Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #61
larsdangly

Default Re: Current play?

Playing a solo module cooperatively is a good suggestion.

Another is to change up the scenario to add another element to game play. Some things I like to do with Melee/Wizard

- Use the MH tiles (terrain side 'up') to create a complex landscape for your battle

- Play 'capture the flag' instead of 'murder everyone'. When I do this, people are naturally allowed to murder each other as an incidental part of game play, but you win by returning the opponent's flag/totem/whatever to your side

- Combine the last two ideas for a wild and wooly game of maneuver and strategy

- Do standard team combat, but let each side choose teams from a caste of wild combatants in addition to the usual fighters and wizards: a small dragon; a giant; a gargoyle; a little pack of 3 wolves; a troll; etc.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:48 AM   #62
Allensh

I have been running The Chaos Triads for six players on Thursdays. Four new characters debuting this week after a bit of a problem... :)

Allen
Allensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:59 AM   #63
larsdangly

'Mistakes were made...'
Old 04-17-2019, 05:11 AM   #64
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
'Mistakes were made...'
A mistake is when you spill your coffee. When you spill your brains, well that's something else entirely...
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:26 AM   #65
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
A mistake is when you spill your coffee. When you spill your brains, well that's something else entirely...
Gah! That one made me laugh.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #66
larsdangly

Time to revive our 'current play' thread!

Last night I was in the mood to game but everyone was sacked out, so I whipped up a super fun solitaire rumble:

Setting: The neoprene Wizard map, with all imaged terrain 'on'. Note the MH scale pillars were assumed to be about 10' high.

Team 1: Two randomly drawn fighter cards, a standard issue giant, and a gargoyle (using the stats for a summoned one, not a starting PC).

Team 2: Two randomly drawn fighter cards, a 4-hex dragon and a ST 20 green slime.

I was thinking of throwing a wizard on each side, but wasn't in the mood to write them up or dig into my campaign NPCs (those new wizard cards in DoD will come in handy for this sort of situation...).

The fight is ongoing (I had to retreat to my dream chamber before a winner could be decided), and is surprisingly dramatic. When you play a flying combatant smart, they have a lot of options at their disposal. And, a slime might seem like a trivial nuisance to a bunch of adventurers armed with torches, but what should you do when no one on your team has fire and you have to pay attention to what other foes are doing? That 4' wide acidic booger can actually cause you some serious tactical problems...
Old 05-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #67
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Loving the play reports! We need a similar thread at BGG so more gamers can see these. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...legacy-edition
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #68
larsdangly

A brief AAR on my wild 4 vs. 4 match up outlined above: Against all expectations the slime was a major difference maker. He was lurking nearby when the gargoyle, who was on point for his side and actively engaged with both fighters, took a serious wound and was knocked to the ground. Slime-o immediately engaged in HTH as his (her? its? their?) action, got a favorable 1d result and gooped the poor 'goyle. He eventually struggled to his feet but never managed to scrape it off (which I permit on a 4d roll, as if disengaging from HTH) before he was dissolved. The giant made things interesting for a bit, making superb use of his push-back ability, which broke up the other side's position and quickly got the opposing 'tank' fighter on the ground and set up for a stomp. ... Which fumbled with an 18, putting the giant *** over teacups on the ground. He immediately came in for a beat down by the opposing fighters and didn't last long. An erol flyn style fighter on the giant's side made an epic leap across a pit into a foe's side hex to set up a fight-saving aimed thrust ... which fumbled with a 17 dropping the weapon. The rest was mopping up time. The dragon was very effective as opportunistic air support, avoiding engagement and flittering across the battlefield delivering attacks of opportunity. All in all a very exciting fight!
Old 05-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #69
hcobb

Green Slimes are invulnerable to anything a Melee fighter can do. You need the ITL rules to deal with it. (Note the common sword and torch configuration in the ITL illustrations.)

A typical giant is only worth one and a half starting human fighters while a 4-hex dragon is worth three human fighters.

Therefore the dragon and slime team (how exactly is a slime part of a party?) had a huge firepower advantage.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #70
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original_Carl View Post
She was not amused, and isn’t interested in playing again anytime soon. It’s breaking my heart. I really wanted to play this system with her and I think I may have damaged my first chance to win her over.

Can you think of some ways to reintroduce Melee to someone who had a bad experience? Any must-play scenarios that could win over a reluctant participant?
I've had this happen, although it was backgammon. My christmas set has been shelved for years, a week or so after getting it. :(

The good news is that in TFT, as others have said, you can play co-operatively. I'd suggest setting things up in your favour for the next battle whenever that happens, after you explain how much you'dlike to try again. How about each of you take an 11/13 long-bow/spear/running/missile weapons v a dumb giant? Wizard map, with a huge pit in the center that the giant will have to go around. So lots of chances to soften him up on the approach, stay out of his way for a while, then finish him off with a joint charge.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote