Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #131
Icelander

Default Re: [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
In that case the tool kit isn't going to available for sale at any of those places.
I was assuming you'd need to buy more than hand tools to get a portable tool kit. You can assemble what amounts to basic equipment from a hardware store, but it's not always sold in one package.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #132
Kalzazz

Most car whisperers I know seem remarkably adept at fixing things enough to get them home with a bath towel roll of tools in their trunk

Motorcycle shops tend to have well lit by adjustable lamps and with assorted clamps and magnifying glasses on arms areas for cleaning and rebuilding tiny carburetor bits, and often hoists for holding bikes partially aloft
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #133
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
In that case the tool kit isn't going to available for sale at any of those places.
From Sears... maybe.

From a hardware/automotive parts store, more likely. I'd allow a Portable Toolkit to be assembled from Ace... and definitely from Harbor Freight!

For example this one would be a Cheap (Fragile), Cheap (Finicky), Portable Mechanic Toolkit.

The negatives (in the positive reviews) all focus on wrench/ratchet sizes not being included (or outright missing when purchased) and tools rusting quickly. But for 200 dosh what do you expect? Craftsmen quality? Pffft.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:09 AM   #134
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
From Sears... maybe.

From a hardware/automotive parts store, more likely. I'd allow a Portable Toolkit to be assembled from Ace... and definitely from Harbor Freight!

For example this one would be a Cheap (Fragile), Cheap (Finicky), Portable Mechanic Toolkit.

The negatives (in the positive reviews) all focus on wrench/ratchet sizes not being included (or outright missing when purchased) and tools rusting quickly. But for 200 dosh what do you expect? Craftsmen quality? Pffft.
Note that the closest store to the Border Patrol housing at Fort Bliss we were placed in, the Army and Air Force Exchange Service, sells Craftsman just like Sears.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #135
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Note that the closest store to the Border Patrol housing at Fort Bliss we were placed in, the Army and Air Force Exchange Service, sells Craftsman just like Sears.
Naturally. They're selling to army/air force mechanics and mechanized infantry that like having a few extra spare tools in their kit for field problems and Craftsman has not only a healthy reputation for quality but for customer service with it's tool replacement policy.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #136
Icelander

Quote:
Side digression:
Am I the only person who thinks there needs to be a Portable Workshop level of toolkit?
Yeah, I've wondered that myself. Seems like a typical PC purchase. More expensive than a pistol, less expensive than a pimped-out sniper rifle with all the fixings. Too bulky to carry around, not too bulky to fit in the party vehicle and be powered by access to electrical outlets by preference, but could be used for certain tasks using a generator, fuel cells or a whole lot of batteries.

Quote:
So even the Player acknowledges that O'Toole is a tool. I can respect that.
I think he's basing O'Toole on all the negative stereotypes of people one hates at work. Unreliable in a true crisis, psychopathically callous to literally everything other than his personal goals and yet uncannily good at taking credit for other people's successes, avoiding responsibility for failures and covering their posteriors.

Certain to end up in a managment job some day... or at least he would be, if he was interested in a future career with the US government.

As he's only working for the federal government in order to get a security clearance and infiltrate Onyx Rain, I don't know what will become of him once he fulfils his goal of tracking Vargas down and getting answers about his parentage and powers. Maybe he'll become an upwardly mobile middle-manager of a drug cartel, doing his part to make the outlaw lifestyle as miserable as possible.

At least he now has a PC boss, which is really funny. Agent Rubio specifically avoided asking for more agents to be temporarily assigned to her in El Paso, figuring it would look bad and reflect poorly upon her first command assignment. So she pretty much had O'Toole do everything, up to and including fetching her takeout. And then she went home for a last night in her own bed, leaving O'Toole to spend a restless night keeping watch over their 'assets', i.e. former test subjects of Project Jade Serenity whose potential for disastrous, impulsive acts of destructive foolishness is literally astronomical.

The PC new team leader is a talented, experienced field agent... with no experience as a supervisor and only minimal skills related to the job.* O'Toole, of course, is a gifted subordinate... in an office. His field credentials leave a lot to be desired. Also, he's probably planning to betray us all.

We may be playing Suicide Squad vs. Office Space: Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

*Yes, she embodies the Peter Principle.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #137
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I've wondered that myself. Seems like a typical PC purchase. More expensive than a pistol, less expensive than a pimped-out sniper rifle with all the fixings. Too bulky to carry around, not too bulky to fit in the party vehicle and be powered by access to electrical outlets by preference, but could be used for certain tasks using a generator, fuel cells or a whole lot of batteries.
Yup, that's what I envision. A couple of rolling large tool cabinets, maybe a few power tools or an air socket driver and an air generator (with adapters to plug into the work truck).

Or rather like what the Stepfather drove, a work truck with all the tool cabinets built into the bed, and a few power outlets to plug in various power tools (he could load an air generator into the bed if he needed one - he usually did). There was even a boom arm with an engine hoist. It was almost a full workshop, it was just missing a few specialized tools (car lifts, big block engine hoist, specialized digital diagnostic tools, etc), but then he was a remote site diesel mechanic (mostly light construction equipment - Bobcats, backhoes, front end loaders, etc).

Quote:
I think he's basing O'Toole on all the negative stereotypes of people one hates at work. Unreliable in a true crisis, psychopathically callous to literally everything other than his personal goals and yet uncannily good at taking credit for other people's successes, avoiding responsibility for failures and covering their posteriors.
Let him know we think he's doing a phenomenal job. Phenomenal.

Quote:
We may be playing Suicide Squad vs. Office Space: Once Upon a Time in Mexico.
Excellent...
Old 06-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #138
Icelander

On the subjects of mechanic tools, is there any hand tool useful for fixing cars or motorcycles that is 18"-24" long, weighs around 2-3 lbs. and can be used as a balanced blunt instrument?

Basically, a blunt tool with a weight distribution closer to machete or falchion than to axes or maces. Something to use with the Shortsword skill which does sw+1 cr at the cost of weighing a lot more than a baton and having higher MinST. It's OK if it only counts as an improvised weapon and requires a Perk to avoid a skill penalty.

I know that a lot of mechanic's tools are usable with the Axe/Mace skill as unbalanced weapons and a few might count as Knobbed Clubs (and thus balanced), but it would be nice to find something that specifically worked with machete techniques. For roleplaying purposes.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #139
Kalzazz

My former kenjutsu instructor in bygone college days positively extolled the virtues of floor jacks and their handles, he considered the handles to be positively swordlike, logical to carry in the back seat of your car in easy reach (complete with jack), and the floor jack to be infinitely superior to the little bottle or scissor jacks usually found in cars. So in kenjutsu class we dutifully practiced flailing around with jack handles

Combination wrenches should be reasonably balanced due to having a weight on both ends, and come in all sizes

Lengths of pipe used as 'cheater bars' to slip over a wrench would work, since all the batons I've used have just been very light pipes with rounded ends, this would be a heavy pipe with open ends, which would probably knock it from baton up to shortsword
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #140
acrosome

Quote:
On the subjects of mechanic tools, is there any hand tool useful for fixing cars or motorcycles that is 18"-24" long, weighs around 2-3 lbs. and can be used as a balanced blunt instrument?
Torque wrench? In particular the slipper or click type without the socket attached.

The crescent wrenches really won't be long enough for you. That's all I can think of, other than the steel tubing used for welding together your own frames, like in a custom shop. And the floor jack handle mentioned above is essentially just a bit of steel tubing.

Last edited by acrosome; 06-12-2017 at 08:22 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
federal agencies, hans-christian vortisch, high-tech, jade serenity, modern firepower, special ops