Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #21
Purple Haze
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default Re: Yrth: surface highways through Zarak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds_ks View Post
In the Banestorm Rulebook in the chapter about Zarak it says:
- Zarakun (nearly) never allow non-Zarakun in their tunnels.
- For each of the big Clans there is (exactly) one trade town directly above their clan capital
- For each of the big Clans it is said with whom they trade. There are Clans that trade both with Sahud AND with Megalos.
Wrong. What it says, on page 158, is:

"Each clanhold has many connections to the surface, but only a few that are considered public knowledge. Outside each is a trade-town, where dwarves meet with non-dwarves to buy and sell."

Each clan has more than one trade-town.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #22
dds_ks
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default Re: Yrth: surface highways through Zarak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
Wrong. What it says, on page 158, is:

"Each clanhold has many connections to the surface, but only a few that are considered public knowledge. Outside each is a trade-town, where dwarves meet with non-dwarves to buy and sell."

Each clan has more than one trade-town.
Oh, interesting point of view. I read the same passage, but had a different interpretation.

I thought that "Outside each..." would refer to each of the (seven) clanholds (of the major clans), not to the (many) connections to the surface.

My reason: If only few connections are public knowledge, but each of them - even the unknown ones - have a trade town, then I would think that this would be a spoil of ressources. And the religion of Zarakun is absolutely not in favour of spoiling any ressource.
But on the other hand: I'm not a native speaker, so I may be wrong.
dds_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #23
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Yrth: surface highways through Zarak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds_ks View Post
Oh, interesting point of view. I read the same passage, but had a different interpretation.

I thought that "Outside each..." would refer to each of the (seven) clanholds (of the major clans), not to the (many) connections to the surface.

My reason: If only few connections are public knowledge, but each of them - even the unknown ones - have a trade town, then I would think that this would be a spoil of ressources. And the religion of Zarakun is absolutely not in favour of spoiling any ressource.
But on the other hand: I'm not a native speaker, so I may be wrong.
I read it as "outside each of the few connections that are public knowledge". Though I'll admit I think that because its the one of the three possibilities that makes the most sense to me.
__________________
Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Yrth: surface highways through Zarak?

If each clan has "a few" publicly known entrances, that implies a minimum of 21 trading nexuses, whether there is a town there or not.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #25
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Yrth: surface highways through Zarak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If each clan has "a few" publicly known entrances, that implies a minimum of 21 trading nexuses, whether there is a town there or not.
Few does not mean three or more. "couple" would not be used because it consistently means two, and would imply an exact number for each clan. Few also behaves interestingly when you apply it to a big group like 7 dwarf towns. I'd argue that 7 clans with 12 towns have a "few towns each", but even if you insist that "few" means "multiple", 15 would easily fit the description of "a few publicly known entrances".
__________________
Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Yrth: surface highways through Zarak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Few does not mean three or more. "couple" would not be used because it consistently means two, and would imply an exact number for each clan.
Couple would have imply an average of two, few seems to imply a higher average. Granted that could be just slighty over two so, 15 or more trading nexuses with or without towns.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #27
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: Yrth: surface highways through Zarak?

Each clan would probably have sally ports or at least have a route to dig them precharted. Those would naturally be kept secret.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:52 AM   #28
dds_ks
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default Re: Yrth: surface highways through Zarak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I read it as "outside each of the few connections that are public knowledge". Though I'll admit I think that because its the one of the three possibilities that makes the most sense to me.
You're right, that version makes most sense.
Thank you, that helps me with my problem to make "finding a land route from western Megalos to Sahud" an adventure.
dds_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
surface, trade town, yrth, zarak

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.