Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
ShadowCharlatan

Default Titanfall 2 mechs

Is there any currently published material that would best simulate the different Titanfall 2 mechs ? Preferably 4e
ShadowCharlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Default Re: Titanfall 2 mechs

If they are above SM 4 the Spaceships series has a book that deals with Mecha. Other than that they could be created as a character template using advantages from Basic and Powers to define what they can do.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
A Ladder

If you're ok with building mechs as templates (or don't have Spaceships) I found you can emulate them pretty easily with just giving them traits.

I ran a Pacific Rim campaign where half the missions were done in the Jaegers (Mechs for those not in the know).

Just figure out how much strength you want to give your base mechs (I used the "D scale" from Powers for Strength, HP, and DR)

Here's part of my template:
Advantages:
Machine Meta-trait: Immunity to Metabolic Hazards, Injury Tolerance (No Blood, Unliving), Unhealing (Total)
Digital Mind
Doesn't Eat / Drink
Doesn't Breathe
Doesn't Sleep
Pressure Support 3
Sealed
Vacuum Support
Temperature Tolerance 10
High Pain Threshold
No Head
No Neck
No Vitals

Disadvantage:
Electrical
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
Maz

I played alot of Titanfall 2, cool game.

I don't know of any published material you could just pick up and use. I think you would have to do them from scratch, although you can use some base templates like A Ladder's excellent one above. And then add a base ST, speed, DR and damage of main gun.

Then customize them to include each mechs specialty. Some are faster and more nimble, others tougher and slower. The more problematic aspect is their "Core power" (It's a sort of ultimate power you build up by dealing damage). I would switch it around and simply make it a power that cost a lot of "FP" and let FP build up over time.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
Maz

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...fa3cdacf03.jpg

Based on the above picture I'd put the mechs at SM+3.
That should give them a ST of ~35.

The weapons they wield aren't THAT big. Some of them are "sci-fi weapons" which doesn't match realworld weapons. But there is a 20mm chaingun and a 40mm launcher.

A 20mm chaingun does around 6dx3 (2) pi+. With AP.
A 40mm launcher with explosives would proably be 4d(10) cr ex. with linked explosion and fragmentation.

Those put DR around DR:100-120.

The biggest problem, as always with big mechs, is that they won't be able to punch each other for damage. there is a few work-arounds for that. But you'd have to accept some handwaving.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Look at Modular Mecha by David Pulver in Pyramid 51.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #7
A Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...fa3cdacf03.jpg

Based on the above picture I'd put the mechs at SM+3.
That should give them a ST of ~35.
...snip...
Those put DR around DR:100-120.

The biggest problem, as always with big mechs, is that they won't be able to punch each other for damage. there is a few work-arounds for that. But you'd have to accept some handwaving.
Personally I would go with DR 100, since we actually want to inflict damage when mechs fight.
How I would do it: SM +3 requires a minimum ST of 35. That's like giving a warrior ST 10.
I would suggest giving them a ST score of 50 (twice as much ST needed to support SM +3). Slap a Striker on them for their fists (punching at 5d+7 before any bonuses from skill), and give it armor divisor (5) to (10) and you can have mechs hurt each other, even through DR 100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The other route is to take the published fluff and convert it to a vehicle stat block. You won't be simulating the game directly but rather a more realistic interpretation of the same setting. I may take a quick stab at the Altas if I have any time later.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
Personally I would go with DR 100, since we actually want to inflict damage when mechs fight.
How I would do it: SM +3 requires a minimum ST of 35. That's like giving a warrior ST 10.
I would suggest giving them a ST score of 50 (twice as much ST needed to support SM +3). Slap a Striker on them for their fists (punching at 5d+7 before any bonuses from skill), and give it armor divisor (5) to (10) and you can have mechs hurt each other, even through DR 100.
Yea, good call. I might make it a special AOA though. As in the game, doing melee strikes is a slow process compared to shooting. It leaves you open, and also, it makes you unready to make other attacks (including another strike) for about a second (which feels like forever). So call it an AOA:strong attack with the Unready feature from big unwieldy weapons.

Tags
mechs, robots, titanfall, ultra-tech, vehicles