Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
chang

Default backpack? and some other minor confussion thx

hi, i play munchkin a while ago, but dont have the original one anymore.
so.. about SUPER MUNCHKIN
i remember i could "put some item on my backpack" and flip the card as "inactive"
1. can i do this on super munchkin? (is nowhere mention on the rules sheet)
2. anyone can refresh me how this works? during my turn as i put down the rest of my cards?

other few questions (is being a while since i played :P)
1.. i can trade cards for 1 lvl (1000 gold) from my hand as well as from my active (table), right?
2. I can only LOOK FOR TROUBLE or LOOT THE ROOM if i didnt got a monster by knocking the door, right? no both? we got into a discussion with this on our last game..
3. if i drawn a TRAP .. i can look for trouble or loot the room after i solve the trap right?
thx
chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: backpack? and some other minor confussion thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chang View Post
hi, i play munchkin a while ago, but dont have the original one anymore.
so.. about SUPER MUNCHKIN
i remember i could "put some item on my backpack" and flip the card as "inactive"
1. can i do this on super munchkin? (is nowhere mention on the rules sheet)
2. anyone can refresh me how this works? during my turn as i put down the rest of my cards?
In the rules, it says on page 5, at the start of the 4th paragraph under Items, "You should indicate Items that can’t help you, or extras not being worn, by turning the cards sideways." I'll give some more context to that: All of your Items in play are considered carried, some are used (currently giving you a special ability or bonus), while the rest are unused and should be turned sideways. The game does not ever define the term "backpack," and since there seems to be multiple interpretations of what that term may mean, we heavily discourage the term's use on these forums to avoid confusion. If you stick to used/equipped or unused/unequipped (both terms used in the rules), it pretty much defines how those cards should be viewed, and everyone will know what you mean.

Quote:
other few questions (is being a while since i played :P)
1.. i can trade cards for 1 lvl (1000 gold) from my hand as well as from my active (table), right?
Yes, you can sell Items from those you have in play, as well as Item cards from your hand.

Quote:
2. I can only LOOK FOR TROUBLE or LOOT THE ROOM if i didnt got a monster by knocking the door, right? no both? we got into a discussion with this on our last game..
You can either look for trouble or loot the room, but not both, and only if you have did not face a Monster when you kicked open the door.

Quote:
3. if i drawn a TRAP .. i can look for trouble or loot the room after i solve the trap right?
If you find a Trap! when you kick open the door, it affects you. Once it's resolved, you may either look for trouble or loot the room since you didn't face a Monster when you kicked open the door.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
chang

omg!! thx that was so fast!!!
thx for that link, i ll print that booklet. For some reason my booklet only have 4 pages <.< .. and was super vague about the items, and lacking my original one i couldn't remember even the proper term ( :P .. sorry bout that)

so.. i tried to put all my carried item down, put some as used and others as unused on our last game, but my friend pop up a question that make doubt the rules (hence come here).. if i can put unlimited items down when would i ever need "charity"? or is that because of the amount of monsters/traps/wondering monsters/and such non-items cards that can end up in your hand and you cant put down in your table as "carried"

again thanks so much, this would help a lot..

and ha i won the discussion bout the loot and looking for trouble.. lol...
chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:24 AM   #4
Clipper

Quote:
so.. i tried to put all my carried item down, put some as used and others as unused on our last game, but my friend pop up a question that make doubt the rules (hence come here).. if i can put unlimited items down when would i ever need "charity"? or is that because of the amount of monsters/traps/wondering monsters/and such non-items cards that can end up in your hand and you cant put down in your table as "carried"
Charity is quite a rare occurrence, but it can still happen from your hand filling up with Door cards you can't use (other examples include extra Powers or Classes when you already have your maximum number in play) and non-Item Treasures as you surmised, as you are only able to carry Items.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:38 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
omg!! thx that was so fast!!!
thx for that link, i ll print that booklet. For some reason my booklet only have 4 pages
You're probably playing with a set printed before May 2010. All printings of Munchkin games after 2010 have the new 6-page format for the rules, as well as some card changes that are mostly clarifications. All of those changes are documented here, and a link to that page can be found in the FAQ. However, I'm fairly confident that, though not as large, the original 4-page rules booklet said the same thing, just obviously on a different page number. I'm trying to find an old copy. . .
MiB #1029
Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Cherylanne

I hear ya -- you almost wonder what is the point of "Charity" or hand limits if you can just carry all your items sideways. BTW, "backpack" is what we call it, too -- I think Steve Jackson called it that when he was on TableTop. :)

So my question would be: can you just put ANY item from your hand into this sideways/unequipped position (unless it is a big item and you already have one there or in use)?

In other words, are you supposed to be able to play an item first in order to put it in front of you, and THEN and only then if it becomes useless (or you get a better item) you can turn it sideways? Or can it just go straight from your hand to the sideways/unequipped-but-in-front-of-you position until you want to use it?

I sort of assumed the first one, but the Munchkin rules don't specifically address this. Maybe I should make it a house rule ;) Because I rarely use the "sideways" option, but I have friends who will carry LOTS of cards there just so they don't have to give anything to charity. Which seems wrong somehow...?
Cherylanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

You can play Items to the table as unused. That's why there's no rule specifically saying that they must be used first. Otherwise, you'd never be able to play Items your Class/Race/etc. couldn't use, or one-shot Items to the table.

And, I'll state again: We do not want people using the term backpack on these forums. It's not an official game term and, since I've seen 3 or 4 different definitions of that term used on these forums and back on the old mailing list (now defunct), I'd prefer to avoid the confusion going forward. You and everyone else are more than welcome to do what they want at home, but here, we have to worry about consistency.
MiB #1029