non-mage) contributors, that's a big problem.
Yes, but if this is a combo of Internet and Magic, then each connection could have its mana input analyzed by the servers. An analysis program would be able to tell if you were a legitimate user, or a script kiddie trying the magic equivalent of sql injection. So attempting to spoil the ceremony remotely gets the input rejected and if the crowd funded ceremony required verified account registration, you may face additional penalties because they know who you are to report you or fine you.

You might be able to still be a troll if the company hosting the Crowd funded ceremony is lazy and had not updated their Internet Security Anti-Enmity files with the latest updates. Otherwise you will need to have a Black Hat Demagogue whip up some custom cutting edge Enmity that uses a new emotional architecture currently undocumented by current security protections.
Bramble Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #15
dagothdoom

If tech and magic have evolved enough to make this possible, I imagine there would be less energy required, but not an increase in trolls, allowing you to have extra people to function as security to ensure you have enough energy for the ritual.
dagothdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Just use existing Crowndfunding with Sacrificial Magic. Get the money that people send you and just burn it. There's no risk of trolls there.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:54 AM   #17
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
On a critical success, we'll throw in a second hero, free! Now how much would you pray?

Supplies are limited; cast now.

Familiar spirits are standing by for your call.
If we get more than 8 128 energy points, we'll extend the spell from covering the continent to covering the whole world.

Last edited by Anders; 10-15-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #18
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
If we get more than 8 128 energy points, we'll extend the spell from covering the continent to covering the whole world.
And now I'm reminded of Gaiman's We can get them for you wholesale
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, magic