Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
cybermancer2k1
 
cybermancer2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Default 3e-4e Vehicle Conversion Question

I was trying to convert some GURPS Traveller starships to 4e using the examples in Book 2 as a guide. I'm not quite sure what the relationship is between the vehicle's ST and its Loaded Weight/Load. I assumed going in that the ST is calculated based on the vehicles Loaded Weight or Load, but my numbers keep coming up unbalanced. How is the ST for a vehicle calculated under 4e? Should it be calculated per the rules in Book 1 or Update, or is there a formula missing somewhere?

All the other vehicle stats transferred over very smoothly (HP, DR, etc.) I just got stuck on the ST-Wt. ratio thing.

____________________________________
Michael Brown, Graphic Designer, Illustrator
"The word 'impossible' is found...only in the dictionary of fools."
--Dr. Hans Reinhardt, "The Black Hole"
cybermancer2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
Sam Baughn
 
Sam Baughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Re: 3e-4e Vehicle Conversion Question

Shouldn't ST be determined by the power of the drivetrain?
__________________
Previously known as "Perfect Organism" - name changed Feb 5, 2018
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 10:57 PM   #3
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee
 
David L Pulver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In the UFO
Default Re: 3e-4e Vehicle Conversion Question

[QUOTE=cybermancer2k1]I was trying to convert some GURPS Traveller starships to 4e using the examples in Book 2 as a guide. I'm not quite sure what the relationship is between the vehicle's ST and its Loaded Weight/Load.

____________________________________

Vehicle ST does not relate to its loaded weight. In terms of characters, vehicles have PAYLOAD, the Advantage of having extra load above Strength.

A vehicle's power output, of course, relates to its total loaded weight. A vehicle's ST is essentially what is left over after subtracting the power went into ST and speed. In practice, the limit is more structural ST, so find ST the same way you find HP: (the cube root of vehicle empty weight in tons) x 50.
David L Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
cybermancer2k1
 
cybermancer2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Default Re: 3e-4e Vehicle Conversion Question

Cool. Thanks

____________________________________
Michael Brown, Graphic Designer, Illustrator
"The word 'impossible' is found...only in the dictionary of fools."
--Dr. Hans Reinhardt, "The Black Hole"
cybermancer2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 12:05 AM   #5
Lupus
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finland
Default Re: 3e-4e Vehicle Conversion Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver
A vehicle's power output, of course, relates to its total loaded weight. A vehicle's ST is essentially what is left over after subtracting the power went into ST and speed. In practice, the limit is more structural ST, so find ST the same way you find HP: (the cube root of vehicle empty weight in tons) x 50.
I've been wondering how to calculate Body ST for Mecha easily, so that I could use the new 4e strength rules with them. And apparently the arm ST with robot arms also has to be calculated differently. Most of all I really would like to know how to calculate the effect of extra load on the Mecha's movement, and on the leg ST for kicking purposes.

And doesn't the structural strength affect the HP or ST values with anything but with it's weight? For example if the vehicle is built with extra-heavy structure? So wouldn't that affect the hit points and structural strenght also (extra payload capability), just as in 3e rules?

Any thoughts how to deal with these issues?
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:06 AM   #6
cccwebs
 
cccwebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Orange County, VA
Default Re: 3e-4e Vehicle Conversion Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus
I've been wondering how to calculate Body ST for Mecha easily, so that I could use the new 4e strength rules with them. And apparently the arm ST with robot arms also has to be calculated differently. Most of all I really would like to know how to calculate the effect of extra load on the Mecha's movement, and on the leg ST for kicking purposes.

And doesn't the structural strength affect the HP or ST values with anything but with it's weight? For example if the vehicle is built with extra-heavy structure? So wouldn't that affect the hit points and structural strenght also (extra payload capability), just as in 3e rules?

Any thoughts how to deal with these issues?
Sadly, there is no easy conversion available until a 4e Vehicles book comes out. If you really want to try, get a copy of the 4e update rules and use the quadratic ST conversion {4e ST = Sqrt(10* 3e ST) }for Arm ST (add Striking ST for damage) and the massive creatures rules for body ST {ST = 2 * (cube root of weight in pounds) }. It's not perfect, but it will pass until some beter conversions are published.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
Lupus
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finland
Default Re: 3e-4e Vehicle Conversion Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs
Sadly, there is no easy conversion available until a 4e Vehicles book comes out. If you really want to try, get a copy of the 4e update rules and use the quadratic ST conversion {4e ST = Sqrt(10* 3e ST) }for Arm ST (add Striking ST for damage) and the massive creatures rules for body ST {ST = 2 * (cube root of weight in pounds) }. It's not perfect, but it will pass until some beter conversions are published.
Thats pretty much that I had in mind if no one else can suggest a better way. But for striking damage (with Mecha) I think I will use my own formula; Swing = (STxST)/100 and thrust about half of that. This way it would follow the same principle as the lifting strength (which seems more realistic to me...) and the values below 20 even gets pretty much the same as in 4e damage table.
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:23 PM   #8
Lupus
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finland
Default Re: 3e-4e Vehicle Conversion Question

Heh. This way an ST50 elephant would have the same thrusting power as a .50 caliber gun (13d), only if it had metallic thrusting point instead of bone tusks. Sounds plausible to me...
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:03 AM   #9
Lupus
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finland
Default Re: 3e-4e Vehicle Conversion Question

I know this would be against the rule that damages are all square of the energy, not linear, but it seems to work with the 3e HP and DR values with Mecha.
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.