Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
MKMcArtor

Default Pricing an ability

So I'm thinking about a group of creatures in the campaign setting I'm working on that have a weird sort of power, and since I'm trying to get into GURPSThink I'm trying to figure out how to price it.

The power basically allows the creatures to hide in the open, to fade from consciousness and memory of those around them. As long as the creature does nothing to draw attention to itself (attacking is the obvious attention-getter) nobody pays attention to it. At all. And never mind the fact that it obviously isn't human. And even if it does draw attention to itself, people don't really remember it and a few seconds after it stops drawing attention it fades back into obscurity.

So, for example, one of these creatures could go to a party (extreme example) and mingle in the center of the room and nobody would try to approach it to talk to it or even acknowledge its existence (I guess unless it put a lampshade on its head and danced around, but that would be silly). As another example, even if the creature did go on a killing rampage, eyewitness reports would be contradictory at best, but most would just be "I didn't get a good look at the guy doing the killing." Even if one of these creatures is recorded on camera in the middle of a killing spree, the people viewing the film would only be able to focus their attention on the creature for a split second, and then they wouldn't be able to later pick it out of a lineup or give a good description. Maybe there would be a lens flare or other technical goof covering the creature? Dunno.

I was thinking this power is a form of Invisibility with some Cosmic thrown on to make it always work and because, well, it affects every possible sense. Something like:

Invisibility [40]
Cosmic [+300%]
Can't turn off [-10%]
Total: 156 points

Does that sound at all reasonable? Or if there is something like this already in Powers (which is next on my To Buy list), well, I guess let me know that instead. ;)

Thanks!!
MKMcArtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
lexington

Default Re: Pricing an ability

Invisibility doesn't require Always On, that's the default, I'm also pretty sure that even adding Cosmic 300% doesn't let it effect things other than vision. You're probably going to end up with a variety of traits.

The other way to do this is Affliction (Area Of Effect, Delusion (There's Nothing There)), though I'm not sure that's quite legal. Also keep in mind that people could potentially see through that version.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKMcArtor View Post
As long as the creature does nothing to draw attention to itself (attacking is the obvious attention-getter) nobody pays attention to it. At all. And never mind the fact that it obviously isn't human. And even if it does draw attention to itself, people don't really remember it and a few seconds after it stops drawing attention it fades back into obscurity.
This should be an additional limitation, though I'm not sure what I'd base it on. It stops working when the creature does something to draw attention to itself and doesn't start working again until it stops. And you might want to better define what qualifies as drawing attention. Let's say I notice the creature during a "visible" period and hit it with a flamethrower. Even if it stands perfectly still thereafter, being on fire arguably draws attention all by itself.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKMcArtor
Invisibility [40]
Cosmic [+300%]
Can't turn off [-10%]
Total: 156 points

Does that sound at all reasonable? Or if there is something like this already in Powers (which is next on my To Buy list), well, I guess let me know that instead.
Powers suggests +100% for Invisibility versus any sense it could reasonably affect. Note, though, that this presupposes vision-based senses. For other types, you'll probably need to fold in Obscure.

You might be interested in some older threads touching on related builds, like Telepathic Invisibility.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
MKMcArtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Powers suggests +100% for Invisibility versus any sense it could reasonably affect. Note, though, that this presupposes vision-based senses. For other types, you'll probably need to fold in Obscure.

You might be interested in some older threads touching on related builds, like Telepathic Invisibility.
Ah, those other threads are perfect.

Thanks for the help everyone!! :)
Old 03-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
Antiquation!

This thread evokes memories of Blood: The Last Vampire.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
MKMcArtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquation! View Post
This thread evokes memories of Blood: The Last Vampire.
Ah man, now I want to see that again. LOL
Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKMcArtor View Post
So, for example, one of these creatures could go to a party (extreme example) and mingle in the center of the room and nobody would try to approach it to talk to it or even acknowledge its existence (I guess unless it put a lampshade on its head and danced around, but that would be silly). As another example, even if the creature did go on a killing rampage, eyewitness reports would be contradictory at best, but most would just be "I didn't get a good look at the guy doing the killing." Even if one of these creatures is recorded on camera in the middle of a killing spree, the people viewing the film would only be able to focus their attention on the creature for a split second, and then they wouldn't be able to later pick it out of a lineup or give a good description. Maybe there would be a lens flare or other technical goof covering the creature? Dunno.
This sounds most like the Arcane trait from MAGE THE ASCENSION. The 3Rev GURPS adaptation pegged it at 10 points per -1 to sense rolls, Shadowing, etc.even mechanical ones.

For 4e, I'd recommend Invisibility and Silence with Glamour (POWERS, p.111) at -5% for Will -5 roll needed to perceive the creature, and then cosmetic shapeshifting or Illusion (POWERS, p.94) with Initiative +!00% under that, so that when they do see you, they see something utterly normal and are likely to dismiss it. For avoiding permanent records of the presence of anything they might appear as, enough Serendipity could do it, or 30 points/level control of Space (POWERS, p.92) could inflict -1 in distance penalties per level , with an appropriate Accessibility limit (only vs mechanical observation) to keep the cost down.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote